Happy

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
i agree whole heartedly, the whole thing was DISGUSTING!

May 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Wow... Now, i didn't see the last page of that thread before it was deleted, but i saw the rest... Seriously, it's a differing view point you guys. Why is it so disgusting?
May 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK, I go to give my sons their bath and dinner and I miss something. I hate it when that happens!

Sharon
May 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
I'm not going to bring that thread to this thread although i was agreeing w/ mommieof3 that i'm glad it's gone. As you can see, i really didn't say too much in that particular thread because i really do like JM and i dont wish to get banned and i'll just leave it @ that. and oh, i didn't have a problem w/ differing view points, i understand that this is the deabte board and it's always going to have differing view points, i don't have a problem w/ that.

May 3rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I go out for the afternoon and I missed something else?! What happened?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Cece... I just want to let you know i do actually agree with you, with what you just said. At the same time, i ALSO agree with what that email was saying... So really, the differing viewpoints aren't all that different. In order to have no "us vs. them" stuff, we have to start thinking like we ARE all one race... the human one. And the special stuff for minorities works AGAINST that, because it is still segregating the races, and treating them as different... NOT equal.

I know it's a touchy topic, hence the anger coming from both sides. But again, i think the ideals from both sides are actually one and the same... Just my thoughts though.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Pure Innocence
I hate it when someone brings up the "we" "you" "them"....someone did that to me in a debate a long time ago...it wasn't anything racist or discriminatory I was saying, they are just words to define a certain group of ppl you are talking about...whether they are ppl eating ice cream cones or us ppl sitting on a bench....but if it has to do with a heated subject about discrimination or racism then somehow you must not use those words or you are a racist...
May 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Tofu Bacon
And I can't believe in 2007 people still think its okay to use those racial slurs That email does nothing but perpetuate hate and it absolutely shocks me how many cheerleader smilies it scored.

Quote:
I know it's a touchy topic, hence the anger coming from both sides. But again, i think the ideals from both sides are actually one and the same... Just my thoughts though.[/b]
How so?
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
I hate it when someone brings up the "we" "you" "them"....someone did that to me in a debate a long time ago...it wasn't anything racist or discriminatory I was saying, they are just words to define a certain group of ppl you are talking about...whether they are ppl eating ice cream cones or us ppl sitting on a bench....but if it has to do with a heated subject about discrimination or racism then somehow you must not use those words or you are a racist...[/b]

at least from what I saw I never encountered anything that I felt to be "us vs. them". It would have been the same if someone that was black came to the debate and used "us" as a term to describe herself as well as others that share her race.

Pure Innocence
Quote:
And I can't believe in 2007 people still think its okay to use those racial slurs That email does nothing but perpetuate hate and it absolutely shocks me how many cheerleader smilies it scored.[/b]
What racial slurs? I missed a lot of the debate....but I didn't see anything I don't think from what I read..
May 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Quote:
And I can't believe in 2007 people still think its okay to use those racial slurs That email does nothing but perpetuate hate and it absolutely shocks me how many cheerleader smilies it scored.[/b]
What racial slurs? I missed a lot of the debate....but I didn't see anything I don't think from what I read..
[/b]
I think she is talking about the slurs in the e-mail, and in which case it wasn't saying it's ok to use them, but if it's not ok for one race it's not ok for anyone........ so I'm a bit confused as to how it was saying it's ok to use them....

May 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Pure Innocence
Oh, I didn't read that email thinking it was saying it was ok to use any racial slurs ....
May 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Nobody here used those slurs... And as for the email, again... it was to point out that one is okay but not the other, and that's wrong. NONE should be okay.

Quote:
Quote:
I know it's a touchy topic, hence the anger coming from both sides. But again, i think the ideals from both sides are actually one and the same... Just my thoughts though.[/b]
How so?
[/b]

As in, i think both sides of that debate were actually in agreement that racism is bad, wrong, and should not be happening. The difference of opinion came in as to how do we further that cause... One camp says affirmative action, help for minorities, etc... The other camp says no special treatment for ANYONE, we're one human race, and those special things to help minorities is actually just furthering racism by keeping us segregated.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Veteran
Quote:
But I do NOT agree with speaking in such tones as we and us, versus they and them. (I think Michelle did a wonderful job of pointing this out that not ALL JM-ers are white, nor are their children ).[/b]
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I already responded to this in the other thread. IF you want to read into my words for a lot more than I did--go for it. But don't call me ignorant because I use the word 'us' in a sentence. Us refers to my race, white. There is really no other way of wording that. It had nothing to do with the people on JM.

Quote:
And I do not agree that most blacks are racist or that most blacks are holding grudges. I think to think THAT, is very ignorant, and frankly, sad.[/b]
Did someone say that?? Because I did not see that comment anywhere. Please don't come up with stuff out of thin air.

And if you think less of me as a person for acknowledging that racism goes both ways. Go for it. That's not racist. That's a realist.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
irishxrose
I'm glad it's gone. We just did racism in my sociology class, and it was an eye-opener. I suggest anyone who agrees with that email to really research why minorities feel the way they do, and the sociological impact. It really will make you see. At least I did.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think maybe she meant the racial slurs that were in the email that I posted. The slurs were against all different races to show that racial slurs are used against all different races and that for some reason it is considered acceptable to use some against some ethnicities.

Honestly, I didn't take the email as meant to offend. I took it as another point of view which is why I posted it. It isn't necessarily my point of view though I thought it did have some valid points.

May 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I'm glad it's gone. We just did racism in my sociology class, and it was an eye-opener. I suggest anyone who agrees with that email to really research why minorities feel the way they do, and the sociological impact. It really will make you see. At least I did.[/b]
I understand 'why' they feel the way they do-and they should feel that way.. But I think the email was an attempt to point out a truth that does not result in equality that so many of us want. A bad past experience doesn't make it right to repeat it, you know?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search