What does your religion think about psychics?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Pure Innocence
I was wondering this, what different religions think about psychics and whether they think they are real or what not.

Also, I've heard a lot of times on the regular debates that psychics aren't real and that they are of the devil or something like that. So what if there was a psychic that helped the police find a little girl that was kidnapped and in turn, because of this psychic, the little girl was returned unharmed to her parents? Does that really sound like the work of a devil?
May 4th, 2007, 09:54 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I think it's split in Buddhism Some of the sutras talk about being able to see past and future lives, and some sects don't believe those are supposed to be taken literally.

I don't personally believe in psychics (or ghosts or any other extraordinary phenomenon).
May 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I was wondering this, what different religions think about psychics and whether they think they are real or what not.

Also, I've heard a lot of times on the regular debates that psychics aren't real and that they are of the devil or something like that. So what if there was a psychic that helped the police find a little girl that was kidnapped and in turn, because of this psychic, the little girl was returned unharmed to her parents? Does that really sound like the work of a devil?[/b]
To be honest, I'm not that sure how much Judaism believes in psychics. I know it's not kosher to try to predict the future. It takes away from a person's free will. There were prophets in the Bible who had divine inspiration. However, the prophetic era ended a long time ago.
As for a specific situation like you mentioned, I really don't know. According to Jewish law you can violate any commandment, except 3, to save a life. So my guess was that if this was a proven method, then it would be allowed. As it is, I'm not sure.

Sharon
May 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We (LDS church), don't believe in psychics.

We believe in the power of the Holy Ghost and the power of God. Psychics is not the same thing. The power of God is given by authority. My take on a psychic possibly being occasionally right about one or two things- but they are not using this power of God to discern it. Other times the Holy Ghost can inspire others to say in this case find this young girl.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:

We believe in the power of the Holy Ghost and the power of God. Psychics is not the same thing. The power of God is given by authority. My take on a psychic possibly being occasionally right about one or two things- but they are not using this power of God to discern it. Other times the Holy Ghost can inspire others to say in this case find this young girl.[/b]
I am pretty sure there are psychics out there that get more than one thing right. I've had strong intuition feelings about something happening in the future such as: when I was 12 I knew I would be pregnant at 19. The 2nd time I saw my husband I knew that I was going to marry him and have children with him and I didn't even know this guy at the time....there have been other things, but I wouldn't call myself a psychic. A person who calls themself a psychic usually gets more than just one or two things occassionally right.

So if they do get something right, what power is it that they are using? I don't believe it's from God either, as I don't believe in God. I don't think it's given to anyone, I think it's something we all posses, we just don't harness the full capacity of what we can truly do.

If you believe it's the Holy Ghost that allows a psychic to find someone missing.....how does that take away from the fact that she is psychic?
May 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
My religion doesnt say anything about psychics. My religion doesnt say much about anything and leaves a lot up to one's personal opinions.

I personally definitely believe in psychics, however, most of the public and famous psychics are probably fake.

May 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
My religion doesnt say anything about psychics. My religion doesnt say much about anything and leaves a lot up to one's personal opinions.

I personally definitely believe in psychics, however, most of the public and famous psychics are probably fake.[/b]
May 5th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
My church goes along with the bible. Don't know the exact words. But it boils down we don't believe in witches psychics or mediums and the likewise.
May 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Pure Innocence
You know what a witch often is? Someone who makes home-made remedies to cure colds....or uses something like aromatherapy to put them in a better mood through the scent of the oil they are using. A witch is someone who prays just like everyone else, but in a different way.

And it's kind of hard for you not to believe in them when you are talking to one, so I don't see how you don't believe I exist.

As for psychics, what about the psychics who do help with an investigation and in turn find someone? Do they not exist either and the police are just making them up? If what you are REALLY saying is that you don't believe they have a psychic gift, how do you explain them knowing how to where to find someone?
May 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

We believe in the power of the Holy Ghost and the power of God. Psychics is not the same thing. The power of God is given by authority. My take on a psychic possibly being occasionally right about one or two things- but they are not using this power of God to discern it. Other times the Holy Ghost can inspire others to say in this case find this young girl.[/b]
I am pretty sure there are psychics out there that get more than one thing right. I've had strong intuition feelings about something happening in the future such as: when I was 12 I knew I would be pregnant at 19. The 2nd time I saw my husband I knew that I was going to marry him and have children with him and I didn't even know this guy at the time....there have been other things, but I wouldn't call myself a psychic. A person who calls themself a psychic usually gets more than just one or two things occassionally right.

So if they do get something right, what power is it that they are using? I don't believe it's from God either, as I don't believe in God. I don't think it's given to anyone, I think it's something we all posses, we just don't harness the full capacity of what we can truly do.

If you believe it's the Holy Ghost that allows a psychic to find someone missing.....how does that take away from the fact that she is psychic?
[/b]

It doesn't take away that she claims to be psychic, the Holy Ghost can inspire anyone if it is the Lord's will. I feel that many people can have feelings about their lives and even others, but they are not always correct. There are many times they can be right as well.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 6th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Pure Innocence
So even if she gets it's right it's not because she's psychic it's because of the Lord? So basically it's just the name you don't agree with.... but the proof is there when it happens and works out.
May 11th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
As Niamh said my religion doesn't really say wether they do or don't exist and wether they are evil or not...and I definetly believe that psychics exist, I consider myself a psychic medium...in training anyway.
May 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Quote:
So even if she gets it's right it's not because she's psychic it's because of the Lord? So basically it's just the name you don't agree with.... but the proof is there when it happens and works out.[/b]

Some people explain things the only way they know how .... and a lot of times, that is "god."

I like this topic!

Post more!

</MARQUEE>
May 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
So even if she gets it's right it's not because she's psychic it's because of the Lord? So basically it's just the name you don't agree with.... but the proof is there when it happens and works out.[/b]

Some people explain things the only way they know how .... and a lot of times, that is "god."

I like this topic!

Post more!
[/b]
That is good! It's coming from a positive place whichever religion it may be ya know? I just see people (not necessarily on here) say when they hear of psychics sometimes they say "oh the devil"...so I'm wondering how they can think a psychic who finds a lost child is the work of the devil. See what I mean? But it's cool that people think that it comes from a source of love no matter what God(s)/Goddesses you believe in
May 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I read this as "physics". And I was like, "why would a religion be against physics?!"
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I read this as "physics". And I was like, "why would a religion be against physics?!"[/b]
LOL!!!!! hahahahahah lol!!!
May 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I like this topic!

Post more!
[/b]
That is good! It's coming from a positive place whichever religion it may be ya know? I just see people (not necessarily on here) say when they hear of psychics sometimes they say "oh the devil"...so I'm wondering how they can think a psychic who finds a lost child is the work of the devil. See what I mean? But it's cool that people think that it comes from a source of love no matter what God(s)/Goddesses you believe in
[/b]

I consider myself agnostic but more along the lines of atheist... that being said, I don't really think that being psychic has to come from anywhere. I just think some people can do things that others can't. Not really sure it is a gift from another source or anything. Just a cool thing that some people can do.

I do think that its great when these psychics can help out for a good cause! I saw a documentery type thing about this older lady who helped the cops find this girl that was kidnapped. It was really neat!

</MARQUEE>
May 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
*Aspen*
I too don't think it's a special gift really. I don't think we've enveloped all the abilities we are capable of doing. Being psycic is one of those abilities. Some are just able to tap into that side of them and others aren't.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search