Can you smell the lawsuit?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
It turns out that the shooter in the VT shootings had been ordered to treatment in 2005. He never got the treatment and the system never followed to make sure he had received treatment.

Here's a link to the story. http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=...mp;cvqh=itn_cho

So, who is responsible?

May 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Pure Innocence
link doesn't work
May 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
That's weird. I just clicked it again to check and it worked.

May 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Pure Innocence
it's working now...weird, sorry
May 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Pure Innocence
To me, this equates to the Andrea Yates debate. He needs to have serious mental counseling etc etc going on and something needs to be done about that system.
May 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
There's contradictory statements in that article. Supposedly they are to follow up, the guy that is on the board says it's new to him.. I'd really have to know the whole true story to make a completely informed opinion on it... fact is, people fall through the cracks and there is really no way to stop it from happening, sad but true....The system has failed a lot of people, but the system isn't ultimately responsible for the deaths of those students, he is.

May 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Well it seems that we do know for sure that a problem had been recognized in this man before. I think if he was ordered to treatment and it was not completed then the system does hold some responsibility but the majority of the responsibility of course lies with the shooter himself.

How sad that there could have been a way that this might have been prevented.

May 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Well it seems that we do know for sure that a problem had been recognized in this man before. I think if he was ordered to treatment and it was not completed then the system does hold some responsibility.[/b]

I don't disagree with you, it's that I don't feel like I can really get enough information from what has been released to form a full opinion.

IF he was court ordered to specific therapy rather than the court suggested counseling and IF he failed to attend and IF there was no follow up then I agree there is a hole in the system that should be addressed.

But I honestly cannot tell from the story I found if that is an accurate description of what really happened.
[/b]

There are a lot of holes in the story. I hope they get the whole story soon.

May 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah I have wondered about the parents too. However, I don't think they can really be blamed legally at this point because he was an adult.

May 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As far as the school, it is almost impossible to get a court order to keep this guy out of classes, off campus and in counseling.. the point is that even if he got counseling, this might have still happened.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search