Napping while your kids are awake

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM
mommyKathyX3
Can you take a nap while your kids are up and awake in the house? If you can, at what age is this acceptable, not acceptable. There has been stories about things happening when the parents are napping and do you feel that its the parents fault or are they being careless allowing the kids to "run free" in the house? I'm torn on this one cause I've been guilty of it on occasion. I'll defend myself later.
May 7th, 2007, 03:52 PM
tevinsangel
I've not been able to nap with my kids at home because 1. they are little sneakypants and they would do Lord knows what to themselves, each other, the dog or the house 2. I get extremely nauseous for some reason if I sleep during the day. That being said, when I was pregnant with DS (my DD was 4 at the time and I would lie on the couch slightly dosing but never really asleep while she played on the floor with her toys next to me.
May 7th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Pure Innocence
I'd never do it. I would never forgive myself if something happened to them and I was passed out on the couch.
May 7th, 2007, 03:59 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I have fallen asleep maybe a couple of times after being up all night with the newborn, and woken in a panic frantically looking around to make sure no harm became my kids while they were usupervised. I would never do it on purpose. I avoid sitting down on the couch or anyhwere I might fall asleep when I am exhausted and alone with them just for this reason.
I don't think it's an acceptable thing to do until your kids are old enough to be left unattended, same as leaving the house IMO.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I've never done it and I wouldn't unless my child was above the age of 10 at least and could be trusted to stay at home alone. I still don't know if I would do it even then.
May 7th, 2007, 05:39 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Well... I DO nap when Eric is awake - it's one of the perks of handing him off to DH for a few hours I would not do it if there was no one around to watch him until he was old enough to be home alone.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
tevinsangel
This isn't going to become a "you're a bad mother because you nap" debate is it?
May 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM
camsmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to admit that I have dosed off when cameron is awake but he was strapped into his swing while i did it... i am really not sure if he could get into any harm... i usually nap while he naps in the swing so napping while he is awake in the swing isn't that bad i don't think... i don't know really.. maybe it isn't the best thing to do but i always wake up to every lil grunt he makes... i think if he was a lil older like crawling or even walking it would be unacceptable... then he could hurt himself...

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"> </MARQUEE></div>
May 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM
lschultz's Avatar Veteran
I try not to but some days I just cant keep myself up...I dose on and off when Im extremely tired but, its usually when ds is wrapped up in a movie or playing quietly. I always make sure the house is locked up and I am easily woken so if he were to open a door I would hear it. Its rare and I dont feel comfortable doing it...its certainly not the best sleep in the world but yes I have done it and probably will. Until dd gives up one of her two naps. I wouldnt sleep with her awake.

Kayden Alaina Brian
May 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never nap while DD is awake unless DH is watching her or my sister is over. I would nap if she were old enough probably not until 9 or 10 though.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
May 7th, 2007, 06:11 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to EmilysMommy04
I do nap at my house . Im anemic and I get tired alot. But my 3 yr old lays down and naps with me while my 5 yr old naps in her room.

May 7th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nap if I'm really tired, but I put a movie on for Raine and have her lie with me on the couch. Quiet time, sometimes she falls asleep too sometimes she just watches her movie. Either way I wake up if she starts to get up. I wouldn't nap with her running around.

Like someone else mentioned, I am also anemic. I also work nights, sometimes without a quick nap, I'd just fall over.

Usually we have quiet time about once a week, more if my irons really low.

</div>
May 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Yes, I nap when my kids are awake- the oldest is 11, the youngest is 3. After a scary episode with a toddler escape artist, I avoided it when the first few kids were real little.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 7th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nap ds plays on the computer while I sleep.

May 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Can you take a nap while your kids are up and awake in the house? If you can, at what age is this acceptable, not acceptable. There has been stories about things happening when the parents are napping and do you feel that its the parents fault or are they being careless allowing the kids to "run free" in the house? I'm torn on this one cause I've been guilty of it on occasion. I'll defend myself later. [/b]
I think ti depends a lot on the kid. David, for example, is a very easy kid. If he's watching a movie or playing around, he'll do that in a pretty safe way. I could take naps while he's awake and I've done so. My sil, for example, has a boy the same age and there's no way she could do that or I dont' know what'll happen. Her son is very hyperactive, he always wants to climb, grab, etc.

Sharon
May 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter is almost 11 months old, but is not very mobile (she crawls, but she hasn't quite figured out how to stand up in her crib) and sometimes I'm still asleep when she wakes up. I feel that she's pretty safe in her crib and there's no danger of anything except perhaps lonliness on her part while I sleep an extra 15-20 minutes. She has toys in her crib (like a mobile and things of that nature), so I don't find it to be that big of a deal.

Also, I think the age when you can really go to sleep and not worry about your kids setting the house on fire is somewhere around 11 or 12. I wouldn't leave them alone to their own devices (unless they were only allowed in certain areas) until they were preteens.

May 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will close my eyes but not pass out. I know what she is doing and half the time she'll be sitting with me. I however have to add, it is VERY rare that I even do that. Just those super PMS days when I am exhausted no matter how much sleep I get.
May 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
donomama
I do it. DD isn't the kind of kid to get into stuff, so I will put her in her room with a pile of books or put on a movie for her. She's right next to my bedroom and I'm not that deep of a sleeper, so I don't worry about it at all. With DS, I can already tell he's not going to be the kind of kid that I can do that with...
May 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made a slight clarification to my post above.

May 7th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Raela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only nap when Luke is napping. The only times I nap when he's awake is when Ben is home and is awake to keep an eye on him. I'm sure when he's older and is mroe awake of himself and his surroundings and is more mature, I'll nap while he's awake, but that won't be for a loooooong time.

Thanks
~*I:Makerinces*~ for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search