50 Yards Away

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Shoudl the parents be charged with some other offense?
Yes 15 39.47%
No 18 47.37%
Other (please explain) 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well they still committed child neglect, and most likely their child would not be taken today if it wasnt for their negligence.. They probably aren't going to read this and we arent the only people on the planet saying this. My hearts go out to them, but that doesnt mean I'm not also angry that their actions may either scar a girl for life, or kill her.

May 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Quote:
not from here, just a little vent from pm's....

Do you think since the parents are going through a tough time it makes us all a bunch of ####### to call them out on their foolishness?[/b]

Someone PMd you to complain about this thread and what we are saying?

Well, to those people let me just say:

Yes, what has happened to this little girl is a terrible tragedy. But GUESS WHAT? Had the children not been left without the proper supervision then WHERE do you think that little girl would be right now?

We have some neighbors who lost a three year old to drowning. Do you know why? Because the parents were in their bedroom with the door closed while they assumed their child was happily watching television.

Unsupervised children are usually not in imminent danger. Most parents don't leave their children without supervision for a moment or two.

But it ONLY TAKES ONE MINUTE.

These parents are suffering horribly, no doubt, for their neglect.

Guess who's suffering more? Guess who I feel the MOST sympathy for?

Not the parents. I feel the most sympathy for a little 3 year old girl who went to sleep safe in the knowledge that her parents were right there - probably happy and secure - who woke up to a nightmare of a stranger doing who knows what to her.

THAT is who I fell the most sympathy for.

She's probably asking herself where her parents are (assuming, and I'm hoping, that she's still able to ask) and you know what? They were too busy hobnobbing in the bar with their colleagues.

I feel for their pain, but I MOST sympathize with the girl.
[/b]

Why is someone discussing this over PM? If you have something to say on the matter say it right here.

May 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
not from here, just a little vent from pm's....

Do you think since the parents are going through a tough time it makes us all a bunch of ###### to call them out on their foolishness?[/b]

Someone PMd you to complain about this thread and what we are saying?

Well, to those people let me just say:

Yes, what has happened to this little girl is a terrible tragedy. But GUESS WHAT? Had the children not been left without the proper supervision then WHERE do you think that little girl would be right now?

We have some neighbors who lost a three year old to drowning. Do you know why? Because the parents were in their bedroom with the door closed while they assumed their child was happily watching television.

Unsupervised children are usually not in imminent danger. Most parents don't leave their children without supervision for a moment or two.

But it ONLY TAKES ONE MINUTE.

These parents are suffering horribly, no doubt, for their neglect.

Guess who's suffering more? Guess who I feel the MOST sympathy for?

Not the parents. I feel the most sympathy for a little 3 year old girl who went to sleep safe in the knowledge that her parents were right there - probably happy and secure - who woke up to a nightmare of a stranger doing who knows what to her.

THAT is who I fell the most sympathy for.

She's probably asking herself where her parents are (assuming, and I'm hoping, that she's still able to ask) and you know what? They were too busy hobnobbing in the bar with their colleagues.

I feel for their pain, but I MOST sympathize with the girl.
[/b]
I completely agree. And no, no one PM'd me from here, I pm'ed someone from my religious board.
May 8th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Cavenaugh why did someone just PM you? That doesnt make alot of sense! We all are saying this stuff!

May 8th, 2007, 05:06 PM
oh ok!

May 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Do you think since the parents are going through a tough time it makes us all a bunch of ###### to call them out on their foolishness?[/b]

Umm, nope. I don't feel bad. My heart breaks for what they are going through but let's face it, it never would have happened had they not neglected thier children!

And anyways, they are not reading this board, they have better things to do right now then worry about what a bunch of mommies on a website are saying about them.

...and remember, they have a vacation to get back to!! (ok, that was a little #####-ish)

May 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, it's funny... i WAS called heartless and compassionless on another board over this same debate. So yes, some people DO think we're all ####### for feeling the parents put themselves in this situation. *Shrugs* What can you do?
May 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Well please pull this thread up the next time someone gets on here and whines that we are all too sensitive and titty babies! Apparently we aren't that sensitive!

May 8th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well please pull this thread up the next time someone gets on here and whines that we are all too sensitive and titty babies! Apparently we aren't that sensitive![/b]
May 9th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What if mom puts a child in a playpen out of harm's way so mom can take a shower for five-ten minutes? Is that neligence? If mom is in the shower she can't see or hear the child.

Or what about putting a child in a playpen and going to the mailbox (a one-minute walk). Again, no one can hear or see the child.

Or, mom is in the next room watching tv and the child is asleep. The tv is loud, she can't see or hear the child.

Are all of these neglect?

May 9th, 2007, 06:40 AM
donomama
Quote:
What if mom puts a child in a playpen out of harm's way so mom can take a shower for five-ten minutes? Is that neligence? If mom is in the shower she can't see or hear the child.

Or what about putting a child in a playpen and going to the mailbox (a one-minute walk). Again, no one can hear or see the child.

Or, mom is in the next room watching tv and the child is asleep. The tv is loud, she can't see or hear the child.

Are all of these neglect?[/b]

Being in the next room is waaaay different than being the equivalent of 1/2 a football field away from your child, outside of the apartment, in a completely different building. You can't possibly keep your eyes on your baby 24/7, and I don't think anyone is saying you have to, but what these parents did just seems like they have no common sense.
May 9th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:

Taking a shower in the next room and going out to eat at a restaraunt are two very different things. I take a shower when DS is napping and I have the baby monitor so I can respond if he gets upset. The mailbox is about 10 houses away and I would never leave my children unsupervised to go get the mail. Otherwise, I am always within ears shot of my children's voices or the baby monitor.

There is just no way around this, IMO. These parent's were negligent and their poor daughter is having to pay a pretty steep price for their selfishness.

May 9th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:

Being in the next room is waaaay different than being the equivalent of 1/2 a football field away from your child, outside of the apartment, in a completely different building. You can't possibly keep your eyes on your baby 24/7, and I don't think anyone is saying you have to, but what these parents did just seems like they have no common sense.
[/b]

Quote:
Quote:

Taking a shower in the next room and going out to eat at a restaraunt are two very different things. I take a shower when DS is napping and I have the baby monitor so I can respond if he gets upset. The mailbox is about 10 houses away and I would never leave my children unsupervised to go get the mail. Otherwise, I am always within ears shot of my children's voices or the baby monitor.

There is just no way around this, IMO. These parent's were negligent and their poor daughter is having to pay a pretty steep price for their selfishness.
[/b]
I agree with both of you. Our mailbox is about a two minute walk from our door and I'd never even THINK of checking the mail while the girls are asleep. We don't use the laundry center here, we have a washer and dryer, but if we did...it's RIGHT across from our door...but it's a different building, I'd NEVER dream of checking on the laundry real quick.
I'll take a bath if the girls are asleep. I'll leave the door open and I'm very quiet so I can hear any noise they make. I won't take a shower because I can't hear them. One is that you HAVE the chance to hear it and stop something from happening, the other (being in a restaurant) there is NO chance of possibly saving your child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search