Should sex offenders be allowed to attend church or be a member of a church

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
Last night on the national news at 5:30 on ABC. They had where some sex offender was to join a church. Maybe some of you seen that. Didn't listen to the whole thing. If it were me. I feel it's Gods house all are welcome in Gods house. So this sex offender should be allowed to worship there if they choose to. But I can see if they were to be part of something where the chance for them to sex offend again. They should be supervised. Maybe not be allowed to teach Sunday school or interact with kids alone. But to sit in a full church for services. I see nothing wrong with that.
May 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Last night on the national news at 5:30 on ABC. They had where some sex offender was to join a church. Maybe some of you seen that. Didn't listen to the whole thing. If it were me. I feel it's Gods house all are welcome in Gods house. So this sex offender should be allowed to worship there if they choose to. But I can see if they were to be part of something where the chance for them to sex offend again. They should be supervised. Maybe not be allowed to teach Sunday school or interact with kids alone. But to sit in a full church for services. I see nothing wrong with that.[/b]
Yes, I believe they should be allowed to attend church, but if I were in charge they'd be attending church in prison where they would be for the rest of their lives
May 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
mommyKathyX3
yes, of course they should be allowed to ATTEND church, but to volunteer to help out? No, thats putting them in situations they shouldnt be in. Thats one of the reasons why I think there should ALWAYS be at LEAST 2 adults in every sunday school/nursery room and with the bible studies, I'm hesitant about going to homes unless I KNOW the people well.
May 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM
tevinsangel
Attend church, yes. Teach a Sunday school class, Bible study, help out in the nursery or children's church - absolutely not.
May 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yes, I believe they should be allowed to attend church, but if I were in charge they'd be attending church in prison where they would be for the rest of their lives [/b]
If they're dangerous, they belong in jail...
May 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Church, yes. Of course not interacting with the kids in like sunday school or anything.
May 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes I think they should be allowed to attend church. However they should have no interaction with the children there. I know I would not want a child molestor anywhere near my children. I was molested as a child and as a parent I need to protect my children.
May 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
mom_knows_best's Avatar Super Mommy
Of course!!! Anyone should be free to go to church.

</div>
May 7th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Go to church yes of course. Be an adult sunday school teacher of course. Working with children is a violation on probation anyways if they are a sex offender.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Roxyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yes, they should be allowed to attend but not be involved w/ any kids activities

May 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've worked with many children's programs within various churchs and non-profit Christian organizations. To volunteer or work with any program with anybody under the age of 18 they require a Police Check. If anything comes up on it they aren't allowed to work or volunteer. Our church also has a program called "Plan to Protect" that trains each and every child and youth worker/teacher/volunteer on matters of health & safety, and how to prevent and look out for child abuse. Also, we all need to have our police checks done every 3 years once we've been accepted.

I believe everybody should be welcomed into the doors of a church but draw the line on volunteering within certain capacities.

ETA: I don't know what other churchs or organizations do but most in Canada require this.
May 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I've worked with many children's programs within various churchs and non-profit Christian organizations. To volunteer or work with any program with anybody under the age of 18 they require a Police Check. If anything comes up on it they aren't allowed to work or volunteer. Our church also has a program called "Plan to Protect" that trains each and every child and youth worker/teacher/volunteer on matters of health & safety, and how to prevent and look out for child abuse. Also, we all need to have our police checks done every 3 years once we've been accepted.

I believe everybody should be welcomed into the doors of a church but draw the line on volunteering within certain capacities.

ETA: I don't know what other churchs or organizations do but most in Canada require this.[/b]
Sadly, that is not always true... We have a church here that operates independently, with no one checking these things. My mom volunteers with a local boy scout troop, and they were trying to be affiliated with this church. But something was holding up the sponsorship, and when she investigated, she found out the pastor had signed all the forms but one... He refused to consent to a background check. Sounds fishy, doesn't it?

(Oh, and for the record, they are looking for a new place to go... But this still concerns me, since this church IS still there, and actually hosts a very popular youth group thing... )
May 10th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
As a christian I do think they should be alowed into church, but there should be restrictions on what they can do. Obviously no helping with childrens work ect...

I think the church should keep an eye on them, though I would like to think all churches would offer the support they need.
Mummy to 2 boys expecting #3.

May 10th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

ETA: I don't know what other churchs or organizations do but most in Canada require this.[/b]
Sadly, that is not always true... We have a church here that operates independently, with no one checking these things. My mom volunteers with a local boy scout troop, and they were trying to be affiliated with this church. But something was holding up the sponsorship, and when she investigated, she found out the pastor had signed all the forms but one... He refused to consent to a background check. Sounds fishy, doesn't it?

(Oh, and for the record, they are looking for a new place to go... But this still concerns me, since this church IS still there, and actually hosts a very popular youth group thing... )
[/b]
You're very right...those are HUGE warning bells and I wouldn't send a child there. I refuse to volunteer or be apart of a children's program that doesn't have at least a police check policy in place. It's places like you've desribed that give church and other child-friendly organizations a bad name. I've actually been apart of designing training programs for churches to try to avoid this issue. Nothing is 100% but I believe in being "Proactive vs. Reactive" to a situation. One can never be careful when it comes to the safety and well-being of a child. It's sad that many places haven't started to do that. One just can't assume a place is "safe" anymore. A church has all types of people in it and many of them need to be in church. All the more reason to have a program in place.

ETA: Most insurance companies that insure churches require a similar type of program to be implemented. Otherwise it's a HUGE liability for them to insure the church in question, and most churches require insurance to keep their non-profit status so it might be worth pursing that angle with the church in question that you're talking about.
May 12th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
Quote:
Attend church, yes. Teach a Sunday school class, Bible study, help out in the nursery or children's church - absolutely not.[/b]
ditto

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
May 13th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Synth_Rag_Doll's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Last night on the national news at 5:30 on ABC. They had where some sex offender was to join a church. Maybe some of you seen that. Didn't listen to the whole thing. If it were me. I feel it's Gods house all are welcome in Gods house. So this sex offender should be allowed to worship there if they choose to. But I can see if they were to be part of something where the chance for them to sex offend again. They should be supervised. Maybe not be allowed to teach Sunday school or interact with kids alone. But to sit in a full church for services. I see nothing wrong with that.[/b]

I agree.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search