50 Yards Away

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Shoudl the parents be charged with some other offense?
Yes 15 39.47%
No 18 47.37%
Other (please explain) 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
here is the Vaca quote
Quote:
As Maddie's anguished parents - heart consultant Gerry McCann and GP Kate, both 38 - tried to carry on with their Algarve holiday for the sake of their other two toddlers, senior investigator Guihermino Encarnaca said: "There is a prime suspect and there is a portrait sketch of the suspect.[/b]

May 7th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
A close friend of the McCanns, Jill Renwick, said the parents were adamant their daughter had been abducted.
“They were just watching the hotel room and going back every half-hour,” she said.

“They went out about eight, went back in at nine, they were fine, went back in at 10 – and she was gone. They are very, very anxious parents and very careful and they chose Mark Warner because it is a family-friendly resort.”[/b]
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/6232

Ok, it is every half-hour or every hour that they checked on their neglected children? I guess it doesn't matter, it's child endagerment, either way....
[/b][/quote]
ditto
May 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
My terrible and suspicious minds begins to wonder how this even happened in the first place. I have seen so many stories where a parent claims "someone kidnapped my child" and then it turns out the parent was involved that in situations like this it makes me suspicious of the parents.

Why would they go so far away, leaving the children unattended? How did anyone know that there were children in the room unattended? How did someone happen to time the kidnapping between the 30 minute intervals that the parents were supposedly checking on the kids? Why was only the one child taken?

Maybe I'm just too suspicious for my own good!

May 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The Police believe someone was watching the couple and room in order to know that they were checking and didnt have childcare set up for the kids

May 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
My terrible and suspicious minds begins to wonder how this even happened in the first place. I have seen so many stories where a parent claims "someone kidnapped my child" and then it turns out the parent was involved that in situations like this it makes me suspicious of the parents.

Why would they go so far away, leaving the children unattended? How did anyone know that there were children in the room unattended? How did someone happen to time the kidnapping between the 30 minute intervals that the parents were supposedly checking on the kids? Why was only the one child taken?

Maybe I'm just too suspicious for my own good![/b]
Actually, this has crossed my mind. I hope it is NOT the case though.
May 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
I just fail to see the relevance in the measure of distance between the hotel room, the children and the parents. The only thing the story should read is "paren't leave young children unsupervised and 3 year old is missing". How far away the restaraunt was does not matter, they left 3 children, the oldest a 3 year old ALONE! For children that age you should never be outside a distance where the children can be clearly heard and reached. Anything can happen! The children could have woken up and been scared, they could have gotten into something and hurt themselves, they could have fallen off the bed, or they worst case scenario which did happen! 40 yards? Well, they might as well have been in a different country. They left their children unsupervised and therefore failed to protect them.[/b]
My feelings exactly. They must be feeling such guilt on op of their anguish. What a nightmare! I hope she is recovered with minimal lasting trauma!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
Quote:
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml
that link has an actual picture overhead of the complex where they were staying[/b]
OMG!!!

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

May 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml
that link has an actual picture overhead of the complex where they were staying[/b]
OMG!!!
[/b][/quote]
I know!!

May 7th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I was at a daytime party, and one of the guests left her children ages 6 and 2 in the car while she and her husband were inside at the party - I called the police on her. That is inattended. They were in the driveway, maybe 6 yards away - but we could neither see nor hear them. We didn't even know that they were out there alone until the 6 year old came to the door after an hour, wanting to use the bathroom. At which point the 2 year old was in the car with the door open, cmpletely alone. Totally irresponsible and had I been stalking those children I would have had them and been long gone. The mother said they were fine they had their dvd player and video games - and another guest told me she does this all the time! I don't feel at all bad calling the police on her even though she sent me a threatening email about it saying I caused trouble for her with her custody battle with her ex-husband. So?! Don't leave your kids alone and I won't have cause to call the authorities!

Okay, O/T a bit, but it just surprises me how many people do things like this. If you cannot either see or hear your child, or reach them quickly if you need to, you are endangering them.

eta the "ex" to ex-husband

May 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I was at a daytime party, and one of the guests left her children ages 6 and 2 in the car while she and her husband were inside at the party - I called the police on her. That is inattended. They were in the driveway, maybe 6 yards away - but we could neither see nor hear them. We didn't even know that they were out there alone until the 6 year old came to the door after an hour, wanting to use the bathroom. At which point the 2 year old was in the car with the door open, cmpletely alone. Totally irresponsible and had I been stalking those children I would have had them and been long gone. The mother said they were fine they had their dvd player and video games - and another guest told me she does this all the time! I don't feel at all bad calling the police on her even though she sent me a threatening email about it saying I caused trouble for her with her custody battle with her husband. So?! Don't leave your kids alone and I won't have cause to call the authorities!

Okay, O/T a bit, but it just surprises me how many people do things like this. If you cannot either see or hear your child, or reach them quickly if you need to, you are endangering them.[/b]
Good for you. No wonder they were having a custody battle....Hopefully she didn't get them.
May 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
chlodoll
I dont understand why they wouldnt just use the daycare these hotels usually offer. Its a minimal fee and I am sure a nanny would have just sat in their room until they returned. There is a burger king less then 40 yards from me but I dont go to get food while my son is in his room!
May 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
What a sad thing for Madeline. I hope she is found safe and with as little trauma as possible.

I do think it's neglectful to leave the children alone while they were across the compound. I find it odd that they refused to take advantage of a FREE babysitting service - I mean, an adult there while the kids are sleeping - why would they turn that down in lieu of being in the restaurant checking on them every half hour or so. And how in the world does one feel okay with doing that? I'm baffled. Even if it's cultural it still seems odd to me that a parent would feel SAFE leaving the children unattended like that. Why didn't one parent stay behind if they weren't utilizing the free babysitting service?

*shakes head*

I get caught up in the details.

I think they should be charged with some type of neglect. I think they should be ordered to do community service in the form of helping organizations that devote themselves to finding missing children. I think they should be required to take parenting classes.

I think that they should hold fast to their two year olds and pray that their selfishness and lack of regard for the safety of their children doesn't mean they will never see their daughter again.

This wasn't an accident. This wasn't "one of those things" - this was something that they could have very easily prevented and they had the OPPORTUNITY to prevent. They were handed free babysitting.

And no - it's not like being in the other room of your house while your children are sleeping. It's like being in the back room of a house on the next block over.[/b]
May 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I saw no mention of 50 yards in the article, it said they went to a nearby restaraunt. However, if the restaraunt was 50 yards, 5 miles or in the room next door, there is no excuse to leave 3 children under the age of 3 unsupervised. The parents hold some responsibility for their child's abduction, IMO. My daughter is about to be 6 years old and I won't leave her unsupervised to walk to the mailbox, much less go to a restaraunt.[/b]
Same here, DD is 10.5 months old, but still. I don't leave her inside sleeping or not while I water the lawn or check the mail, or whatnot.

On another side, I'm not sure the age of the child [I know she was young], but how about children who stay home alone after school, couldn't that be the same thing? I was respsonbile in 4th grade for my younger siblings. They'd answer the door for anybody, stranger or friend.
May 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Quote:
On another side, I'm not sure the age of the child [I know she was young], but how about children who stay home alone after school, couldn't that be the same thing? I was respsonbile in 4th grade for my younger siblings. They'd answer the door for anybody, stranger or friend.[/b]
That's a whole nother debate, lol. IMO it dpends on the ability of the older child to manage the younger kids. 4th grade (9 years?) IMO is too young to be responsible for more than 1 close in age child. Too young to be responsible for any child yunger than toddler. Now, 11, maybe, if they were responsible and their younger sibs would mind them. And only for a short time, where they would not be required to prepare a meal. Definitely no answering the door!

May 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is just too weird... Leaving your children alone? NOT hiring an available babysitting service? Continuing with your vacation AFTER your child has been abducted? This story just creeps me out, i gotta say...

Quote:
I dont want charges pressed against them, but I do think its child endangerment[/b]
Honestly, i don't get this... several of you have said it. If it was child endangerment (which i TOTALLY think it was), why SHOULDN'T they be charged? If someone drives drunk and kills their sister who was a passenger with them, do we say "Oh, that was punishment enough, lets not charge them"? No, we don't... So why should this situation be any different? I guess i'm just confused on that reasoning...
May 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
This is just too weird... Leaving your children alone? NOT hiring an available babysitting service? Continuing with your vacation AFTER your child has been abducted? This story just creeps me out, i gotta say...

Quote:
I dont want charges pressed against them, but I do think its child endangerment[/b]
Honestly, i don't get this... several of you have said it. If it was child endangerment (which i TOTALLY think it was), why SHOULDN'T they be charged? If someone drives drunk and kills their sister who was a passenger with them, do we say "Oh, that was punishment enough, lets not charge them"? No, we don't... So why should this situation be any different? I guess i'm just confused on that reasoning...
[/b]
The way I see it, if the girl is returned safe and sound the parents shouldn't be charged as I think this huge scare was lesson enough to get it through their heads that leaving their kids is not a good idea. If the child is in some way harmed then I do think the parents should be charged, because if it wasn't for the parents, the child wouldn't have been taken in the first place.
May 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Honestly, i don't get this... several of you have said it. If it was child endangerment (which i TOTALLY think it was), why SHOULDN'T they be charged? If someone drives drunk and kills their sister who was a passenger with them, do we say "Oh, that was punishment enough, lets not charge them"? No, we don't... So why should this situation be any different? I guess i'm just confused on that reasoning... [/b]
I do think it was child endangerment - but I am not sure they should be charged. I don't know what the consequences that kind of charge brings. If they went to jail, that would be leaving their 2 younger children without parents
If there was a lesser charge, or if the endangerment charge doesn't carry jail time, but like someone else mentioned community servce, I would agree that they should be charged with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search