private schools

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
If money was not an issue, would you put your child in a private school or would you still send him/her to public school? Why for either choice

May 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM
ahixon
Yes, I sure would. I don't really trust the public school system, and in private schools most of the time class sizes are smaller, so the students get more one on one attention.
May 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends on the school. If the school we were zoned for was good, I'd still send my child there (the elementary school we're zoned for now is fantastic). "Public" doesn't always equal bad.
May 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
DEFINENTLY private school. My dad worked at a private high school called the Taft School (in Connecticut) while I was in middle school, he was the library director there. I was accepted to go to school there but unfortunately after the first year of my dad working there it wasn't working out and he found another job. So anyways I still regret not being able to go there. There were kids from all different countries and cultures and backgrounds (way more so than any public school I've ever seen) and the academic aspect was completely above and beyond the public school system. And the school systems in CT are good too.
All the foreign language teachers were native speakers, and for most of their classes they had different levels, like you could take French at the highest level if you were good at languages and you could take the slower paced class if you weren't. Most of the kids that graduated HS there wound up going to prestigious Ivy League colleges too. If we had stayed there I think my life would be a LOT different right now. I definently wouldn't be in the marine corps, but I don't regret it. I'm still going to go to an awesome college when I get out.

Anyways I'm sorry for rambling, but high schools like that cost about $35,000 a year for boarding students, and maybe $25,000 for day students. I would gladly pay that for my daughter's education.
http://www.taftschool.org/

ETA: I would also consider sending her to a parochial school over a public school any day.
May 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM
LaceyMommy2B
depends on the school... i went to public.. dh went to private..most of the ppl that i knew ended up in universities, or at least started at the entrance level in community college.. nearly ALL of DH grad class and the class before had to take remedial classes. he went to a bad private school. if you paid the money, you passed the class. it was REALLY bad.

WANT TO CLARIFY.. im not saying all public schools are better than all private schools.. not AT ALL lol.. cause i went to some BADDDD public schools. just was trying make the point that it really does depend on the school.
May 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
It depends on the school. If the school we were zoned for was good, I'd still send my child there (the elementary school we're zoned for now is fantastic). "Public" doesn't always equal bad.[/b]

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I wonder if people realize that the biggest problem in public schools tends to be lack of parental involvement. Public schools cannot force parents to become involved in projects, extra curricular activities or anything else. Private schools often are able to do this.

The problem with the private schools in my area is that they all seem to be segregated in some way or another. The Catholic schools are mostly white upper class. I don't have any charter schools close to me. The nearest ones also seem to be segregated. There are some that seem more white upper class, black and white middle class, and then black and white lower class.

I don't want to intentionally send my child to a school with such limited culture. I believe that no matter what color or what income status we fall under we all have something to learn from each other that cannot be taught through books.

Another problem I have with the local Catholic schools is that they do not require their teachers to even have degrees. While this may not bother some people it does bother me. Maybe that is because I have a degree in elementary education!

May 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Another problem I have with the local Catholic schools is that they do not require their teachers to even have degrees. While this may not bother some people it does bother me. Maybe that is because I have a degree in elementary education![/b]
Wow, that's BS. My aunt is a parochial school teacher and I know she has a degree. But we are Lutheran...I don't know how Catholics do things.
May 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Another problem I have with the local Catholic schools is that they do not require their teachers to even have degrees.[/b]
How is that even possible? How can a school be accredited if the teachers do not have degrees? Is this a private pre-school, that would make sense. Are you referring to teacher's assistants? I don't even see how it is possible or legal to have a school where the teacher does not have a degree.

May 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to a tiny public school, graduated with about 23 kids and because of that class size we got tons of attention and help with school.. but I'd consider a private, and have considered a montessori up to high school

May 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Another problem I have with the local Catholic schools is that they do not require their teachers to even have degrees. While this may not bother some people it does bother me. Maybe that is because I have a degree in elementary education![/b]
Wow, that's BS. My aunt is a parochial school teacher and I know she has a degree. But we are Lutheran...I don't know how Catholics do things.
[/b][/quote]

Quote:
Quote:
Another problem I have with the local Catholic schools is that they do not require their teachers to even have degrees.[/b]
How is that even possible? How can a school be accredited if the teachers do not have degrees? Is this a private pre-school, that would make sense. Are you referring to teacher's assistants? I don't even see how it is possible or legal to have a school where the teacher does not have a degree.
[/b]

I'm not sure if all Catholic schools are the same. This is the one in my area. It was several different buildings but it was K-12. It is now only K-8.

I know this because a friend of mine who I went to college with was unable to pass the Praxis test (a required test for a teaching license in NJ). He was not able to obtain a license and therefore was not qualified to work in any public school. He finally got a job as a high school math teacher in the Catholic school.

Many of the teachers there DID have degrees but several did not. A lot of the teachers didn't have a teaching license. They can go by different laws. They do not have to follow the laws of the state for public schools.

May 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
donomama
I think it depends on the situation we're in - how good the public school that we're assigned to, etc. Right now, we're planning on sending my DD to a private kindergarten, but after that we'll send her to public. I don't think that private schools are automatically better than public. Generally, they're just riched kids with a different set of the same problems. They use more expensive drugs. I don't think parently involvement is neccessarily any better either. In public schools, parents often have to work longh ours if there is a single parent household, but in private schools, the parents have to work long hours in order to pay tuition. I don't think you can make a generalization about all public or all private schools.
May 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Private school, definitely. I dont particularly care for public schools.

Some of the reason why we are going to homeschool is because we wouldnt be able to afford private schooling.

May 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Quote:
How is that even possible? How can a school be accredited if the teachers do not have degrees? Is this a private pre-school, that would make sense. Are you referring to teacher's assistants? I don't even see how it is possible or legal to have a school where the teacher does not have a degree. [/b]

They're private schools, they can have whomever they wish to be teachers. They don't have the same laws as public schools. It's the same with homeschooling... a parent doesn't have to be an accredited teacher to homeschool they're children in many states. Different states have different requirements.

May 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>Another problem I have with the local Catholic schools is that they do not require their teachers to even have degrees. While this may not bother some people it does bother me. Maybe that is because I have a degree in elementary education![/b]
[/b][/quote]

Quote:
Quote:
[/b]

I'm not sure if all Catholic schools are the same. This is the one in my area. It was several different buildings but it was K-12. It is now only K-8.

I know this because a friend of mine who I went to college with was unable to pass the Praxis test (a required test for a teaching license in NJ). He was not able to obtain a license and therefore was not qualified to work in any public school. He finally got a job as a high school math teacher in the Catholic school.

Many of the teachers there DID have degrees but several did not. A lot of the teachers didn't have a teaching license. They can go by different laws. They do not have to follow the laws of the state for public schools.
[/b][/quote]

It's true though. I went to a Catholic school in NJ and they didn't have to follow any of the guidelines public schools did. Especially when it came to the amount of days off during the school year; public schools had to have X amount of days no matter what, the Catholic school would give days off when they were waxing the gym floor and not have to worry about it
May 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, each school and each kid is individual, so i couldn't say one way or the other... i do wish i had the financial freedom to be ABLE to choose whatever school is most appropriate for him, or... be able to homeschool. But, since i'm going to be a single mom, that's really going to limit my options.
May 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How is that even possible? How can a school be accredited if the teachers do not have degrees? Is this a private pre-school, that would make sense. Are you referring to teacher's assistants? I don't even see how it is possible or legal to have a school where the teacher does not have a degree. [/b]

They're private schools, they can have whomever they wish to be teachers. They don't have the same laws as public schools. It's the same with homeschooling... a parent doesn't have to be an accredited teacher to homeschool they're children in many states. Different states have different requirements.
[/b]
Just curious in this. So if it is not accredited does that mean the kids have to get their GED anyway to get into college? Or is the SAT & ACT score good enough. My niece went to an non credited Southern Baptist High School but did not persue college so I do not understand that step in it.
May 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sbwolfer @ May 6 2007, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Just curious in this. So if it is not accredited does that mean the kids have to get their GED anyway to get into college? Or is the SAT & ACT score good enough. My niece went to an non credited Southern Baptist High School but did not persue college so I do not understand that step in it. [/b][/quote]

http://www.homeschoolzone.com/faq/highschool.htm

May 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
If for some reason we were no longer able to homeschool, a Catholic school would be my first choice. Private schools are not immune to problems, though. Parental involvement is the key to a good education for your child no matter where s/he receives that education.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Quote:
If for some reason we were no longer able to homeschool, a Catholic school would be my first choice. Private schools are not immune to problems, though. Parental involvement is the key to a good education for your child no matter where s/he receives that education.[/b]

May 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't homeschool her either, not that I have the choice because I'm a working mom. But I was homeschooled from 1st to 8th grade, up until my mom figured out that she didn't know enough to teach me any more, and then I had a terrible time when I started going to public school again in 8th grade. I also realize that some people have a wonderful experience with homeschooling and that's awesome for them but I'm just saying I wouldn't be able to do it, and I did not have a good experience with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search