Apartments and Loud Dogs or other livestock..

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: If an animal is loud (excessive barking) should the owners have to get rid of the dog/animal?
yes 11 52.38%
no 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Pure Innocence
Ok, should apartment complexes have animals? Should they not be allowed if the animals are loud at night? Should the owners be told to get rid of them in X amount of time? Is this fair or unfair?
May 7th, 2007, 03:03 PM
donomama
Yes, people in apartments should be allowed to have pets. Some people live in apartments their whole lives, it's not fair that they should never have a pet because they don't own their own home. When you lease an apartment, you generally know whether pets are allowed or not in the apartment. As for excessive barking, I think that should be treated like any other excessive noise and not tolerated. My DH's aunt had dogs in her condo that barked nonstop. The condo board gave her 3 choices: move, get rid of the dogs or get their voice boxes removed. She removed their voiceboxes and they have the saddest little noises I have ever heard.
May 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to EmilysMommy04
Quote:
Ok, should apartment complexes have animals? Should they not be allowed if the animals are loud at night? Should the owners be told to get rid of them in X amount of time? Is this fair or unfair?[/b]

yes they should be allowed to have the pets. But if the dog is barking at night throughout the night then thats another story. Destructive dogs shouldnt be allowed.

May 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just moved from an apartment that allowed animals. I do think people who live in apartments should be able to have pets if they are allowed by the complex and they pay the proper fees. When I first was looking for an apartment many do not allow pets which didn't matter to me, because we don't have any. Where I chose to live allowed pets with a fee. I personally didn't have a neighbor with pets, but most had dogs. The only problem was the no liked to clean up after their animals outside. IMO the quality of my apartment and the neigborhood outweighed the animals. Its really up to the person who is chosing to live there if they allow animals then you expect to hear animals.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
May 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I voted yes and yes. This TOTALLY hits a nerve with me, because I live in a condo above people who make a tremendous amount of noise and have a huge dog. I am a total dog lover, don't get me wrong, but I don't like to listen to a dog barking all day and waking up my baby. A few weeks ago, these idiots had some guests who brought 2 extra dogs with them, and I guess they all decided to go to dinner or something and leave the dogs for the night. From 8 pm until after 11, there was no break in the loud barking. Ryleigh couldn't go to sleep in her room or our room because the dogs were in the back rooms. It was enough to make us go down there and bang on the door, only to find that the people weren't home and this just pissed the dogs off more I ended up having to call the police and file a noise complaint to get it to stop. Do you know how dumb I felt calling the cops on a dog?! If the barking becomes excessive, and no other methods have worked to control the dog, then I think out of respect for neighbors, the dog needs to go. Lucky for us, the dog downstairs only barked excessively when the guests' dogs were visiting and it stopped after they left.
May 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I voted yes in apartments (there are plenty of apartments where you can't bring dogs, in fact most of them), and no to making them get rid of the dog. They should have to find a solution to the problem, and that might include getting rid of the dog, but I can't justify throwing a dog into a shelter because of ONE complaint or something like that.
May 7th, 2007, 04:24 PM
~JustAngie~'s Avatar ~Let your colors burst~
Quote:
Yes, people in apartments should be allowed to have pets. Some people live in apartments their whole lives, it's not fair that they should never have a pet because they don't own their own home. When you lease an apartment, you generally know whether pets are allowed or not in the apartment. As for excessive barking, I think that should be treated like any other excessive noise and not tolerated. My DH's aunt had dogs in her condo that barked nonstop. The condo board gave her 3 choices: move, get rid of the dogs or get their voice boxes removed. She removed their voiceboxes and they have the saddest little noises I have ever heard.[/b]
That makes me sad! I can't believe someone would do that to a dog.

If you are going to live in an apartment, the person should be allowed to have a dog - but they should know better than to get certain breeds. There are breeds you can get that don't bark as much as others. But going to ^that extreme? I'd rather move out first.

eta: I voted yes and no.

May 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, people in apartments should be allowed to have pets. Some people live in apartments their whole lives, it's not fair that they should never have a pet because they don't own their own home. When you lease an apartment, you generally know whether pets are allowed or not in the apartment. As for excessive barking, I think that should be treated like any other excessive noise and not tolerated. My DH's aunt had dogs in her condo that barked nonstop. The condo board gave her 3 choices: move, get rid of the dogs or get their voice boxes removed. She removed their voiceboxes and they have the saddest little noises I have ever heard.[/b]
That makes me sad! I can't believe someone would do that to a dog.

If you are going to live in an apartment, the person should be allowed to have a dog - but they should know better than to get certain breeds. There are breeds you can get that don't bark as much as others. But going to ^that extreme? I'd rather move out first.

eta: I voted yes and no.
[/b]
I was thinking the same thing.
May 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I voted yes to both, though i wish you'd included "other" for the second. I don't think the dog should IMMEDIATELY have to go, because i think there are other things owners can try first to rectify the problem. However, if it continues, then i do think it is their responsibility to either re-home the pet, or move. It's just not fair to the other tenants...
May 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
~JustAngie~'s Avatar ~Let your colors burst~
Quote:
I voted yes to both, though i wish you'd included "other" for the second. I don't think the dog should IMMEDIATELY have to go, because i think there are other things owners can try first to rectify the problem. However, if it continues, then i do think it is their responsibility to either re-home the pet, or move. It's just not fair to the other tenants...[/b]
to the bolded. They should have some time to try and see if they can fix it first.

May 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Pure Innocence
^^^ I agree. Sorry for not adding other...
May 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I can understand it both ways. Yeah tenents want the rights to have pets. They should. But I can see the landlords sides also. Him or her wondering will that pet destroy their property. So many won't allow pets in fear of what they might do to their property. By me many landlords charge an extra security deposit to have pets. It's suppose to cover what a pet may do to the rental property. If the pet did not destroy anything when you move. You got that money back. As long as your taking good care of your pets. Not letting them trash out the place etc. Then you should be allowed pets. But those who do not take good care of their pets should be told you have x amount of days to get rid of the pet or be evicted.
May 7th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Eeyore777's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they should allowed dogs in apartment complexes. I do not think a person should have to get rid of the dog because of one complain from one neighbor. I think the person with the dog should have a chance to fix the problem. Also the complain should come from two or more neighbors or the apartment manager has heard the excessive barking/noise.

Personal story, I have a crazy neighbor (home owner) who complains about my lab barking. My lab doesn’t bark often, but because my neighbor hates me, she makes the complaint (Oh did I say she threatened to send her dog over the fence to kill my kids and I called the police? First time I ever called the police on someone). Animal control has been out here about 15 times and has yet to hear the excessive barking, even when they pull into the driveway, walk up to the fence, or drive through the neighborhood behind my house. I have talked to my other neighbors and they have no complaints about the dog, but many about this woman. Another debate!!!!!

If the apartment complex allowed one complaint and the dog is gone then a nasty neighbor could use the dog to get back at someone they dislike.

May 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I can understand it both ways. Yeah tenents want the rights to have pets. They should. But I can see the landlords sides also. Him or her wondering will that pet destroy their property. So many won't allow pets in fear of what they might do to their property. By me many landlords charge an extra security deposit to have pets. It's suppose to cover what a pet may do to the rental property. If the pet did not destroy anything when you move. You got that money back. As long as your taking good care of your pets. Not letting them trash out the place etc. Then you should be allowed pets. But those who do not take good care of their pets should be told you have x amount of days to get rid of the pet or be evicted.[/b]
Oh, i definitely don't think ALL apartments should HAVE to allow dogs. I think how it is now is perfect... some do, some don't. So if you have pets, you have a place to go, and if you don't WANT to live around pets, you ALSO have a place to go. When i answered yes to the first question, i just meant that certainly SOME apartments should allow dogs.
May 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think they should allowed dogs in apartment complexes. I do not think a person should have to get rid of the dog because of one complain from one neighbor. I think the person with the dog should have a chance to fix the problem. Also the complain should come from two or more neighbors or the apartment manager has heard the excessive barking/noise.
Personal story, I have a crazy neighbor (home owner) who complains about my lab barking. My lab doesn’t bark often, but because my neighbor hates me, she makes the complaint (Oh did I say she threatened to send her dog over the fence to kill my kids and I called the police? First time I ever called the police on someone). Animal control has been out here about 15 times and has yet to hear the excessive barking, even when they pull into the driveway, walk up to the fence, or drive through the neighborhood behind my house. I have talked to my other neighbors and they have no complaints about the dog, but many about this woman. Another debate!!!!!

If the apartment complex allowed one complaint and the dog is gone then a nasty neighbor could use the dog to get back at someone they dislike.[/b]
I agree with everything you said because I too have been in a similar situation.
I think more than one person needs to complain, otherwise you could just have a neighbor who hates dogs or hates YOU, and force a perfectly good family out (or their dog, or both).

May 8th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I voted yes, and no.

Dogs should be allowed in apartments and similar house situations. If the dog is being less then desireable resident of the community, then concerns should be brought up with the owner, and if the owner fails to do anything the concern brought up to managment, and given a time frame to correct the problem or get rid of the dog, or move.

Personally, I lived in an apartment. I had no idea my dog barked the way he did until a nieghbor told me. I was verys suprsised, because he never barked or made a peep when we were home. I felt so badly and we got to working on the barking issues. Where we live now, my one dog will bark like mad whenever they hear anything outside the fence [its a 7ft privacy fence so they can't see out], I spoke with a few of my nieghbors I didn't realize how bad the situation was, and now they are crate trained again. I would be very upset, if they went to a managment group first, I'd much rather somebody talk to me directly if they have a problem with my dogs.

ETA - I realise not all pet owners are as nice about these types of situations. So I do understand why concerns may need to go to a managment group first over the individual.
May 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM
mommyKathyX3
I think they should have CERTAIN apt (or a building or a floor) where they allow pets but not all apts. A lot of people have allergies also and that screws things up for them. I remember when i was younger looking for apt. I hated it cause there was some NICE ones out there that I couldnt get cause they allowed cats and so I was having reactions.

For the sound reason, it works the same way kinda. I think people who HAVE a pet are more tollerant of an occasional barking or something. Then if people dont want to be around it, then they are more likely to not have to deal with it.
May 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I like dogs and I have had dogs in the past, but right now we live in a townhouse and the management doesn't allow pets of any shape or form. At first I was kind of sad because I wanted to get a puppy, but now that I think about it I actually like living in a no pets allowed place. There's no barking at night, no poop all over the grass, etc.
I do think it would be unfair to have someone get rid of a pet after one noise complaint.
Also if dogs should be allowed in apartments...I think for some dogs it is unfair to make them live in an apartment. Small dogs are usually fine but I have seen people have labs in a tiny little apartment and I just feel bad for them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search