Barbies and Bratz

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: How do you feel about them?
Yes 35 50.72%
No 22 31.88%
Not sure 7 10.14%
Other 5 7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
How do you feel about Barbies and Bratz? Please share why you chose what you did. I'll be back later to share my opinion
May 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I like Barbie. I think that Barbie has always adjusted to the times (in terms of career and such). Yes, she's not atomically correct.... but I see no harm with Barbie.

The Bratz dolls all look like freaking hookers.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
donomama
Quote:
I like Barbie. I think that Barbie has always adjusted to the times (in terms of career and such). Yes, she's not atomically correct.... but I see no harm with Barbie.

The Bratz dolls all look like freaking hookers.[/b]

That sums up, word for word, how I feel.
May 4th, 2007, 07:41 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I don't like either of them. I do believe they promote stereotypes, Barbie mainly by appearance, Bratz by being sluts. I could live with my children playing with Barbies - once you get past the appearance, they do try to make her a role model and adapt her to the times, career, family, etc. No Bratz will ever enter my house, I see absolutely nothing positive about them.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM
chloe82
Ditto. As for Barbies, I answered Other. I neither love them nor hate them. If my daughter wants one I have no problem with it.
Bratz, on the other hand....why are they marketing dolls that look like tra.mps to little girls?? And are called Bratz?? Is this an image I want my kid to admire?? No way!!! It disturbs me and my daughter will neither have one nor ever play with one as far as I'm concerned. They make me want to vomit.
May 4th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it disturbs me that Bratz has a commercial about some Genie movie they did, with 11 year old girls, or younger, in Genie costumes, with their stomaches bared and swiveling their hips... is that REALLLY called for?

May 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I do not personally like either Barbies or Bratz dolls. My daughter doesn't like them, either, and she has never owned any except one Princess Barbie she ripped up when she was five.

Yes, I think they promote unhealthy stereotypes, especially the Bratz dolls. I'm glad my DD thinks they are ugly.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I don't like either of them, but I'd rather my daughter chose for HERSELF that she didn't want to play with them, rather than them be the "forbidden toy" that she has to sneak to play with at her friend's house, KWIM? I voted No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes in the poll lol
May 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I don't like either. I will not let my children have Bratz, but I am still undecided on Barbie, just because she is so freakin ubiquitous and it would be hard to keep them away from the whole Barbie thing. I dislike Bratz, just like everyone else said, because they are made to look slutty. I am thinking about starting a letter writing campaign against them, if anyone would be interested in joining me.

As for Barbie, I had them when I was a kid. I am not a fan of them anymore. For one thing, I don't really want my children to idolize a doll that represents an impossible standard of beauty. And I do mean impossible, as if Barbie were a real person, she would have to be over 6 feet tall and weigh 110 pounds. She would have to walk on all fours because her legs would be unable to support her body weight. And some have said she would be unable to survive because her abdominal cavity would be too small for her internal organs to fit. I also don't like the lack of diversity when it comes to Barbies. Sure, they may make a Black Barbie, or Latina Barbie or Asian Barbie, but they are ALWAYS a special edition, not the "regular" Barbie. And the Black Barbie is the exact same as the original, except with darker skin and hair, but no change to her features. And then there's the whole "math class is tough" talking Barbie fiasco So I am still on the fence. I would love to see Barbie be made with anatomically correct proportions, and have other races more accurately represented.
May 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't like them...but I would not forbid her from playing with Barbie

Growing up I was not allowed to play with Barbies...my mom actually trained me to tell people "because they perpetuate a negative stereotype!" like a little feminist robot Because of this I developed a wierd fascination with them and would play with them secretly at my friends house. I was too young to really understand the body image thing, I just thought it was cool that she had her own house, jeep and a pool with bright blue water! Oh and I had a fascination with getting the Ken dolls naked and looking at their nonexistant penis...for years I thought that's what a naked man really looked like

Bratz are skanky and scary looking...I can't stop her from being exposed to them but they will not be allowed in my house!
May 4th, 2007, 08:36 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I don't like either of them, but I'd rather my daughter chose for HERSELF that she didn't want to play with them, rather than them be the "forbidden toy" that she has to sneak to play with at her friend's house, KWIM?[/b]
May 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
babiesrus
I like neither but my daughter had both. However, she showed very little interest in them. Bratz are just trampy looking. I guess I am hypocritical because I don't like them but I let her play with them.

I don't know if they perpetuate a stereotype or if the stereotype already existed and they just represent some of society's view on that.

I can't get that freaking song Be all you can be, B-A-R-B-I-E, Barbie girl, out of my head from the commercials.
May 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
Barbies are ok to me..
My DDs do not have one, but my DF's daughter does... I let Mačva play with them..
But i'm not sur if I will buy her Barbies one day....
For Mačva, Barbie is a princess (because she has the movie "the princess and the pauper")...

But bratz!!!
like quietsong said, they act like ****!
It's the look who's important, they are full of make up, sexy clothes etc..
I don't want my girls to want to look like them!
YUK!

Mom to Mačva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

May 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
Quote:
Quote:

That sums up, word for word, how I feel. [/b]

I'm gonna ditto your ditto. I am a closet loser who collects collector babries.There, i've admitted it.

Bratz look totally skanky!!!

May 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM
irishxrose
I don't like either of them, and I feel they perpetuate negative stereotypes. No daughter of mine will play with them.
May 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm gonna ditto your ditto. I am a closet loser who collects collector babries.There, i've admitted it.

[/b]
ditto your ditto's ditto (did that make sense? lol)

I dont collect barbies, but I DO collect American Girl Dolls. I have six of them, and a bunch of their accessories, including one of the beds, and a doll bike. Never grew out of it, lol.

May 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frgsonmysox @ May 4 2007, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I dont collect barbies, but I DO collect American Girl Dolls. I have six of them, and a bunch of their accessories, including one of the beds, and a doll bike. Never grew out of it, lol.
[/b][/quote]

Oh I loved my American Girl dolls! They were the best! I had Felicity
May 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
i really want the wizard of oz barbie collection... OT but i just saw it on the internet thought i;d share

edited for link

http://www.angelicdreamz.com/store/B...ard_of_Oz.html

May 4th, 2007, 10:22 AM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to EmilysMommy04
My girls have both Bratz and Barbies. I dont mind them at all they are dolls. Plastic toys. The way they are dressed doesnt bother me why because my jeans and shirts are like that . I dont think they are dressed like hookers now if they looked cracked out with condoms on them then they would lol, or if they made a Bratz pimp doll then I would say yes they are like hookers lol. my 3 yr old has them the funny thing is she only plays with the shoes if you go upstairs to her bedroom there are alot of bratz dolls with no feet she has them all in a bucket lol she just likes the shoes lmfao

May 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donomama @ May 4 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Quote:

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Oh I loved my American Girl dolls! They were the best! I had Felicity
[/b][/quote]

Felicity is my fave. I have Felicity, Addy, Kailey, Emily, and two "looks like you" dolls.

I just took these (and yes, I know... Felicity doesnt have any clothes on at the moment, lol):

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search