baby carriers

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can y'all debate the best baby carriers for me? Wraps, mei tais, pouches, different brands, etc.

Thanks!

May 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
mommyKathyX3
Debate? hmmmm dont know if I can debate them cause different kids like differnt carriers, and different body types fit differnt carriers better.

I know that a lot of people are completly overwhelmed by wraps but I think overall they are the best cause they are ao versitile and more natural for the baby.

Maybe some other ladies can get this started better.

edited for a misword
May 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
M4NE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on this as well. I didn't have this issue with the other two, but Zach is too heavy to carry in his car seat carrier and I'm looking for a way to carry him and have a free hand for my other two.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM
chlodoll
I definitely prefer wraps. They take the most getting used to but they are the most comfortable
May 5th, 2007, 12:02 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I have a pouch sling and we both hate it. I'll use it in a pinch but it's not comfy for either of us. And I hate the Bjorn too. I have big breasts and I'm a bigger girl (size 14) so some just do NOT work for me. I am working on making a Maya wrap w/ MIL but I don't know how to sew and she won't get on the ball with it!
May 5th, 2007, 12:22 PM
The biggest problem that I'm having is that they're soooo expensive. I'd hate to spend $50-$75 on a carrier only to find out that it's uncomfortable.

May 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
tevinsangel
I just sold my Maya Wrap on Ebay last night. I think the wraps are the way to go, I just wish I had ordered mine in the longer length - I'm a big girl and my DS is mini giant! lol I never could use the Snuggle or the Baby Bjorn (had to return both of them) because both of my kid's legs would turn purple after we put them in it and no amount of adjusting would make them sit in it right.
May 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
mommyKathyX3
My wrap costed 6 dollars for 6 yrds of fabric, and I got 2 wraps from it.

I got my bjorn off of ebay for 12 bucks

I got my hip hammock on clearance for 6 dollars

I got my evenflow carrier for like 20 bucks

I got another length of fabric for a back wrap and hip carrier wrap for 10 dollars (5 yrds) and I got 2 wraps from it.

I hardly ever use my evenflo bjorn and hip hammock though
May 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I had a Maya Wrap when Julia was an infant and it was great, particularly for the walking and BFing at the same time aspect. Once she got older and wanting to be up-right though, for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. They should make those things easier, it came with an *instructional video*! lol You KNOW something's going to be a PITA when it comes with a video.

Anyway, I sold my wrap on EBay when I couldn't use it anymore, and bought a BabyHawk Mei Tai. TOTALLY worth the $70, I use it at least 3-4xs/week. And it's easy as heck to put on lol
May 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
It's funny you brought this up because I was just going to ask for advice from my DDC. I had originally registered for a sling but the one I picked got recalled. Now I don't know what I want. The sling seemed great for breast feeding.

However, like someone else mentioned I don't want to go out and spend a lot of money only to end up with something I don't like.

May 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
mommyKathyX3
I hated slings. I think they are uncomfortable, and a waste cause you dont use them very often. With stuff like wraps and a few other carriers you can use them from birth till they are like 30-40 lbs! I can wear my 34 lb 4 yr old and it doesnt kill me. (not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I wouldnt be able to do it barely at ALL any other way.)
May 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM
M4NE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those of you who make wraps, where do you go to find the patterns?

Quote:
Anyway, I sold my wrap on EBay when I couldn't use it anymore, and bought a BabyHawk Mei Tai. TOTALLY worth the $70, I use it at least 3-4xs/week. And it's easy as heck to put on lol[/b]
Where did you get the Mei Tai?

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
www.babyhawk.com

Just for fun

May 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
mommyKathyX3
Its not about a pattern for CUTTING or MAKING the wrap, you just get enough fabric lengthwise you need, (usually betwen 5-7 yrds depending on your size) and cut it longwise. Its the WRAPPING you need instruction on. Here are a few websites I used. Once you get it down, its super super easy!

http://store.peppermint.com/
This is the actual main site, you can search around for differnt types.

http://www.thebabywearer.com/
Is another good one
May 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
How safe are these things? I have looked at pictures of different ones and some just don't look safe. They either look uncomfortable for the baby or like the baby could easily fall or flip right out.

May 5th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Katzchen
Quote:
How safe are these things? I have looked at pictures of different ones and some just don't look safe. They either look uncomfortable for the baby or like the baby could easily fall or flip right out.[/b]
If you are using your carrier correctly, they are very safe. The problem is a lot of mamas either don't bother to learn how to use the carrier properly or they don't know that they aren't using the carriers properly.

It also doesn't help that there are a lot of baby wearing vendors out to make a quick buck, and don't properly support their product. The best best is to go with a well know vendor/brand of carrier when you are new, so that you have someone to call/e-mail should you have problems.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
___

OP to answer your question...I can give you the pros and cons of each type of carrier (IMHO, of course!)

Wraps: Very versatile, can be used from birth to preschool. They probably have the biggest learning curve of all carriers, though. There are two types of wraps, knit and woven.

Knit are best for small, non wiggly infants, Moby is a well known brand as is Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Stretch. They can be pre-tied, and the baby can be put in many positions (cradle, kangaroo, etc). The con to these wraps is that many infants outgrow them quickly.

Woven are more supportive and can be used for children of any age, in a multitude of positions. They run from cotton gauze (Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Breeze) to the German Style Wraps (Hoppediz, Didymos, Storchenwiege, BB-Slen, Easycare) Generally, they GSW are more supportive and more forgiving to new wrappers. They are expensive, but almost all are loom-woven of pesticide free cotton. Most are also made in countries that promise their workers fair wages.

Wraps differ greatly in length. They go from just about 2 meters to over 5.5. Different lengths are used for different carries. You can use a long wrap for any carry, but you may have a lot of fabric left over.

Mei tais: (a type of Asian baby carrier)
Are in my opinion one of the easier carriers to use. You can have your baby on your front, back or hip. Many people don't like to use them with newborns, but I had no problems, and Ollie was tiny. They are good through toddlerhood. Popular features are sleeping hoods, headrests, toy loops, padded straps, and wrap style (wider) straps. Popular brands are Kozy, BabyHawk, Doodlebug and Ten Toes Click. Some people do find the long straps overwhelming, though.

Soft Structured Carriers
(Ergo, Papatum) are a lot like mei tais, but they buckle instead of tying. They are a favourite of Daddies that baby wear. They are not as adjustable or versatile as other carriers, though. They are good for most babies that can support their own head through toddlers, although you may have to buy an insert to use it with an infant.

Pouches: Such as Hotslings, Mamma's Milk and Comfy Joey are easy to use if the pouch fits properly. They are very tailored and thus often cant be shared between users, and you will have to buy new pouches if you gain or lose a lot of weight.

The baby can be carried cradle style, tummy-to-tummy, on the hip and in many other positions. They are good from birth to toddlerhood.

Ringslings are a lot like pouches, but more adjustable. They also have a bigger learning curve. In a ring sling, it is all about shoulder style, there are may types (hot dog, gathered, pleated, and others) and each person has their own preference. I personally like gathered and pleated shoulders. You can also have padded and unpadded shoulders, and closed and open tails (the fabric that hangs down from the rings) Popular brands are Zolo, Chicken Scratch, Maya, Sleeping Baby Productions and Eesti.

As with a pouch the baby can be carried cradle style, tummy-to-tummy, on the hip and in many other positions. They are good from birth to toddlerhood.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

A good place to try new carriers without buying first is at a local NINO (Nine in, Nine Out) meeting. They are a group devoted to supporting babywearing and love to help new mamas.

You can also learn how to make your own carriers here, as well as see pictures and videos of how to properly use your carrier.

Jan of Sleeping Baby Productions also has an awesome DIY page!

If you have any questions please PM me, babywearing is one of my passions and I'd love to pass on any resources and info that I have!
May 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I agree that different women and babies prefer different slings. It depends a lot on your body shape and size, as well as what you are going to use it for.

I've tried two so far. I have a Snugli front & back carrier - I absolutely loved it when Eric was smaller, but the last time I used it (he was 18lb or so) it absolutely KILLED my back and shoulders. I got a pouch sling recently and have used it in the hip carry a few times, both Eric and I love it so far and it is good for up to 30-40 lb. For me, the ease of getting it on was a big factor in my choosing a pouch as well, I love that I can just throw it on, pop Eric in, and go.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 5th, 2007, 06:59 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a Snugli front carrier... it works, but I can't wear it now because I'm pregnant (it doesn't accomodate larger women in the first place). Emilee loved it, though. I'll probably reuse that one when Sebastian is born, but I may also buy a sling, too.

May 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Well, I just bit the bullet and bought a Sachi mei tai off of ebay. Hopefully it's as good as most ppl seem to think. The bjorn is just too uncomfortable, same with the hip hammock. I tried a Hotsling and he's really just too big & heavy to be in a 1-shoulder carrier at this point.

May 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm adding another "vote" for the sling. I used instructions from the maya wrap website to make my own. It is by far the best carrier I ever used... I'm only sorry it took until my fifth baby for me to discover it!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search