It's not all black and white..(catchy, huh??!!)

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Veteran
I really truly am NOT racist. So don't even go there. I do, however, have a hard time understanding why people continue to think I owe them somehow for what has happened in the past. If I had nothing to do with it--and don't support it, why do I owe you? It was a sad thing that happened, but it's in our past--let's move towards better things.

A lot of African-Americans really don't like white people because of the past--isn't this reverse racism? The exact thing we are trying to get rid of?
May 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I really truly am NOT racist. So don't even go there. I do, however, have a hard time understanding why people continue to think I owe them somehow for what has happened in the past. If I had nothing to do with it--and don't support it, why do I owe you? It was a sad thing that happened, but it's in our past--let's move towards better things.

A lot of African-Americans really don't like white people because of the past--isn't this reverse racism? The exact thing we are trying to get rid of?[/b]
Ditto 100%...
May 2nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Veteran
*Gearing up for a heated one...*
May 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
LaceyMommy2B
i have a hard time with things like this, we are supposed to be striving for equality, yet we set aside certain months for different races.. you want to be equal, then dont expect to be treated different.. you cant have your cake n eat it to... if you want to be treated equal on somethings, you should get treated equal on all things. i believe that for all races, sexual orientations.. etc. i would be happy if all were treated equal, and it does make me mad that sometimes "that" card gets pulled for advantages.

ETA cause i chose the wrong word.. but instead of and.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I just want to restate that I did not write the above. I received it in an email. I just wanted to post it here to see what other people thought.[/b]
Hey, i agree with it too... It's hypocrisy, plain and simple.
May 3rd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ITA!!! I've never owned a slave and I don't know anyone who was a slave, and I refuse to kiss anyone's butt because of something my ancestors may have done (which they didn't).
May 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
chlodoll
Ridiculous. I think I need to stay far away from this debate or I may explode.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window

May 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Pure Innocence
Are we talking about like Black History Month? I don't think that is bad...unless I don't really understand what Black History Month is about so correct me if I am wrong...seriously, LOL!

I thought it was about teaching what happened during the slave times. If that is the case, I don't think that is bad because I see it as kind of like a "hey remember what happens when one race thinks they are superior? lets not do this again" kind of thing....Kind of like, out of sight out of mind type thing...so we keep bringing it into sight so that it doesn't happen again?

.....OR, I could be way off on what BHM is really about...lol

Oh, and I agree Subwolfer.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
chlodoll
Every other channel is white entertainment, every other month is white history month. The million man march was to gain EQUALITY, to be equal to everyone else and have the same rights as them. *** would white people be marching for? We have always had those rights? White people dont need an organization to advance themselves in life. That is the most racist piece of garbage there is.

And what does it mean YOU have Martin Luther King Day? Last time I checked white people get the day off work to so whats the problem.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Every other channel is white entertainment, every other month is white history month. The million man march was to gain EQUALITY, to be equal to everyone else and have the same rights as them. *** would white people be marching for? We have always had those rights? White people dont need an organization to advance themselves in life. That is the most racist piece of garbage there is.

And what does it mean YOU have Martin Luther King Day? Last time I checked white people get the day off work to so whats the problem.[/b]
If we are all equal, we should ALL have organizations to advance ourselves.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM
chlodoll
Because racism is still very prevalent and there are many people out there who do not see black people as equal.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nevermind -- it is not worth it.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Pure Innocence
I think it's important not to forget about slavery of ANY race, so I don't have a problem with BHM, but subwolfer hit the nail on the head with that email.....whites are discriminated against as well....just because we aren't slaves AND discriminated doesn't make it any less "wrong".
May 3rd, 2007, 07:32 AM
chlodoll
Segregation of black people was not that long ago, oppression was not that long ago, inequality was not that long ago. Many people still have these views.

White people may be discriminated against by some people but it doesnt prevent them from advancing in life.

Quote:
Nevermind -- it is not worth it.[/b]
May 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
Veteran
Quote:

And what does it mean YOU have Martin Luther King Day? Last time I checked white people get the day off work to so whats the problem.[/b]
I don't have a problem with MLK Day. He was a great man, and a day to celebrate him is fine. I don't have a problem with Black History Month either, nothing wrong with celebrating one's heritage.. But why---if whites did something like that--you know we'd be called racist.. It just seems to me there is just as much racism coming from the blacks towards whites as vice versa anymore.

I just don't like it when the 'race card' is pulled as if I owe someone. Do we really? I wasn't involved and neither were they.. I wish people would stop holding grudges against us when the majority of us are very nice people and have no racism in us. A lot of African-Americans hate us, and it's not fair. You know, crying "Racism racism" but then what is it that they are doing to us?

*Why do blacks prefer to be called African-Americans by the way? <---a genuine question. Why can't we all just be Americans? I don't request to be called European-American.. And the majority of African Americans were born here, not in Africa..
May 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
Pure Innocence
Where is everyone at in this debate? I'm not even that attached to it yet i'm the only one debating lol...

Anyway.......my point is that discrimination against ANY race is not good, and that whites are also discriminated against but no one cares because they don't have it "as bad" as other races.....which irks me because that right there is putting importance over another races discrimination than the others....which in itself...is discrimination.

Oh, and eashley, your post wasn't bad...why did you erase it?
May 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Segregation of black people was not that long ago, oppression was not that long ago, inequality was not that long ago. Many people still have these views.

White people may be discriminated against by some people but it doesnt prevent them from advancing in life.[/b]
Oh really?? Because last I checked---those of color had the upper hand when applying for jobs, college, etc..
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search