Childrens Physical Exams from Opposite Sex Dr.'s

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Should children see the same sex Dr. for physical exams?
Yes 6 20.69%
No 23 79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Pure Innocence
Do you think it's a good idea to have your child be seen by a Dr. of the opposite for physical exams? I understand that the Dr. isn't molesting them and they don't see anything sexual about it, it's all just medical reasons....but do you think a child fully understands that? Do you think children should only have physical exams with Dr.'s of the same sex? What are your thoughts?
May 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I doubt any doctor would molest my child with me standing right there. My kids (both DD and DS) have both always seen male doctors and I've never had a problem with it.

May 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
mommyKathyX3
I voted no because they are a DOCTOR, and my kids understand that as long as mommy and daddy said it was ok, doctors can see them in places other people cant, but if they ever feel uncomfortable to tell us. (though 99% of the time one of us would be with them anyway) Our family doc now is AWESOME! He says what he is going to do and WHY before he ever even TOUCHES our kids to them. Like my 6 yr old is very modest, and she was having some discharge down there and he had to check it last fall and he was so careful to explain what he was doing. I've got a boy and 2 girls, its not like I would get differnt docs for them. I go with who I feel comfortable with, not what thier gender is.
May 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
Tofu Bacon
I vote no, unless my child(ren) feel uncomfortable with it and would rather see a doctor of the same sex
May 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
^I agree

I love my family Dr. I started going to him when I was 5 and I plan for my children to go there as well whether they are boys or girls.

May 3rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
The doctor's gender doesnt matter to me. However, when I was a young teenager I felt for comfortable with a woman gynecologist over a male gynecologist. But now I dont care the gender.

If my kids feel uncomfortable with a doctor of the opposite sex, then we can get a different doctor. If not, then we'll keep the doctor we have.

May 3rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it all depends on the comfort of the child. There does come a certain age where i think some children CAN be uncomfortable, and i think that should be respected. When i was little, i had a lot of medical issues dealing with my bladder and kidneys, and therefore had a lot of tests, exams, and eventually surgery all being done "down there". For ME, having male doctors was a huge issue, and made me even more uncomfortable than i already was... It may seem silly to an adult, but as a kid it was very real to me. So i plan on respecting my son's preferences if he ever decides he'd prefer to have male doctors instead of female. No need to make doctor's visits more uncomfortable for kids than necessary, right?
May 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
mommyKathyX3
Honestly I would probably be more likely to get a teenage son a male doc instead of a female ONLY because I can just imagine the embaressment if she happened to be a little good looking and my son got a bit "aroused" Joey told me one time a nurse was a "hottie" at his docs office and he asked the doc if he could get a different nurse cause he was uncomfortable. He was a hornball though.

I agree though, if THEY felt uncomfortable I'd switch, but i think most of the time if YOU make it so that its ok, then they will feel fine with it. How many kids feel comfortable at the docs office anyway? lol
May 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
donomama
I voted yes. I had a male doctor growing up and it always made me really uncomfortable. We go to a big pediatric practice, and I have chosen a male doctor for my son and female for my daughter. If it is an emergency, I see whoever I can, but for their routine checkups, they see the doctor that is the same gender.
May 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
To me, I don't think it matters unless the child is uncomfortable, then that needs to be respected. I have seen both of the doctors in my son's pediatric practice - I love his typical doctor (male) but I absolutely hate the other one (female) and can't imagine taking my daughter to see her all the time should we have one.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
It doesn't matter to me. We are trying to teach Anthony at the moment that no one is allowed to touch or look at him down there without his permission and mommy and daddy's permission. Poor kid had some penis issues (UTI and urethritis- which made the head of his penis bleed ) this past weekend. When I took him to the UCC the doctor was female. She asked Anthony first if she could look at his penis and then she asked me. I really appreciated that. We are trying to teach our children to not be ashamed of their body, and that includes the shame that comes along with a member of the opposite sex looking at them. If our child said they would feel more comfortable with someone of the same sex we'll listen. But it's not going to be something we'll do until they ask.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
tevinsangel
I voted No. Right now, our pedi is female (our former doctor is male - we moved away but he was an awesome doctor). If my DS becomes uncomfortable having a female doctor, we will look for a male doctor for him. Same for DD if we had a male pedi and she was uncomfortable.
May 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I guess what it boils down to for me is that I'm going to be present for her physical exams, so our male pediatrician examining my daughter doesn't bother me.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
The only doc. Julia has that's a male is her dermatologist, and when we were living in CA, all of her doctors were females (I say "all", because we see a nutritionist, dermatologist, pediatrician, and GI doctor). That happened accidentally, though, I chose her doctors based on their credentials and which ones I felt more comfortable with. I suppose there could be some subconcious thing going on, but I doubt it lol My GYN is a male.
May 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I voted no also. Acutally the boys have a male ped and Dani has a female but that was all by chance. I have only had male doctors and have had no issues with them. They should be professionals if not move on.
May 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
donomama
To me, it's not about the doctor behaving inappropriately. I just didn't feel comfortable with a male doctor as a child, and don't want to put my kids in that uncomfortable position. It's not about sexual attraction. I would have no problem going to a lesbian. I would rather go to a lesbian than a man.
May 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
lschultz's Avatar Veteran
I prefer a same gender Dr for my kids.

Kayden Alaina Brian
May 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Pure Innocence
It's not about Dr.'s who may act inappropriate...Dr's are very professional, that is not my qualm at all. But as a child I saw a male Dr. once and I was young barely remember it but I HATED IT!! I didn't know how to say "mommy I don't want to do this" or "daddy"...I was too young to understand to tell them I didn't want to see this Dr. My children will be seen by the same sex Dr.'s once they aren't infants anymore.

If the child is comfortable with whatever gender that is great, but if a child is uncomfortable with a certain gender, I think that is of upmost (sp?) importance and should be the deciding factor kwim?
May 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
i voted no. He has a female pedi right now and i'm fine with that. If, in the future it gets uncomfortable for him we'll switch to male.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search