50 Yards Away

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Shoudl the parents be charged with some other offense?
Yes 15 39.47%
No 18 47.37%
Other (please explain) 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Pure Innocence
I understand the other thread is a support thread, so I'm starting a different thread as the debate thread for the awful situation with that little girl.

How far away is 50 yards. I know the math and feet, but like...what is an example of that far away? Should the parents hold some kind of responsibility for what happened?
May 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I voted yes and no, but I have a feeling I may change my opinion later on. I think it was irresposible at best for them to leave a sleeping child in a hotel room in a foreign country, even though they were offered babysitting services by the hotel. I do think they should be charged but I also feel that having their child abducted is punishment enough for that mistake So I'm on the fence here.

ETA: I know they were periodically checking on the child, but every 30 minutes?! Anything could happen to that child in thirty minutes.
May 7th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I saw no mention of 50 yards in the article, it said they went to a nearby restaraunt. However, if the restaraunt was 50 yards, 5 miles or in the room next door, there is no excuse to leave 3 children under the age of 3 unsupervised. The parents hold some responsibility for their child's abduction, IMO. My daughter is about to be 6 years old and I won't leave her unsupervised to walk to the mailbox, much less go to a restaraunt.

May 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
IMO, children of that age shouldn't be left unsupervised for that long.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 7th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I saw no mention of 50 yards in the article, it said they went to a nearby restaraunt. However, if the restaraunt was 50 yards, 5 miles or in the room next door, there is no excuse to leave 3 children under the age of 3 unsupervised. The parents hold some responsibility for their child's abduction, IMO. My daughter is about to be 6 years old and I won't leave her unsupervised to walk to the mailbox, much less go to a restaraunt.[/b]
The story is from Europe, and Ellie is from Europe, so I'm assuming that maybe she saw the 50 yards thing on the news and it just wasn't published in the article? I could be wrong though.
May 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is another article.. it says 40 yards

Quote:
"The McCanns, who had been enjoying a Ł1,600 week-long break with nine other doctor friends, were dining at a tapas bar 40 yards from their apartment and were checking the children every half hour.[/b]
http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=f...-name_page.html

they think a sex offender has her

Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
there is no excuse to leave 3 children under the age of 3 unsupervised. The parents hold some responsibility for their child's abduction, IMO.[/b]

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml
that link has an actual picture overhead of the complex where they were staying

May 7th, 2007, 06:37 AM
donomama
40 yards is nearly 1/2 the length of a football field, and 30 minutes is a VERY long time. Anything can happen in 30 minutes. I would never leave my kids that far away for 30 seconds!
May 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM
of course the US is different, but our Child Endangerment laws include this typically
Quote:
What are Child Endangerment Laws?
Child Endangerment laws make it a crime to endanger the health or life of a child through an adult’s recklessness or indifference. Some states include child endangerment offenses in existing child abuse statutes. Other states made child endangerment a separate offense.

What are Examples of Child Endangerment?
The states differ as to what constitutes child endangerment, but some common examples include:

* Leaving a child unattended in a motor vehicle
* Driving while intoxicated with a child in the motor vehicle
* Hiring a person with a known history of sexual offenses as a childcare provider
* Serving alcohol to an underage driver
* Leaving a young child unsupervised or in the care of another young child
* Unreasonable corporal punishment resulting in bodily injury
* Drug manufacturing in the presence of a child
* Leaving a young child unsupervised in an unsafe area
* Failure to report suspected child abuse[/b]
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/arti...rment-laws.html

May 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
donomama
As far as the poll questions, I answered "other" for both questions because I just don't know. I'm sure the parents feel incredible guilt, but I guess something should be done. It's just a horrible situation all around.
May 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Leaving a child unsupervised constitutes endangerment

May 7th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml
that link has an actual picture overhead of the complex where they were staying[/b]

omg, now I feel even worse! That seems so far away! I was picturing in my mind (and hoping) that maybe it was an outdoor restaurant, where they could sit at a table facing the door to thier room so they could still see it?

May 7th, 2007, 06:47 AM
i agree, it looks pretty far away

May 7th, 2007, 07:11 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose other because honestly, I just don't know. I think that it was wrong of them to leave their children alone for that long of a time and at that distance. I know that the farthest I will go from my daughter is the living room from her bedroom.... her safety is the utmost importance to me, and I have no idea why these parents didn't take advantage of the babysitting service the hotel offered.

May 7th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I just fail to see the relevance in the measure of distance between the hotel room, the children and the parents. The only thing the story should read is "paren't leave young children unsupervised and 3 year old is missing". How far away the restaraunt was does not matter, they left 3 children, the oldest a 3 year old ALONE! For children that age you should never be outside a distance where the children can be clearly heard and reached. Anything can happen! The children could have woken up and been scared, they could have gotten into something and hurt themselves, they could have fallen off the bed, or they worst case scenario which did happen! 40 yards? Well, they might as well have been in a different country. They left their children unsupervised and therefore failed to protect them.

May 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM
^ totally agree

However I do think part of this is cultural in thinking this practice is ok. In other European countries, I remember the story of parents who leave the children in their buggies outside the restaurants while they go inside and eat...

May 7th, 2007, 07:27 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
^ totally agree

However I do think part of this is cultural in thinking this practice is ok. In other European countries, I remember the story of parents who leave the children in their buggies outside the restaurants while they go inside and eat...[/b]
Oh I remember that debate! I still don't get that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search