The Role of a Teacher

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
M4NE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What should a teacher's role be in a child's life? Should teachers strictly stick to teaching their subject matter or should they let their students know that they (the students) can come to them (the teachers) if they are having a problem? Would you be upset if your child went to their teachers with a problem?

I'm a teacher and I tell my kids on the first day of school that my door is always open to them. They know that if they need to talk, I'm always there for them. A lot of my kids at school have a very difficult homelife. For some of them, the only encouragement or affection they get is what they get at school. I know that there are some people who have different views on this issue, so I'm just wondering what's your take on the subject.

Edited for spelling. (And that's bad b/c I teach English, LOL)

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
brittbratt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to brittbratt Send a message via Yahoo to brittbratt
I think kids should be able to go to there teacher if they have a problem. I think sometimes kids feel more comfortable talking to someone other then their parents. Which is actually quite sad But if there are problems at home, or whatever, maybe the teacher can do something to help. My kids have awesome teachers. I always tell them if someone ever does something to them they dont like, whether it be another child, school staff, or anybody else, they tell my husband and I, their teacher, without fear of being in trouble or embarrassed. I also tell them that if their teacher does something they dont like or thats innapropriate, to tell us or the prinicipal. Its actually quite scary the state I live in, the past couple of months there have been numerous teachers who have been charged for molesting their students

May 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
irishxrose
I absolutely feel that kids should be able to go to a teacher if they are having problems. I went to a small school, so I was very close to my teachers, and I would talk to them about my problems and they would try to help as much as they could. It was very nice to have someone I could talk to.
May 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
The thought of anyone molesting a child makes my blood boil....How scary for you!!!! But you're right, sometimes kids feel more comfortable talking to someone who isn't their parent. It's the end of the year and all of my kids are moving up....It's really sad b/c I love them all so much and will miss them

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
tevinsangel
Quote:
What should a teacher's role be in a child's life? Should teachers strictly stick to teaching their subject matter or should they let their students know that they (the students) can come to them (the teachers) if they are having a problem? Would you be upset if your child went to their teachers with a problem?

I'm a teacher and I tell my kids on the first day of school that my door is always open to them. They know that if they need to talk, I'm always there for them. A lot of my kids at school have a very difficult homelife. For some of them, the only encouragement or affection they get is what they get at school. I know that there are some people who have different views on this issue, so I'm just wondering what's your take on the subject.

Edited for spelling. (And that's bad b/c I teach English, LOL)[/b]
I think your students are so fortunate to have a teacher like you. I went to a small Christian school and I never once remember a teacher taking time out to ask me how I was. In fact, it was just the opposite, if I had a problem, I felt it would be a bother to tell them about it, plus they were not very compassionate people. Kudos to you for being a teacher, mentor, encourager, therapist lol. I think for all the roles that a teacher must be, they should triple if not more their pay!
May 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, I say this as a future teacher, but I absolutely think that kids should be able to go to their teachers with a problem. Not only do I think it's important for all kids to have some trusted adult they know they can go to, I think it creates a better classroom environment for everyone when the kids know that the teacher really does care about them.

Quote:

May 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Teachers are welcome in my children's life. As a mentor or mother figure. The more positive role models in their lives the better.
May 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
bluebelle-- What age group will you be teaching? Get ready for the most rewarding, challenging, frustrating, but absolute best experience of your life. Good luck!!

May 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

I think your students are so fortunate to have a teacher like you. I went to a small Christian school and I never once remember a teacher taking time out to ask me how I was. In fact, it was just the opposite, if I had a problem, I felt it would be a bother to tell them about it, plus they were not very compassionate people. Kudos to you for being a teacher, mentor, encourager, therapist lol. I think for all the roles that a teacher must be, they should triple if not more their pay!
[/b]

That's very sad. You'd think in an environment like that, it'd be even more their responsibility to reach out. Just my opinion, though. I always had very good teachers and I felt like I could come to them with anything.

I've been on the other side of the fence, though, as a teacher, and I don't think that all students come to you with real problems... I think a lot of them are too desperate for attention.

May 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
bluebelle-- What age group will you be teaching? Get ready for the most rewarding, challenging, frustrating, but absolute best experience of your life. Good luck!![/b]
I will be certified 7-12. I'm hoping for a 7th or 8th grade job, I think middle schoolers are fun. Thanks!
May 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
MJ27
Quote:
I will be certified 7-12. I'm hoping for a 7th or 8th grade job, I think middle schoolers are fun. Thanks![/b]
Seriously, God bless you. I hated middle school and I had the worst teachers (you could tell they hated middle schoolers)

Quote:
I'm a teacher and I tell my kids on the first day of school that my door is always open to them. They know that if they need to talk, I'm always there for them. A lot of my kids at school have a very difficult homelife. For some of them, the only encouragement or affection they get is what they get at school. I know that there are some people who have different views on this issue, so I'm just wondering what's your take on the subject.[/b]
You sound like an awesome teacher. I agree with you and I think it a bit sad that there are teachers who think their job is only to teach. Teachers are often the very people kids see most everyday. I much rather my child talk to a good teacher about their problems then some numskull kid.

edited for errors

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search