Outsourcing Customer Service

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Is anyone else bugged by this? I get so annoyed when I call customer service for a company and get someone who barely speaks English. It makes it so difficult to understand what they are trying to tell me especially when it is something technical that I am having trouble understanding in the first place.

It also bothers me when some company calls me and I can't understand the person. Today I got a call on my cell phone from the cell phone company. After asking the woman to repeat herself 4 times and trying desperately to understand her I finally just hung up.

What bothers me most is that companies who outsource to other countries are taking jobs away from Americans!

May 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, and i'm sick of it... I know they're trying to save money, but at some point it just goes too far. If i, your customer, can't understand who i'm talking to, then why even have the customer service people in the first place? The point is lost then....

I'm also getting sick of not talking to an actual PERSON at all. It's ridiculous. We keep getting an automated phone call from some law firm telling us to call THEM about some matter. Give me a break... We have 5 separate adults living under this roof, so how are we supposed to know who they want? And if they can't even take the time to call us themselves with a real live person, i'm sorry but... how important can it be? I'm not gonna do your work for you!

Sorry... bit of a rant there...

But yes, i agree with you...
May 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Quote:
I agree, and i'm sick of it... I know they're trying to save money, but at some point it just goes too far. If i, your customer, can't understand who i'm talking to, then why even have the customer service people in the first place? The point is lost then....

I'm also getting sick of not talking to an actual PERSON at all. It's ridiculous. We keep getting an automated phone call from some law firm telling us to call THEM about some matter. Give me a break... We have 5 separate adults living under this roof, so how are we supposed to know who they want? And if they can't even take the time to call us themselves with a real live person, i'm sorry but... how important can it be? I'm not gonna do your work for you!

Sorry... bit of a rant there...

But yes, i agree with you... [/b]

LOL Rant away because that situation bothers me too! I hate when I get a call and get an automated voice either telling me to please hold on for the next available person or they give me a number to call back. GRRR!!!! Don't freaking call me and then put me on hold!!! Call me when you're good and ready to speak to me!

May 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
chlodoll
They outsource so you pay less for their services. Dell is so cheap because they outsource. And these people speak english, they have accents, you just have to listen.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm not coming to any definite conclusions. I am just saying that it bothers me when I am trying to ask questions and the person cannot understand me nor can I understand them. What good is the customer service if I can't get the help I need?

May 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
chlodoll
I work in customer service and if someone even has the slightest hint of an accent people complain they dont speak english. Since I live in Canada our call centres are bilingual with french and english. Alot of our french speakers are from french speaking african countries so they have interesting accents, but they speak fine english. People just likes to complain. If there is a problem ask to have the call escalated to their supervisor.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
They do speak english....

May 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The problem is, sometimes accents are SO thick, that they AREN'T understandable. It's not a matter of hearing an accent and refusing to speak with them... For me at least, it's that i truly just can't understand them (and vice versa).
May 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not coming to any definite conclusions. I am just saying that it bothers me when I am trying to ask questions and the person cannot understand me nor can I understand them. What good is the customer service if I can't get the help I need?[/b]
If you can't understand them ask to speak to someone else. The problem with this is that most people can (not saying you) understand them but hear an accent and refuse to....
[/b]

LOL I tried that! The person had no clue what I was saying. I asked if I could be transferred to someone else. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

Accents in themselves don't bother me. One of my closest friends is Vietnamese and has a very thick accent. I have to listen very closely to understand her sometimes but I am certainly willing to that for her or anyone. I also have a brother with a very severe speech impediment. He is incredibly difficult to understand sometimes but I do it.

May 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
chlodoll
If their accent was to think that they were inaudible they would not be hired. I guess everyone has a different opinion on what is a think accent. I hear east indian people all the time where I live, where I goto school, where I work etc
May 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
chlodoll
They often speak better english then people in america because they are taught proper english and dont hae any slang usage.

lol in my previous post I wrote think instead of thick twice!!! Stupid!
May 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Quote:
If their accent was to think that they were inaudible they would not be hired. I guess everyone has a different opinion on what is a think accent. I hear east indian people all the time where I live, where I goto school, where I work etc[/b]
I agree. On the 30 days episode I saw, they actually go through a class on how to sound more American....
[/b]

I have seen a show talking about that before (20/20 or Dateline...something along those lines). They said that they are taught to speak in a more Americanized manner but it also mentioned that often the companies don't train them beyond the actual manuals and stuff that they use regularly. So when you ask a question that maybe isn't commonly asked they really don't know what you're saying.

May 3rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
I have seen a show talking about that before (20/20 or Dateline...something along those lines). They said that they are taught to speak in a more Americanized manner but it also mentioned that often the companies don't train them beyond the actual manuals and stuff that they use regularly. So when you ask a question that maybe isn't commonly asked they really don't know what you're saying.[/b]
I guess I can see that happening, its the fault of the employee's though they are just doing what they know. I think if you truly expereince bad customer service you need to call back and talk to their supervisor and file a complaint.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Quote:

I have seen a show talking about that before (20/20 or Dateline...something along those lines). They said that they are taught to speak in a more Americanized manner but it also mentioned that often the companies don't train them beyond the actual manuals and stuff that they use regularly. So when you ask a question that maybe isn't commonly asked they really don't know what you're saying.[/b]
I guess I can see that happening, its the fault of the employee's though they are just doing what they know. I think if you truly expereince bad customer service you need to call back and talk to their supervisor and file a complaint.
[/b]

Oh I completely understand that it isn't the employees fault. I blame the companies that allow this to happen. I am paying my money for service that I am not getting and that bothers me. I have tried to ask for a supervisor or someone else to speak to. With some companies this has worked and with other companies the person just acted (or maybe they truly didn't) understand what I was saying.

May 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get bothered by this, too. I used to work for a company that outsourced services to MCI (we all worked within the US, though) and we were a specialized fraud department. I hated when I had to get on the phone with customer service to fix a problem and they didn't understand what I was saying. Many times, I, as a supervisor in that department, had to ask for THEIR supervisor, because I couldn't understand a word they were saying. I also majored in English and Intercultural Studies in college, so don't tell me that I don't understand accents -- most of my friends were international students.

I understand what a lot of you are saying, though. I also get irritated when I get a phone call and then get put on hold! How rude is that?

May 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
When we had an account with Chase we'd get calls all the time about our payments. The people who called us were extremely hard to understand. Very thick accents which isn't the fault of the employee...but some things I think they specifically spoke very fast to make it harder to understand. Especially if they were trying to sign us up for extra services (that cost money). I would often tell them I couldn't understand them. They'd repeat themselves, but still very fast.

I have also heard people ask for someone IN America...and they can be transferred.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search