School withholds degree

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Story

What do you think of this? Should the school have been able to withhold her degree for this photo? Is that an invasion of privacy or a relevant thing to judge her on since it was apparently accessible to her students?

(BTW... the university in question is the one I am currently attending AND the school where she was student teaching is the school where I will be student teaching next semester. My professors have also told us that there is more to the story than what is in the papers but for legal reasons the school itself cannot comment on the additional information - but I have very mixed feelings on what I know about the story so I thought I'd throw it out here)
May 2nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is in the schools' policy on things like this?

I am trying to get it to load, but I know that even if I dont agree with things, if its in the policy, you either follow it or dont.. its your fault if you break the rules

May 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
She is of legal age to drink and she posted a picture on her web page. I hope this is not the whole story, because this is ridiculous.

May 2nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
When I pulled up that article I completely expected to find out that the woman had posed for nude photos or something.

I did not see anything wrong with the picture. I have a degree in elementary education and I would have been angry if I posted a picture like that and someone held it against me.

I do think it is a bit wrong to hold teachers to such a high standard. Some people tend to think we aren't allowed to have lives outside of school.

That being said I am careful about what I do in public and what I post on Myspace. I have also set my Myspace page to private so that snoopy parents and administrators cannot view it.

I don't see that the picture promotes underage drinking. She is 27 years old! She is perfectly legal to drink. Putting the pic on the internet may not have been the smartest thing but I don't think it should be held against her.

May 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
As far as I know, there is no CLEAR-CUT policy concerning this. There is a list of 7 dispositions that prospective teachers are supposed to develop and one of them is about maintaining a professional attitude and image and I'm guessing that is what they are basing this on.

I just don't understand how they would just issue a BA instead of a BS. Okay, if she got poor ratings on the professionalism part of her student teaching evaluation and if that was enough to give her an unsatisfactory rating for her student teaching, okay, whatever. I guess she would just have to do student teaching again. I just don't see a basis for the specific actions that were taken here, even if they decided that the photo was a big issue.
May 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
She is of legal age to drink and she posted a picture on her web page. I hope this is not the whole story, because this is ridiculous.[/b]
Exactly. If there's not a policy stating that students can't drink, they have no reason to withhold her diploma. ANd even if they did have such a policy, if it was school-wide then she wouldn't have gotten ANY diploma instead of one for a different discipline.
May 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Super Mommy
I saw this the other day. I think the school is trying to protect the rest of the student body. In other words if they did not discipline her, you would do your Student Teaching, where?

And I'm sure there's a lot more to the story. But I think the school is doing what it can with an impossible situation.

E

May 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well the picture caption also says drunken pirate... not saying that has ANYTHING to do with it, but the pic is more than just drinking from a cup

May 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
They should give her the degree and teaching certificate she is owed from all her hard work. No one knows if the cup had booze in it. Besides the cup did not portray anything dirty, alchoholic beverages or illegal drugs. It said Mr. Good Bar. Like the candy bar I assume. I hope the courts make the college give her the degree she is owed. They should give her the money the lawyer was fighting for, for the trouble she has to go through now. There was nothing wrong with the picture. Other than it said drunken pirate. If she was of legal drinking age. Who cares about the picture.
May 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
well the picture caption also says drunken pirate... not saying that has ANYTHING to do with it, but the pic is more than just drinking from a cup[/b]
I agree with what Lauren is getting at here. She may win this battle since "unprofessional" is such a subjective term... who knows.... but I know I have seen our uni kick people out of the education program for getting caught underage drinking, I'm not real sure on the policy of overage. While I don't think they should completely withhold the degree that she earned I would be embarrassed by making such a bad judgement call when I was so close to getting my degree... I am amazed at how many teachers in our HS district do stuff like this... I just don't get it. How hard is it to keep those things private.. I mean I can't stand all the "here I am sooo drunk" here I am with my nati" comments...... if you are getting your degree and becoming a professional I think it's time to grow up.

May 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
When I pulled up that article I completely expected to find out that the woman had posed for nude photos or something.

I did not see anything wrong with the picture. I have a degree in elementary education and I would have been angry if I posted a picture like that and someone held it against me.

I do think it is a bit wrong to hold teachers to such a high standard. Some people tend to think we aren't allowed to have lives outside of school.

That being said I am careful about what I do in public and what I post on Myspace. I have also set my Myspace page to private so that snoopy parents and administrators cannot view it.

I don't see that the picture promotes underage drinking. She is 27 years old! She is perfectly legal to drink. Putting the pic on the internet may not have been the smartest thing but I don't think it should be held against her.[/b]
Ditto...
I ttotally expected nude pictures or something to a similar extent.

However, if it is a policy of some sort by the school to uphold certain behaviors and whatnot then I can understand withholding a diploma. DH's work has a "policy" like that. He works for a Christian company, and I'm sure if he were out preaching about another Religion, or getting extremely drunk in public, he could risk his job.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All I can say is thank HEAVENS that Michigan State University and Indiana State University do not (apparently) have similar policies. Hopefully they won't see my Myspace page one day and come by my house to reclaim "their" degrees.

May 3rd, 2007, 06:10 AM
Okay, I found out more about this last night and I think the school is justified. We had a meeting about student teaching, where next semester's student teachers get to talk to current student teachers and look at their projects and stuff. I happened to get to talk to a girl who is student teaching at the school where this girl was. She knew a lot more about what happened. Apparently the girl had blogs on her MySpace totally berating the teacher who she was working with (that used inappropriate language as well) and she was actively encouraging the students to go visit her MySpace to read these blogs. The teachers there also seem to think that she was just not a very good teacher - some have even said she was just plain incompetent. So I guess there is more to it than that photo - that's just what she is claiming it was about for her lawsuit.
May 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Okay, I found out more about this last night and I think the school is justified. We had a meeting about student teaching, where next semester's student teachers get to talk to current student teachers and look at their projects and stuff. I happened to get to talk to a girl who is student teaching at the school where this girl was. She knew a lot more about what happened. Apparently the girl had blogs on her MySpace totally berating the teacher who she was working with (that used inappropriate language as well) and she was actively encouraging the students to go visit her MySpace to read these blogs. The teachers there also seem to think that she was just not a very good teacher - some have even said she was just plain incompetent. So I guess there is more to it than that photo - that's just what she is claiming it was about for her lawsuit.[/b]

Ok, that's totally understandable. But what the origin article states is crazy... "promoting underage drinking"? She's 27, for goodness sake!

May 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, I found out more about this last night and I think the school is justified. We had a meeting about student teaching, where next semester's student teachers get to talk to current student teachers and look at their projects and stuff. I happened to get to talk to a girl who is student teaching at the school where this girl was. She knew a lot more about what happened. Apparently the girl had blogs on her MySpace totally berating the teacher who she was working with (that used inappropriate language as well) and she was actively encouraging the students to go visit her MySpace to read these blogs. The teachers there also seem to think that she was just not a very good teacher - some have even said she was just plain incompetent. So I guess there is more to it than that photo - that's just what she is claiming it was about for her lawsuit.[/b]

Ok, that's totally understandable. But what the origin article states is crazy... "promoting underage drinking"? She's 27, for goodness sake!
[/b]
I agree. I guess that is what she wants to make it seem like it was about.
May 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:

Now that makes more sense! I had a feeling there had to be more to the story. If she was encouraging students to read a blog where she "trashed" another teacher she is asking for trouble. She is entitled to her opinion of the teacher but she shouldn't share that with students and it is completely unprofessional.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search