How about when they are at a friends house?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM
mommyKathyX3
This is a spinoff off the barbie/bratz are they bad debate. I personally am picky about barbies in our house. I will allow SOME but not others. Depends on the barbie. Now Bratz, I will NEVER allow them in our house and if someone gives one of the girls one, I will politly ask them if they have a receipt cause they are not allowed to own one. Everyone knows so we've never had the issue though. I USED to hate all barbies, but I'll accept them, especially cause my girls love princesses . Anyway, I've told them before though that if they are at a friends house and they have bratz I'd perfer if they'd find something else to play with but they CAN play with them if everyone else is. Neither of them like the bratz dolls much anyway, but how do you guys deal with that?

Some of you said that your kids are not allowed to PLAY with them bratz or barbies or both, but say they go over a friends house?

How about if they recieve one as a gift? Do you say something or do you take it back or do you throw it out or what?
May 5th, 2007, 12:40 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I am a worry wart so mine do not go to friend's homes often. My ten year old has been twice in his life and my 8 year old has not been at all.

When my ten year old DID go I have no control over what they allow or do not allow so it was up to their discretion.
May 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM
M4NE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have boys, so the whole Bratz/Barbie thing isn't an issue. The boys have a cousin who isn't allowed to play with toy swords or water guns. When he comes over, we put those types of toys away out of respect for the parent's wishes. As far as if the boys go to someone else's house, they know what they can and can't play with/watch on tv. (I really don't like the Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh stuff) Daniel especially is very good about saying "My mommy doesn't let me play with/watch that."

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
To me, if they have them and play with them at a friend's house, I won't necessary like it but I'm not supervising so it isn't really my place to say. (Of course, if it were something dangerous, that would be another story...) However, if my theoretical daughter ever receiving one for a gift, I probably wouldn't have the guys to ask for a receipt, I'd just take it back to Walmart since they don't need receipts

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I wouldn't allow my child to play at someones house that I didn't know. So I would know if she was playing with bratz. And the other mom would know that I didn't allow it.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
This is a spinoff off the barbie/bratz are they bad debate. I personally am picky about barbies in our house. I will allow SOME but not others. Depends on the barbie. Now Bratz, I will NEVER allow them in our house and if someone gives one of the girls one, I will politly ask them if they have a receipt cause they are not allowed to own one. Everyone knows so we've never had the issue though. I USED to hate all barbies, but I'll accept them, especially cause my girls love princesses . Anyway, I've told them before though that if they are at a friends house and they have bratz I'd perfer if they'd find something else to play with but they CAN play with them if everyone else is. Neither of them like the bratz dolls much anyway, but how do you guys deal with that?

Some of you said that your kids are not allowed to PLAY with them bratz or barbies or both, but say they go over a friends house?

How about if they recieve one as a gift? Do you say something or do you take it back or do you throw it out or what?[/b]
I don't know. I feel like my girl is going to have a rebellion stage. Whatever Peek a boo Cheerleader Barbie is out there, I'm sure she'll want it. I don't know how to approach "no, not that kinda doll" with her.. I don't think a four year old girl is going to care about studies that show her this crap is harming her health!

Honestly, I hope to instill some real values like donation to the rest of world in her. I know grandparents are going to be giving us Barbies just to piss me off. So if she know to roll her eyes, I'll thank the feminist gods but if she is happy and excited, I'll have to suck it up. So if she is at her friends, and her friends have parents that encourage this sexist crap.. I'll have to know that I have more influence at home and pray to the feminist gods she drops those shallow friends. In the meantime I'll have to find a feminist group for support and a place to cry.

Dh said he plans on having her playing with GI Joes so... I'm stuck with violence or sexism? AAAHHHH!!!!!! (But dh claims GI Joe is about teamwork.)
May 6th, 2007, 04:32 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I honestly don't know what I will do. My family will for sure be buying them to tease me I don't think I would freak out as much if she had played with a Barbie, but there will be no playing with Bratz. I hope the trend dies down in the next few years, but if it doesn't I suppose I will approach the other parent and let them know that Ryleigh isn't allowed to play with them at our house or elsewhere, and ask if the Bratz can be put away for the playdate. I would gladly do the same with any toys that her friends were not allowed to play with, so I would hope that other parents would accomodate in the same way.
May 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to EmilysMommy04
As I have said on the first topic. my girls play with bratz and barbies . I dont see the problem with them. if Im at a friends they play with them there to. jmo

May 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM
lschultz's Avatar Veteran
I would like to think that I know the parents well enough to know what they find acceptable for the child to play with and what they dont. If I disagree with my child playing with something I know they have he will not be allowed to play over their....but it also depends on my kids...if he is mature enough to understand my reasoning for not playing with specific toys then we will cross that bridge when we get to it. For instance I dont like toy guns...I dont like to pretend we are shooting each other, and stabbing ect...but if ds doesnt come home pretending to shoot me then I dont have a problem with it. It can be ignored temporarily...I think its the long term play that becomes the problem not the occasional visit to the friends house. Bratz dolls arent a threat until the child is engaged in them so much that she now wants to dress like them...I dont think the occasional visit to a friends house to play is going to cause all that. If Im wrong then we will deal with it then but, intitially it isnt an issue...does this make sense?

Kayden Alaina Brian

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search