50 Yards Away

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Shoudl the parents be charged with some other offense?
Yes 15 39.47%
No 18 47.37%
Other (please explain) 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I just fail to see the relevance in the measure of distance between the hotel room, the children and the parents. The only thing the story should read is "paren't leave young children unsupervised and 3 year old is missing". How far away the restaraunt was does not matter, they left 3 children, the oldest a 3 year old ALONE! For children that age you should never be outside a distance where the children can be clearly heard and reached. Anything can happen! The children could have woken up and been scared, they could have gotten into something and hurt themselves, they could have fallen off the bed, or they worst case scenario which did happen! 40 yards? Well, they might as well have been in a different country. They left their children unsupervised and therefore failed to protect them.[/b]
I 100% agree.
May 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The cultural aspect is what blows my mind. These were educated people, and a GROUP of them, that means that 9 other people were aware that these parents were leaving the kids alone..

May 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Veteran
I'm sure the parents are feeling guilty enough as it is, but they should be charged... There's not excuse!! If the children were a bit older, I wouldn't think so poorly of the act, but two 2 year olds and a 3 year old?? What if one of them woke up? They're not old enough to keep themselves safe should they wake up. They could be turning on scalding water, choking, any number of things. And 30 minutes is more than too long.

ETA: If they were sitting directly outside their room where they could be at the door in 5 seconds and had it in plain sight constantly, with a baby monitor maybe would have been ok.
May 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I voted "no"... for now at least. I'm really not sure. If the parents were charged with child endangerment, what then? How could any legal proceeding possibly be worse than the punishment they are already going through? I don't see how charging them with a crime would do any good for anybody.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM
chlodoll
I dont know what should happen but what they did was ridiculous. I have been trying to talk DH into a vacation but we have decided against it right now because our child is only 18 months and we would have to go into our hotel at 8 pm every night! So we are not going!! I would never put our child to bed and do what we please in a forgien country. Its nothing like sitting in my own backyard having dinner. I could hear my son on his baby monitor or just through the window in my yard and I could be up there in no time. Also my house has an alarm system. These parents made a horrible decision.
May 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM
donomama
Kind of OT, but I know a couple that just went on a cruise with their 20 month old daughter. Each night, they would put their baby to sleep and then go do stuff around the cruise ship.
May 7th, 2007, 09:16 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I voted no. I think they've got punished enough.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Kind of OT, but I know a couple that just went on a cruise with their 20 month old daughter. Each night, they would put their baby to sleep and then go do stuff around the cruise ship. [/b]
Why are people so stupid and careless with the well-being of their CHILDREN?!?!
May 7th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I dont want charges pressed against them, but I do think its child endangerment

May 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Kind of OT, but I know a couple that just went on a cruise with their 20 month old daughter. Each night, they would put their baby to sleep and then go do stuff around the cruise ship. [/b]

I agree with Stacey...
If we even have to measure the distance in yards it's too far....
I don't know what should be done about their punishment but it definitely is child endangerment!
30 minutes I can't even fathom why anyone would think that is ok. I take London's basi to the shower with me!!!!

and what the heck is this about - tried to carry on with their Algarve holiday for the sake of their other two toddlers-
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but they are going about their vacation????WHAT!!

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

May 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I truly didnt understand the idea if carrying on your vacation because you still have two children.. I get carrying on your lives later down the road.. but your VACATION? the same one where your child was abducted?

May 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
donomama
Quote:
I truly didnt understand the idea if carrying on your vacation because you still have two children.. I get carrying on your lives later down the road.. but your VACATION? the same one where your child was abducted?[/b]

Wait... WHAT??!?!?! I guess I need to read the article. They stayed on their vacation?
May 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Pure Innocence
Well, what do you mean by staying there? If my kid was taken I'd stay too as that is likely the place she is going to be found. But like, are they going shopping and having a good ole time?
May 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
They said they are continuing their vacation for the sake of their other 2 children, to not ruin it for them

May 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
donomama
That's WEIRD!!! I think this vacation has already been ruined for the other 2 kids. When they think back on it, they're not going to remember anything but that their sister was kidnapped.
May 7th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thier other 2 children are two years old!!! Do you really think they are worried about going to the beach? They want to know where thier sister is!!!!

May 7th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I truly didnt understand the idea if carrying on your vacation because you still have two children.. I get carrying on your lives later down the road.. but your VACATION? the same one where your child was abducted?[/b]
ITA! There is no way I could carry on my vacation in light of my child being abducted, not knowing what was happening to her or even if she was alive. Sorry, I couldn't be a tourist and take pics and shop. I would be camped at the police station or handing out flyers, anything to get my baby back. To hell with the vacation.

May 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM
other quotes

And retired headmaster Brian Kennedy - the uncle of Maddie's mumwho lives in the same village - said: "The children were left only in the sense that when you put your children to bed you don't stay in the room all night. They are highly responsible parents who are devoted to their family."

and another “I recommended Portugal as a holiday destination. They love children over there.”

May 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
responsible parents who are devoted to their family."[/b]

and another “I recommended Portugal as a holiday destination. They love children over there.”[/b]
They sure do!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search