Drugs

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, this is sort of a spinoff, but still a good topic in it's own right... Do you guys think drugs should be legal or illegal? Why?
May 4th, 2007, 11:36 AM
irishxrose
I think marijuana should be legal. Any other drugs... I'm not sure about.
May 4th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Veteran
I don't have a problem with weed being legal--provided they have similar rules to it as with alcohol(no puffing and driving, etc.). The other drugs though--I don't like the idea of it. It would be more readily accessible. More people would be dying. Kids would come across coke and think it's candy.
May 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
I think drugs should be legal, mostly for economic reasons. The guy interviewed here says it better than I could, but pretty much says what I think
May 4th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Legalize em and tax the poo out of them!

Edited for the worst typo ever
May 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Legalize em and crap the poo out of them![/b]
You mean TAX the poo out of them?
May 4th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
LMFAO!!!

OK did I mention I got 2 hours of sleep last night?
May 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
LMFAO!!!

OK did I mention I got 2 hours of sleep last night?
[/b]
*Pats Rebecca on the head* It's okay... I think we've ALL been there.

Hope you get some better sleep tonight!
May 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Veteran
I have recently changed my stance on this subject (thank you, university classes!). My teacher put it this way: 'Drug use is a victimless crime' The usage of drug in itself (not the abuse, not the consequences, not using a drug in a dangerous manner...) is not a problem. I might use drugs and never suffer any adverse effects or consequences and yet, the govenment is prohibiting me to use them, in a way trying to protect me from myself (if this text doesn't make sense, i blame my poor english skills, btw!) . If someone suffers consequences from his or hers drug use, then the problem lies with the person, and not the susbtance all by herself. The drug laws are mostly what is to blame when it comes to the small criminality associated with drug use. I'll try to explain; because drugs are illegal, it has helped tremendously in the developping of a black market (and black market means move violence, more gang related problems, etc...). Drugs beeing illegal are not tested, hence sometimes unsafe to use (more OD, more skin problems, more infections...). Having drugs on you is illegal, so it pushes the drug users to hide, to use drugs in unsafe environments, to enter the cycle of entering/getting out/going back in jail again, adding a criminal case to the stigma of having a drug addiction problem, making rehabilitation and reinsertion that much harder (I'll look for the source but i think about half of criminal cases about drug use is for simple possesion of marijuana).

And then, we use the consequences of the laws we have to justify those same laws by saying 'you see? drug makes you do all those bad things so we have to make it illegal'. As far as i know, there is no drug that makes you do criminal acts (in fact, the drug that is most often associated with violence is legal; alcohol) and in countries that have less prohibitive laws when it comes to drugs, they don't see an increase of criminality and violence. It doesn't increases the availability of the susbtance because let's face it, it's alredy pretty easy to get your hands on some even if it's illegal.

So yeah, I'm all for drugs not beeing illegal, as long as they are controled (like cigarettes and alcohol).

I really hope that made sense
May 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Quote:
I have recently changed my stance on this subject (thank you, university classes!). My teacher put it this way: 'Drug use is a victimless crime' The usage of drug in itself (not the abuse, not the consequences, not using a drug in a dangerous manner...) is not a problem. I might use drugs and never suffer any adverse effects or consequences and yet, the govenment is prohibiting me to use them, in a way trying to protect me from myself (if this text doesn't make sense, i blame my poor english skills, btw!) . If someone suffers consequences from his or hers drug use, then the problem lies with the person, and not the susbtance all by herself. The drug laws are mostly what is to blame when it comes to the small criminality associated with drug use. I'll try to explain; because drugs are illegal, it has helped tremendously in the developping of a black market (and black market means move violence, more gang related problems, etc...). Drugs beeing illegal are not tested, hence sometimes unsafe to use (more OD, more skin problems, more infections...). Having drugs on you is illegal, so it pushes the drug users to hide, to use drugs in unsafe environments, to enter the cycle of entering/getting out/going back in jail again, adding a criminal case to the stigma of having a drug addiction problem, making rehabilitation and reinsertion that much harder (I'll look for the source but i think about half of criminal cases about drug use is for simple possesion of marijuana).

And then, we use the consequences of the laws we have to justify those same laws by saying 'you see? drug makes you do all those bad things so we have to make it illegal'. As far as i know, there is no drug that makes you do criminal acts (in fact, the drug that is most often associated with violence is legal; alcohol) and in countries that have less prohibitive laws when it comes to drugs, they don't see an increase of criminality and violence. It doesn't increases the availability of the susbtance because let's face it, it's alredy pretty easy to get your hands on some even if it's illegal.

So yeah, I'm all for drugs not beeing illegal, as long as they are controled (like cigarettes and alcohol).

I really hope that made sense [/b]
PERFECT sense! Basically sums up my feelings completely... I actually wrote a paper on this in high school saying essentially everything you did here. Got completely bashed for it though... lol. Glad someone else agrees with me finally!
May 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM
chloe82
As much as I despise drugs and how they destroy people's lives, I really don't understand why they're illegal...isn't what people do to their own bodies' their own business? I don't advocate them getting legalized, but I don't understand why alcohol and cigarettes are legal and everything else isn't. And why legalize weed and nothing else? That makes zero logical sense to me.
May 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:

ITA! This is basically what I didn't know how to say!
May 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:

ITA
May 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
Quote:
Quote:

ITA
[/b]
ita your ta

and HEY!!!!!!!! another montrealer!!!!!!!

May 4th, 2007, 01:11 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I don't see how you can isolate an action (in this case, drug use) from its consequences. If drug use is a victimless crime why do we see crack babies or read of moms selling their own daughters on the street for drugs?

I have always heard that countries where drug use is legal have similar or even lower crime rates than the USA. I can't help but be skeptical of the idea that legalizing drugs leads to a decrease in the negative affects of drug use.

What am I missing?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 4th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I don't see how you can isolate an action (in this case, drug use) from its consequences. If drug use is a victimless crime why do we see crack babies or read of moms selling their own daughters on the street for drugs?

I have always heard that countries where drug use is legal have similar or even lower crime rates than the USA. I can't help but be skeptical of the idea that legalizing drugs leads to a decrease in the negative affects of drug use.

What am I missing?[/b]
Because, selling your own daughter is a crime regardless of drug use. And harming someone with your drug use is separate as well (think drunk driving: illegal because it DOES harm others). The point is, drug use in and of itself harms no one but yourself... Therefore it's really not the government's job to criminalize it, because they don't need to protect me from myself.

Edited to change wording...
May 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Marijuana should be legal.

May 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Veteran
Quote:
and HEY!!!!!!!! another montrealer!!!!!!![/b]
yay! we're very, verrrry slowly taking over
May 4th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:

What am I missing?[/b]
Because, selling your own daughter is a crime regardless of drug use. And harming someone with your drug use is separate as well (think drunk driving: illegal because it DOES harm others). The point is, drug use in and of itself harms no one but yourself... Therefore it's really not the government's job to criminalize it, because they don't need to protect me from myself.

Edited to change wording...
[/b]
ITA. We legalized alcohol even tho the abuse and/or misuse of it can harm others. Why? Because we regognize the substance itself that is dangerous, it's how and why the person use it that can be. When it harms others, you criminalize it. When it 'hurts' (and hurts here is debatable because we all have a different definition of it) only the person that chooses to use the substance, then it means that the government is making a moral judgement call on what you can and cannot do with your own body and in your own life. It's a bit the same as with prostitution, homosexuality, gambling and so on. We decide as a society that doing thoses things will hurt you so we make it illegal, even tho we have no clue if it truly will. There are more people out there that know how to use drugs for fun (and without abusing) than people that abuse drugs (and drug abuse comes from something much deeper than just the substance, but that's another debate!), but we are all submitted to the same laws.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search