50 Yards Away

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Shoudl the parents be charged with some other offense?
Yes 15 39.47%
No 18 47.37%
Other (please explain) 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Pure Innocence
I think parenting classes are in order no matter what.
May 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
and again I reiterate that some of this is cultural, its part of the norm.. you'd have to have a parenting class for all of Europe, and its just a different belief system... not that all of Europe does this, but its not the first story, or the second that we've read like this

May 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I do think that having your child go missing is already a horrible punishment for the crime of leaving them unattended.
But had their child started a fire that burned down the hotel and injured or killed someone, they would have been responsible. The fact that the victims of their negligence are themselves doesn't absolve them of responsibility.
May seem cold but there has to be a consequence for simply leaving your child unattended, regardless of the outcome. I would hope that a judge would consider the punishment they are already enduring in any sentencing though.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 7th, 2007, 12:57 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
I do think that having your child go missing is already a horrible punishment for the crime of leaving them unattended.
But had their child started a fire that burned down the hotel and injured or killed someone, they would have been responsible. The fact that the victims of their negligence are themselves doesn't absolve them of responsibility.
May seem cold but there has to be a consequence for simply leaving your child unattended, regardless of the outcome. I would hope that a judge would consider the punishment they are already enduring in any sentencing though.[/b]

Hmmm....good point!

May 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
May seem cold but there has to be a consequence for simply leaving your child unattended, regardless of the outcome. I would hope that a judge would consider the punishment they are already enduring in any sentencing though.[/b]

Hmmm....good point!
[/b]
I agree, good point.
May 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM
donomama
Quote:
and again I reiterate that some of this is cultural, its part of the norm.. you'd have to have a parenting class for all of Europe, and its just a different belief system... not that all of Europe does this, but its not the first story, or the second that we've read like this[/b]

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for those other parents who think this is normal and ok behavior.
May 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Wow I'm sorry I came in on the back end of this thread. I was going to start one last night but I had to go to bed. I was absoloutly appalled when I heard about this story. Even more so at the comment that "it's just like you eating dinner in your backyard". Okay, I would NEVER leave my child alone, if we eat in the backyard we take her with us! She is in our sight at all times except when we are all sleeping. I think that was a horribly irresponisble thing to do, leaving three young children alone in a foreign country just so they could go to a bar.
And I don't think they should be charged because IF they get her back I'm sure they will never do anything like that again. And if they don't get her back...well then they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

And about the cruise and leaving the baby alone...most cruise ships have babysitting until late hours of the morning, why don't people use some freaking common sense!!!! Cruise ships are not safe, people go missing on them all the time!!!
May 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
This is just too weird... Leaving your children alone? NOT hiring an available babysitting service? Continuing with your vacation AFTER your child has been abducted? This story just creeps me out, i gotta say...

Quote:
I dont want charges pressed against them, but I do think its child endangerment[/b]
Honestly, i don't get this... several of you have said it. If it was child endangerment (which i TOTALLY think it was), why SHOULDN'T they be charged? If someone drives drunk and kills their sister who was a passenger with them, do we say "Oh, that was punishment enough, lets not charge them"? No, we don't... So why should this situation be any different? I guess i'm just confused on that reasoning...
[/b]
The way I see it, if the girl is returned safe and sound the parents shouldn't be charged as I think this huge scare was lesson enough to get it through their heads that leaving their kids is not a good idea. If the child is in some way harmed then I do think the parents should be charged, because if it wasn't for the parents, the child wouldn't have been taken in the first place.
[/b]
Still don't get that... The girl has ALREADY been harmed, simply by being abducted. You don't think that is scary and traumatizing for her, even if she's not being physically harmed? Just like with the drunk driving debate, should people get off just because "nothing happened, no harm done"? No... They should be charged no matter what.

Quote:
and again I reiterate that some of this is cultural, its part of the norm.. you'd have to have a parenting class for all of Europe, and its just a different belief system... not that all of Europe does this, but its not the first story, or the second that we've read like this[/b]
Well, if there's so many stories like this, you'd think they'd have gotten a clue by now that something is wrong here...
May 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Pure Innocence
Neglecting your child is not a cultural norm for Europe, so I don't buy into that one that it may be culturally normal for them.
May 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Culturally the norm? The family is from Britain. We lived in Lancaster, England for a while when I was little - my mother left us with a sitter when she went for dinner - even if it was just downstairs in my uncle's pub. Likewise my cousins, and they were raised their entire life there. Cultural differences don't really apply here. They made a stupid mistake, a dangerous assumption that their children would be ok, likely thinking "what harm can come to them, they are asleep in the hotel room". It could have happened in the US, in Canada, anywhere. You think, "well, my kid is asleep all night long alone in their room at home and they are fine..." and odds are you probably could make a run to the 7-11 without incident - but if anything did happen while you were gone it would be your fault. If you were home asleep in the next room and something happened it wuld be a tragedy - if you had run across the street to the convenience store, it would be a tragedy that might have been averted.
A tragedy nonetheless, and I hope she is recovered soon. As wrong as they were to leave their children unattended they do not deserve and their child does not deserve something like this to happen. No one does.
That reminds me of another thing I don't like. When people say things like "they should suffer the agony of their child going missing, then maybe they will learn to keep an eye on them" - what a cruel thing to say - no parent should ever wish that on another parent no matter how negligent they are!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I think they should be charged. It IS endangerment. If that means jail time and time that the other children are without their parents then I guess I feel that the babies are probably in a safer place anyways. I think an example should be set for those parents as well as other parents who just think its okay to put their BABIES in bed and GO TO THE BAR. Its wrong, and it wouldn't be wrong if things like that didn't happen but they DO, and it DID happen to them. This type of situation is exactly why there are rules and laws about that kind of thing.

</div>
May 7th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Culturally the norm? The family is from Britain. We lived in Lancaster, England for a while when I was little - my mother left us with a sitter when she went for dinner - even if it was just downstairs in my uncle's pub. Likewise my cousins, and they were raised their entire life there. Cultural differences don't really apply here. They made a stupid mistake, a dangerous assumption that their children would be ok, likely thinking "what harm can come to them, they are asleep in the hotel room". It could have happened in the US, in Canada, anywhere. You think, "well, my kid is asleep all night long alone in their room at home and they are fine..." and odds are you probably could make a run to the 7-11 without incident - but if anything did happen while you were gone it would be your fault. If you were home asleep in the next room and something happened it wuld be a tragedy - if you had run across the street to the convenience store, it would be a tragedy that might have been averted.
A tragedy nonetheless, and I hope she is recovered soon. As wrong as they were to leave their children unattended they do not deserve and their child does not deserve something like this to happen. No one does.
That reminds me of another thing I don't like. When people say things like "they should suffer the agony of their child going missing, then maybe they will learn to keep an eye on them" - what a cruel thing to say - no parent should ever wish that on another parent no matter how negligent they are![/b]
I don't think ANYBODY here said that... Certainly not me. I pray their daughter is brought home safe right away. I DO think they should suffer the LEGAL consequences of their actions though. That is an entirely different thing...
May 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I never said it was ok for the culture to do this guys! Never! I'm just pointing out that its much more common.

May 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
Quote:
ETA: I know they were periodically checking on the child, but every 30 minutes?! Anything could happen to that child in thirty minutes.[/b]
yeah, like a child could be stolen!

i said yes and yes, cause not only child endangerment but also neglectL

from this site:
http://www.childwelfare.gov/can/defining/federal.cfm

Quote:
Definitions in Federal Law

Federal legislation provides a foundation for States by identifying a minimum set of acts or behaviors that define child abuse and neglect. The Federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) (42 U.S.C.A. §5106g), as amended by the Keeping Children and Families Safe Act of 2003, defines child abuse and neglect as, at minimum:

Any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation; or

An act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm.

This definition of child abuse and neglect refers specifically to parents and other caregivers. A "child" under this definition generally means a person who is under the age of 18 or who is not an emancipated minor.[/b]
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
May 7th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I posted the child endangerment on Page 1 (I think its page 1) and it fits

May 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
That reminds me of another thing I don't like. When people say things like "they should suffer the agony of their child going missing, then maybe they will learn to keep an eye on them" - what a cruel thing to say - no parent should ever wish that on another parent no matter how negligent they are![/b]
I don't think ANYBODY here said that... Certainly not me. I pray their daughter is brought home safe right away. I DO think they should suffer the LEGAL consequences of their actions though. That is an entirely different thing...
[/b]
I don't think she was saying anyone here said that, I think she was just adding that in from her own pet peeves on this.

Quote:
I never said it was ok for the culture to do this guys! Never! I'm just pointing out that its much more common.[/b]
Oh I wasn't saying you were saying that I was just commenting on it
May 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM
oooh ok cool!

May 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Pure Innocence
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Do you think we are a bunch of sick people to be saying these parents are irresponsible for doing this?! Does ANYONE here agree with what the parents did?!?

I CANNOT wrap my mind around DEFENDING these idiots!
May 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
what are you talking about? Where are you getting that?

May 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Pure Innocence
not from here, just a little vent from pm's....

Do you think since the parents are going through a tough time it makes us all a bunch of ####### to call them out on their foolishness?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search