What is Feminism?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Pure Innocence
How do you describe feminism? What does it mean to you?
May 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
To me feminism means you support a woman's right to make her own choices about what she wants to be, whether or not she wants to work, whether or not she wants to have children, etc. So that women are not pigeonholed into doing things that go against who they want to be just for the sake of "society".

It's about choices and freedom to find out who you are.

May 7th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
How do you describe feminism? What does it mean to you?[/b]
I come from a family where the female choices were/are very limited. I gravitated to feminism seeing there is a voice out there of other women who were also limited. To me, feminism isn't about more rights to females, it's giving the same rights that males enjoy. Also, after seeing incorrect female stereotypes that cause discrimination, it's easy to see where there are many incorrect male stereotypes that do the same. In the end it's about gender equality and respect for each.
May 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Quote:
To me, feminism isn't about more rights to females, it's giving the same rights that males enjoy. Also, after seeing incorrect female stereotypes that cause discrimination, it's easy to see where there are many incorrect male stereotypes that do the same. In the end it's about gender equality and respect for each.[/b]
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP and starting formulating my own response. It isn't so much about women being seen as better than anyone, giving them extra privileges and rights, but simply bringing both sexes onto the same playing field. It allows for women and men to make their own choices about how they live their life without trying to place them into any stereotypes.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 7th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To me, feminism is valuing a woman and her unique capacities and roles. I believe a woman should be appreciated because of who she is and what she can do as a woman, rather than because she can do what a man can.
A good example is the movie "G.I. Jane", I don't know if everyone saw it. There's one scene where Demi Moore is trying to gain her colleague's respect, but she can't because she's a woman. The only way she finally gets that respect is by kicking another soldier's butt and telling him "suck my you-know-what" (the actual word would be edited, anyway ). IMO, this is the compete opposite of feminism. It's masculinism because it's saying that the only way a woman can get some respect is by acting like a man. How sad is that? And how far from giving any value to women.
That's also why I called that woman from the SAHM responsibility thread a sorry excuse for a feminist. She took the role that's traditionally female and instead of educating people into learning the value of that role and how much that role should be admired and respected, she demeaned it even more to glorify the traditional masculine role and again told us that the only way to be valued is to hide our feminity and try to be like men.
Women should be able to choose to do whatever they want because of themselves, not because there's only one way they can get respect.

Sharon
May 7th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
To me, feminism is valuing a woman and her unique capacities and roles. I believe a woman should be appreciated because of who she is and what she can do as a woman, rather than because she can do what a man can.
A good example is the movie "G.I. Jane", I don't know if everyone saw it. There's one scene where Demi Moore is trying to gain her colleague's respect, but she can't because she's a woman. The only way she finally gets that respect is by kicking another soldier's butt and telling him "suck my you-know-what" (the actual word would be edited, anyway ). IMO, this is the compete opposite of feminism. It's masculinism because it's saying that the only way a woman can get some respect is by acting like a man. How sad is that? And how far from giving any value to women.
That's also why I called that woman from the SAHM responsibility thread a sorry excuse for a feminist. She took the role that's traditionally female and instead of educating people into learning the value of that role and how much that role should be admired and respected, she demeaned it even more to glorify the traditional masculine role and again told us that the only way to be valued is to hide our feminity and try to be like men.
Women should be able to choose to do whatever they want because of themselves, not because there's only one way they can get respect.

Sharon[/b]
PERFECTLY stated. Men and women are different... denying that is just stupid. But their WORTH is the same, and their RIGHTS should be the same, and they should both be RESPECTED for who they are. There should be a level playing field, where neither is treated as better, or more important than the other. We need both men and women in this world... both sexes have valuable qualities unique to their gender. To me, feminism is about recognizing that, and bringing women up to that level of respect that historically they haven't had in this country.
May 7th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Ms.Michelle
It's not about a difference in the sexes though.. It's embracing individuality in it's entirity. Not everyone is going to want to be a SAHP, a make-up and hair person while some non-stereotypical people will be.
May 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

Sharon[/b]
PERFECTLY stated. Men and women are different... denying that is just stupid. But their WORTH is the same, and their RIGHTS should be the same, and they should both be RESPECTED for who they are. There should be a level playing field, where neither is treated as better, or more important than the other. We need both men and women in this world... both sexes have valuable qualities unique to their gender. To me, feminism is about recognizing that, and bringing women up to that level of respect that historically they haven't had in this country.
[/b]
Oh gee, how surprising... we agree!!!

Sharon
May 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
It's not about a difference in the sexes though.. It's embracing individuality in it's entirity. Not everyone is going to want to be a SAHP, a make-up and hair person while some non-stereotypical people will be.[/b]
You're right... I'm not saying ALL women and men are the same. But regardless, there ARE inherent differences for the most part. Doesn't make those wrong or better or worse... But i do agree with what you're saying.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sharon[/b]
[/b]
Oh gee, how surprising... we agree!!!

Sharon
[/b]
May 7th, 2007, 11:13 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard it stated that first-wave feminism was about breaking the bonds of traditional female roles that really did oppress women, and limited their choices. Women were trapped by our biology, being defined basically by our vaginas and breasts: as sex partners, child-bearers and child-caretakers. Women didn't have much of a choice but to do "women's work" and thus the first wave of feminism necessarily devalued (further) these traditionally female roles.

The second wave of feminism was about proving that women could do what men could do, in order to justify us taking over traditional male roles such as employee, boss, provider, and rule-maker. This is where the completely outdated stereotype of a feminist as a ball-breaking, man-hating bulldog came from. This stereotype was invented as a backlash against women that were, rightfully, taking some of men's power for their own and threatening the good-old-boys mentality of the workplace, politics, and other male-dominated environments.

The third wave, or what is currently usually referred to as post-feminism, is about re-valuing femininity as including qualities that are uniquely female but also inherently valuable and worthy of respect. This is where you'll find women who state that feminism is about women having ALL choices, whether she sees fit to fulfill more "female" roles or more "male" ones, since all are now open to her.

We know that this is an ideal and not yet a reality, however, I do feel that post-feminism is gaining more momentum and visibility. I feel that valuing femininity as well as masculinity, in BOTH sexes, according to individual traits and preferences, is the end goal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search