tax refunds

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
paganempath
Since there has been such an uproar over government assistance lately, here's a thought. Some are so adamant that everyone should pay for every little thing concerning their children and it's the parents' sole responsibility to do so. For those individuals, how do you justify accepting tax refunds? The government gives everyone with children a big fat bonus. And if you didn't have the children, they'd keep all that extra money. So they are giving you back some of your money to support your children. THAT is government assistance. If you don't want to be a hypocrite, you'd have to refuse the portion of the refund that relates to the children. So how many of those out there do refuse it? Show of hands....
May 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
huh? I"m lost.. I thought tax refunds were YOUR money the govt was giving back to you

May 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy

Color me confused because I don't consider a tax refund public assistance...the amount of money you get back is determined by your income, how much you work, etc.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
right its YOUR money, or so I thought

May 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
This makes no sense. That is why it is called a refund, it is a return of your own money.

May 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We gladly take back the big hunka money that was taken out of my hardworking husband's paycheck throughout the year! He worked very hard for that money.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
May 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

Color me confused because I don't consider a tax refund public assistance...the amount of money you get back is determined by your income, how much you work, etc.[/b]
I can say that I got back A LOT more this past year (having a child) then I did years before. You bet your bottom that I accepted it!
[/b]
ME TOO! Mattea made the cutoff by one day, bless her heart
May 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I think the point is to question child tax credits and whether the government allowing for less taxes to be taken from those with children is a form of government assistance.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
assisstance? no.. they just take LESS of your own money, they aren't giving you extra

you earned it, you literally worked for that money and they are taking less

May 2nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
ahixon
No, not with earned income credit, I don't think. And the child tax credits I don't think are based on your taxes paid in, but the number of children you have. I could be wrong, but I know that we get back more than we pay in.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Then I think we need clarification.. cause the OP says refund...

Q1. What is the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?

A1. The earned income credit (EITC) is a tax credit for certain people who work and have earned income in tax year 2006 under $38,348. A tax credit usually means more money in your pocket. It reduces the amount of tax you owe. The EITC may also give you a refund.

Return to EITC Questions and Answers

Q2. Who can claim the credit?

A2. To claim the EITC on your tax return, you must meet all of the following rules:

Must have a valid Social Security Number
You must have earned income from employment or from self-employment.
Your filing status cannot be married, filing separately.
You must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien all year, or a nonresident alien married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien and filing a joint return.
You cannot be a qualifying child of another person.
If you do not have a qualifying child, you must:
o
be age 25 but under 65 at the end of the year,
o
live in the United States for more than half the year, and
o
not qualify as a dependent of another person
Cannot file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (related to foreign earn income)
EITC Thresholds and Limitations

Return to EITC Questions and Answers

The United States federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable tax credit that reduces or eliminates the taxes that low-income working people pay (such as payroll taxes) and also frequently operates as a wage subsidy for low-income workers. Enacted in 1975, the then very small EITC was expanded in 1986, 1990, 1993, and 2001 with each major tax bill, regardless of whether the tax bill in general raised taxes (1990), lowered taxes (2001), or eliminated other deductions and credits (1986). Today, the EITC is one of the largest anti-poverty tools in the United States (despite the fact that income measures, including the poverty rate, generally do not account for the credit), and enjoys broad bipartisan support.

May 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
paganempath
Quote:
No, not with earned income credit, I don't think. And the child tax credits I don't think are based on your taxes paid in, but the number of children you have. I could be wrong, but I know that we get back more than we pay in.[/b]
Hey, a person who actually understands! Thank you. There are taxpayers who get back much more money than they put in solely because of the number of children they have. I was not one of them last year, but if I had two children instead of just one, I would've received more than what I paid in. How is that not free money?

*ETA* And in my case, it was without any sort of EIC.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Its not that we dont understand, you said refund... you werent clear

May 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
paganempath
Quote:
Its not that we dont understand, you said refund... you werent clear[/b]
What else would you like it be called? Did they send you two separate checks-- one for what you had paid in and one for any extra you might receive? I got only one check and it was called a refund check. It's unclear to me how that was unclear.
May 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
its called a credit not a refund. refund is your own money.

We get a tax refund every year but NO credits

you automatically are getting back your tax refund, but you have to apply for the credits, which by the way millions of people per year dont apply for the extra credit

May 2nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
ahixon
Well, I apply for them, and I am sooooo thankful to get them. We use that for major things, and to pay off medical bills that my husband and I build up throgh the year. We had to replace a bad floor with it one year, and we bought my car with it one year, I so don't know what we would do without it.
May 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Super Mommy
EIC is money that is not earned. It is given to you by the Government based solely on the number of children you produce. (By the strictest definition of Welfare:

Noun 1. welfare - governmental provision of economic assistance to persons in need
social welfare
social insurance - government provision for unemployed or injured or aged; financed by contributions from employers and employees as well as by government revenue
relief - aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped; "he has been on relief for many years"
pogey, pogy, dole - money received from the state
financial aid - assistance given in the form of money

And that is how I define the term in this post)

It is welfare and thus I would feel it was wrong.

HOWEVER, when I did try to apply for welfare when my 2 older children were small I WAS denied on the basis that EIC put me over the imcome limit. (How lovely.) And so I did accept it for 2 years (EIC). While I was completing training on my own dime and working 3 jobs.

As for how live with my hypocrisy, over 40% of the money my dh and I work for is taken from us by the Federal/State and Local Governments for taxes. I've more than paid the Feds back with interest. And will continue to do so, probably for the rest of my life.

E

Edited for spelling...

Quote:
Quote:
Its not that we dont understand, you said refund... you werent clear[/b]
What else would you like it be called? Did they send you two separate checks-- one for what you had paid in and one for any extra you might receive? I got only one check and it was called a refund check. It's unclear to me how that was unclear.
[/b]
No,there's only one check but all those papers H&R Block filled out would explain what is what.

E

May 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
As for how live with my hypocrisy, over 40% of the money my dh and I work for is taken from us by the Federal/State and Local Governments for taxes. I've more than paid the Feds back with interest. And will continue to do so, probably for the rest of my life.[/b]
I think this is a good justification for a lot of people who use gov't assistance too. They've not only paid into it already, but will continue paying for the rest of their lives.

And I do think that the EIC is gov't assistance.
May 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
As for how live with my hypocrisy, over 40% of the money my dh and I work for is taken from us by the Federal/State and Local Governments for taxes. I've more than paid the Feds back with interest. And will continue to do so, probably for the rest of my life.[/b]
I think this is a good justification for a lot of people who use gov't assistance too. They've not only paid into it already, but will continue paying for the rest of their lives.

And I do think that the EIC is gov't assistance.
[/b][/quote]

Do a lot of people use welfare for less than 3 years and within 5 years of that pay a 40% tax rate? I heard in another thread that often people who are on wlefare can't get off because they don't know any other way.

E

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search