This really ticks me off...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
chloe82
Okay, this is something that has me really fired up at the moment. I hate when companies waste their product on purpose when they can't sell it!!!
Example: A certain children's clothing store that I won't name here takes the clothes that they haven't sold during the season and shreds them up and throws them in the garbage so no one else can have them. Um, hello, have you ever heard of charity???
Also, I used to work at a food joint where, when we had product that had not sold that day (even though it was all fresh and totally good to eat) they would tell us to throw it in the dumpster...not to give it to anyone who might ask for it or take it home ourselves. Like, I would have boxes and boxes of good food, and people would come up to me and say, "Can I have one" and I was supposed to say "No" and then go throw it in a dumpster right in front of them. (I didn't, it made me too angry). When our boss found out that people were taking the food out of the dumpster, we were then ordered to also pour VINEGAR all over the food to make it inedible even to people who were willing to eat it out of the GARBAGE!!!!!
WHAT IS WITH THIS!!! IT MAKES ME SO MAD!!! Why not take this stuff that you can't make money off of anymore and do something worthwhile with it, give it to someone who needs it, instead of ordering your employees to destroy it and throw it in the garbage???!!!!
I just wrote an angry email to the clothing company. The funny thing is, on their website, they state how their objective is to better the lives of those who matter most, our children. Sure, that's why you rip up piles and piles of perfectly new, good, beautiful children's clothes and throw them in the garbage instead of giving them to needy children who can't afford $50 jeans. Can someone make sense of this to me, or is there no sense in it at all?? What is the objective, from a business standpoint?
May 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Pure Innocence
IDIOTS
May 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
ahixon
That is crazy, I know someone who works at a major retail store, and they throw out their almost expired food, which I think is wrong because they could donate it to a homeless shelter, that could cook it that day. I can't believe that a company would shred clothes when they could donate them to a shelter or something, I think that is wrong on so many levels.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Pure Innocence
Should be illegal.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Oh you have just touched on one of my biggest annoyances! I used to work for a fairly large east coast convenience store/deli. We received a fresh shipment of sub rolls every morning in order to make subs/hoagies (you know what I mean) throughout the day. Well all of the rolls that had been left from the day before had to be thrown away. I sometimes had to put several hundred rolls in the trash compactor!!!

I actually questioned management and even offered to find a charity that wanted them and I also offered to deliver them myself. I was turned down! At first I thought it was only because the company was wasteful.

I finally found out that the company used to donate the bread. However, they were sued by a homeless man who became ill after eating the bread at a shelter. No one else reported becoming ill but this man won his lawsuit and the company no longer donates!

I think they still should but I can see that they also have to cover their behinds in this sue happy society.

Oh and not that it is right but I have also learned why some stores shred their clothes like that. It is because too often workers would write an item off as damaged and then "throw it away" when in truth they were taking it home and the item wasn't really damaged. My friend worked at a clothing store and they were supposed to shred items too because they thought it would discourage people from stealing.

Dishonest people just ruin everything!

May 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Oh you have just touched on one of my biggest annoyances! I used to work for a fairly large east coast convenience store/deli. We received a fresh shipment of sub rolls every morning in order to make subs/hoagies (you know what I mean) throughout the day. Well all of the rolls that had been left from the day before had to be thrown away. I sometimes had to put several hundred rolls in the trash compactor!!!

I actually questioned management and even offered to find a charity that wanted them and I also offered to deliver them myself. I was turned down! At first I thought it was only because the company was wasteful.

I finally found out that the company used to donate the bread. However, they were sued by a homeless man who became ill after eating the bread at a shelter. No one else reported becoming ill but this man won his lawsuit and the company no longer donates!

I think they still should but I can see that they also have to cover their behinds in this sue happy society.

Oh and not that it is right but I have also learned why some stores shred their clothes like that. It is because too often workers would write an item off as damaged and then "throw it away" when in truth they were taking it home and the item wasn't really damaged. My friend worked at a clothing store and they were supposed to shred items too because they thought it would discourage people from stealing.

Dishonest people just ruin everything![/b]
I'm not surprised he sued....he's homeless, what better way to get back on your feet than win a lawsuit and get a big ole paycheck in the end?
May 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not surprised he sued....he's homeless, what better way to get back on your feet than win a lawsuit and get a big ole paycheck in the end?
[/b]

That's may have been what he was thinking. It's just ashame because that lawsuit helped to ruin it for all of the other hungry people out there. Just think of how much good something as simple as 200-300 rolls a day could do. Makes me sad.

May 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

That's may have been what he was thinking. It's just ashame because that lawsuit helped to ruin it for all of the other hungry people out there. Just think of how much good something as simple as 200-300 rolls a day could do. Makes me sad.
[/b]
Oh it makes me sad too and I hate it. Homelessness is something that makes my heart ache so... I was just saying that I see why he did what he did.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
chloe82
Quote:

So true. It's just so asinine!!! I still think the good done would outweigh the possible bad outcomes....too bad companies are more interested in covering their butts for that one in a million chance that someone will take advantage than they are in being willing to take that small risk to help thousands of good people....it's just such a waste!!!
May 3rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I work occasionally for Starbucks, and we throw all of our pastries away at the end of the night. It seems like such a waste. And we're not even allowed to bring them home; they have to be thrown in the trash or we'll be fired.

May 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree that it's a waste, and very sad, but I understand why companies are doing it - in regards to the food, the clothing I don't understand.

Sadly, everyone nowadays seems to be looking for a quick buck, and any chance at a lawsuit is snapped up almost immediately. Unless there was some way to get the people at the homeless shelter to sign a waiver releasing the restaurant of liability, I can see why they wouldn't want to take the risk.

DH and I tried this last summer to take a bunch of items to the local donation site/shelter. We had 2 microwaves (nothing wrong with them, just didn't need them anymore), downhill skiing equipment, 2 full sets of hockey equipment and a boy's bicycle. The shelter couldn't take any of it. They said that they aren't allowed to take any items such as those for fear of lawsuits. We ended up taking most of it to a pawn shop and getting paid for it, but I found it sad that we couldn't donate these items as intended.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
May 3rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Even if we could sell the food half-price at the end of the night, I don't see a problem with that. I can't imagine why in the world one day old pastries would be a problem. Just my opinion, though.

May 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
It is so sad that people have become so sue happy that the people who still have good hearts and genuinely want to help out those who are less fortunate can't even do so!

May 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
It's just like the shoe companys. They'll slit the soles before they throw them out so no one can use them.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
mommyKathyX3
Joey used to work for Compaq and they'd have THOUSANDS of computers they'd have to throw into a trash compactor almost every day. Stuff that had a damaged box or was "last months model". He said it just made him sick that there would be $2000+ computers they were trashing.

Its all because of legal crap. If someone got sick (like the story above) they could sue, or if someone sold any of the clothes or electronics it would be considered theft. Also they cant donate it cause they get more money to write it off as a "damaged unusable product" as opposed to a donation, so its all about money too. Its sad about the waste because it could all be used in SO many ways, and also cause its just WASTE. Terrible.
May 4th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All these stories are making me so sad... I didn't realize just how bad this problem was!
May 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Joey used to work for Compaq and they'd have THOUSANDS of computers they'd have to throw into a trash compactor almost every day. Stuff that had a damaged box or was "last months model". He said it just made him sick that there would be $2000+ computers they were trashing.

Its all because of legal crap. If someone got sick (like the story above) they could sue, or if someone sold any of the clothes or electronics it would be considered theft. Also they cant donate it cause they get more money to write it off as a "damaged unusable product" as opposed to a donation, so its all about money too. Its sad about the waste because it could all be used in SO many ways, and also cause its just WASTE. Terrible.[/b]

I know... can you imagine how much use our educational systems would get out of "last month's model" computer? Amazing.

May 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Pure Innocence
Makes me angry...such a mememe money hungry freaking society and I HATE IT!
May 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Okay, this is something that has me really fired up at the moment. I hate when companies waste their product on purpose when they can't sell it!!!
Example: A certain children's clothing store that I won't name here takes the clothes that they haven't sold during the season and shreds them up and throws them in the garbage so no one else can have them. Um, hello, have you ever heard of charity???
Also, I used to work at a food joint where, when we had product that had not sold that day (even though it was all fresh and totally good to eat) they would tell us to throw it in the dumpster...not to give it to anyone who might ask for it or take it home ourselves. Like, I would have boxes and boxes of good food, and people would come up to me and say, "Can I have one" and I was supposed to say "No" and then go throw it in a dumpster right in front of them. (I didn't, it made me too angry). When our boss found out that people were taking the food out of the dumpster, we were then ordered to also pour VINEGAR all over the food to make it inedible even to people who were willing to eat it out of the GARBAGE!!!!!
WHAT IS WITH THIS!!! IT MAKES ME SO MAD!!! Why not take this stuff that you can't make money off of anymore and do something worthwhile with it, give it to someone who needs it, instead of ordering your employees to destroy it and throw it in the garbage???!!!!
I just wrote an angry email to the clothing company. The funny thing is, on their website, they state how their objective is to better the lives of those who matter most, our children. Sure, that's why you rip up piles and piles of perfectly new, good, beautiful children's clothes and throw them in the garbage instead of giving them to needy children who can't afford $50 jeans. Can someone make sense of this to me, or is there no sense in it at all?? What is the objective, from a business standpoint?[/b]
ETA: I should have read the other posts before posting because a pp pretty much already said what I did...

I have no experience with the clothes policy, but I do work a p/t job for a major cookie company. I also see food thrown away at grocery stores all the time if it's one day out of date(but still good) or it is christmas cookies and after christmas they won't sell so they shred it and dump it... the reason they aren't allowed to give it away is because of the way people are these days coming back to sue for everything... sure those cookies may still be good even if they are out of date or have a damaged box, but someone eats something and gets sick and wants to sue, the company doesn't have a leg to stand on... now I'm not sure about the clothes or what their reasoning is, but I know that the food is to cover their own butts, and I can't blame them, especially with the sue happy people of America today!

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 September 30th, 2014

May 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
chlodoll
I dont understand why they would shred clothing. Lots of clothing stores have warehouses that sell their last season stuff cheap. Why not make some money off it still?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search