vegetarian children

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
sorry didn't know of another way to put it lol. Anyway...

How do you feel about parents who eat meat and eveything else but made the choice to put their child(ren) on a no meat lifestyle. Do you think it's wrong or do you think it's more of a "do as i say and not as i do" type of thing?

May 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I don't understand that, why would you want to make more work for yourself by making two different meals? lol
May 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I personally don't see the point. I like my meat...
May 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Here is the last thread on that ... not too long ago

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=580650
May 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I don't get why parents who eat meat would want to raise their kids vegetarian. But, then again, I don't get a lot of the things some parents do. (And I'm sure there are lots who don't understand things I do!)

edited, sorry...

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM
lol i ask this because(oh oh personal story coming up lol) a friend of mine has decided to start her daughter on a vegetarian diet because she says she wants her raised healthy so i was visiting her and i noticed she had made her daughter a some noodles with italian dressing on it but she was sitting there eating a big mac so i asked her "i thought y'all were going vegetarian" she says " no, i want HER to grow up healthy." sorry i just don't get that. Her and her husband barbeque like EVERY weekend! Her daughter's 4 and was eating meat prior to this so i just wonder what kind of affect this is going to have on her. I mean the kid LOVES her chicken nuggets lol. But yeah i just dont understand it

eta i can see if you were going to make a lifestyle change as a family

May 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
lol i ask this because(oh oh personal story coming up lol) a friend of mine has decided to start her daughter on a vegetarian diet because she says she wants her raised healthy so i was visiting her and i noticed she had made her daughter a some noodles with italian dressing on it but she was sitting there eating a big mac so i asked her "i thought y'all were going vegetarian" she says " no, i want HER to grow up healthy." sorry i just don't get that. Her and her husband barbeque like EVERY weekend! Her daughter's 4 and was eating meat prior to this so i just wonder what kind of affect this is going to have on her. I mean the kid LOVES her chicken nuggets lol. But yeah i just dont understand it

eta i can see if you were going to make a lifestyle change as a family[/b]
Uhh... yeah, that seems a bit off.
May 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM
We are not vegetarian, but have meatless meals a lot. Vegetarianism is more than just not eating meat- you have to know what to eat instead. This is ESPECIALLY important for children that still need plenty of protein and fat. Noodles w/ Italian dressing is NOT a complete meal. Sounds like not only is her mentality wrong, but her understanding of nutrition is lacking.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 6th, 2007, 08:13 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It seems odd to me if you're not going to make that choice as a family. If you're just going to make your child eat vegetarian, that's very hypocritical. I can understand the health benefits (to a point), but I don't understand why you wouldn't want to do it yourself.

May 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Quote:
We are not vegetarian, but have meatless meals a lot. Vegetarianism is more than just not eating meat- you have to know what to eat instead. This is ESPECIALLY important for children that still need plenty of protein and fat. Noodles w/ Italian dressing is NOT a complete meal. Sounds like not only is her mentality wrong, but her understanding of nutrition is lacking.[/b]

I should have made it clear this was around lunch time(well 330 lol) sry, i dont know what they had for dinner.But i definately see what you're saying, it's still not nutritional.

May 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Veteran
I am a vegetarian since birth, and my daughter is as well. My dh is not. I can understand why a parent who eats meat could end up in this situation--from what I hear, it's difficult to stop eating meat. Maybe the parent does not have the willpower, but believes it to be healthier and chooses it for the child.

Vegetarianism IS healthier, I don't care what any of you say.. But you have to know how to go about being one. There are wayyyy to many misconceptions about what vegetarians eat. First word out of people's mouths to me is "What do you eat if you don't eat meat?" or "So you eat pasta at every meal?".. Veggies can eat ANYTHING a meat eater eats, minus the meat.

Noodles w/ Italian dressing is not very healthy. If it's like pasta salad, you know--once in a while it's fine. But she needs to replace the protein the child is not getting with other protein filled items such as beans/veggies/peanut butter/substitute meats/and so on.
May 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Quote:
I am a vegetarian since birth, and my daughter is as well. My dh is not. I can understand why a parent who eats meat could end up in this situation--from what I hear, it's difficult to stop eating meat. Maybe the parent does not have the willpower, but believes it to be healthier and chooses it for the child.

Vegetarianism IS healthier, I don't care what any of you say.. But you have to know how to go about being one. There are wayyyy to many misconceptions about what vegetarians eat. First word out of people's mouths to me is "What do you eat if you don't eat meat?" or "So you eat pasta at every meal?".. Veggies can eat ANYTHING a meat eater eats, minus the meat.

Noodles w/ Italian dressing is not very healthy. If it's like pasta salad, you know--once in a while it's fine. But she needs to replace the protein the child is not getting with other protein filled items such as beans/veggies/peanut butter/substitute meats/and so on.[/b]
If it's so much healthier, why were we MADE to be omnivores? (Honest question, not being mean...)
May 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
and also if it's healthier why do you need to replace nutrients lost from meats? Also just curious

May 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Veteran
Quote:
If it's so much healthier, why were we MADE to be omnivores? (Honest question, not being mean...)[/b]
How were we made to be omnivores?

Quote:
and also if it's healthier why do you need to replace nutrients lost from meats? Also just curious[/b]
Because if you use meat as your sole source of protein, and you cut that out of your diet--you'd need to get protein elsewhere.
May 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Quote:
If it's so much healthier, why were we MADE to be omnivores? (Honest question, not being mean...)[/b]
How were we made to be omnivores?[/b]
Humans have been eating meat since the beginning of time... Without it, they would have died out. How can you say we weren't made to eat meat?

Quote:
Quote:
and also if it's healthier why do you need to replace nutrients lost from meats? Also just curious[/b]
Because if you use meat as your sole source of protein, and you cut that out of your diet--you'd need to get protein elsewhere.
[/b]
Exactly... So meat IS a valid part of a healthy diet.
May 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I don't agree with the statement that vegeterianism( lol sry if that's not a word,having a brainfart ) is healthier . I get what you're saying about omnivores though Caeden's mama.

May 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Humans have been eating meat since the beginning of time... Without it, they would have died out. How can you say we weren't made to eat meat?
[/b]
Really? Because I believe the original diet was fruits, nuts and grains---not even veggies in the garden of Eden. How the heck would people have died out by not eating meat?? Meat is a DEAD animal. Meat carries the cancer virus. Red meat is incredibly bad for your heart. Flesh meats are one of the #1 causes of food poisoning. Wait..think this through.. D.e.a.d. A.n.i.m.a.l. Sounds delicious to me.

ETA: Oh, and if you pour liquor(I think it's liquor) on raw pork, worms will come out. Yum.
May 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caeden @ May 6 2007, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
Really? Because I believe the original diet was fruits, nuts and grains---not even veggies in the garden of Eden. How the heck would people have died out by not eating meat?? Meat is a DEAD animal. Meat carries the cancer virus. Red meat is incredibly bad for your heart. Flesh meats are one of the #1 causes of food poisoning. Wait..think this through.. D.e.a.d. A.n.i.m.a.l. Sounds delicious to me.

ETA: Oh, and if you pour liquor(I think it's liquor) on raw pork, worms will come out. Yum.
[/b][/quote]

Really, so our ancestors DIDN'T hunt and eat meat? Wow, have i been misinformed...
May 7th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say its really a crazy idea... because if you don't know what to feed your child to get the proper diet then NO... But eating a Big Mac in front of your child... while their eating noodles and italian dressing... something is WRONG...

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
May 7th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Throughout the world, vegetarianism is VERY rare among primitive cultures. There are, however, very healthy people who subsist ENTIRELY on animals. In many places that have poor growing conditions, a vegetarian diet would be completely unsustainable.

As for worms crawling out of pork, you supposedly achieve this effect with Coke, but it is comptely FALSE. And I would also like to point out that recent widespread recalls due to poisoning have been peanut butter and spinach.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search