Spam ... what is what isnt?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I had the majority of my "Free Bone Marrow Drives Nationwide this Week" deleted. This is very personal to me because Dani was not able to find a perfect match as many out there cannot. In my opinion it is because people do not realize how simple it is and how much benefit there is to doing it. I am not upset, because there is a general rule about what is classified as spam (which I did not realize before this) and I accept that. But what do you classify as spam? Would I have offend people here with the post?
May 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How sad... I agree, if we can have non-debatable support threads here, why can't you also post something that is close to your heart? This obviously wasn't something random... this affects your daughter. Anyway, i agree about the blinkie or siggy suggestion. If you'd like me to make you something to put in your siggy, let me know and i'd be happy to...
May 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I guess that is what confused me because I already cleared it to put about Cord Blood donations and I was thinking that would be the same thing... Here is the info ... If you could make me a siggie that would be awesome but it is only for this week where it is free for all.

This was my post:

Please donate!!!! Now until May 21st is "Thanks Mom Bone Marrow Drive" Bone Marrow Awareness. Free Online!!!!

That means there is no charge to donate. Usually there is a $60 dollar charge. Please go to http://www.marrow.org and see where a drive is near you and donate. You can save someone's life!!!!! If you are choosen as a donor it is an outpatient procedure and very little pain. There are so many little ones and adults that need this.

Here is the exact link to get more info:

http://www.marrow.org/NEWS/Events/Thanks_Mom/index.html
May 7th, 2007, 05:24 PM
That is awesome!!! And to be fair they did not delete all of them. They left the ones in Children's Health and My Dec 05 Playroom. But I wanted to get as many people aware as possible.
May 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry but I think that is NOT SPAM... you are asking for people to donate to save PEOPLE's LIVES... i would donate in a heartbeat but no one could use my blood from what I understand because I have been in Europe... I will look into that... but I think that is not spam and its ridiculous to delete it. Sorry but your daughter needs bone marrow and asking for help from 100,000,000 people is still not enough... so advertising on this site should not be an issue

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
May 7th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Sorry but I think that is NOT SPAM... you are asking for people to donate to save PEOPLE's LIVES... i would donate in a heartbeat but no one could use my blood from what I understand because I have been in Europe... I will look into that... but I think that is not spam and its ridiculous to delete it. Sorry but your daughter needs bone marrow and asking for help from 100,000,000 people is still not enough... so advertising on this site should not be an issue[/b]
Just so you know they will take your sample (cotton swab) and just hold it for a year from when you where overseas. I had to do that with my c-section and dh has to with his tattoo but you will be added to the registry after that wait period is over.
May 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Bad thing is that I will be here for 3 more years... then I am deploying to another country and know I get the malaria treatment... so then again can someone give me some inputs...

May 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I think part of it may have just been the number of them. JM boards are each allowed a maximum of 3 invites/advertisements per week. Perhaps if you approached board hosts instead and asked if they would be willing to mention it on their boards, and mention Dani's situation? You could also send a mod a PM asking what you could do to spread the word.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Okay Kelli, here's what i came up with... I tried to match it with your current siggy as well. If you want something different, or anything changed, please let me know!

May 7th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Erin... that is beautiful... you have a heart of gold... I salute you!

May 7th, 2007, 06:00 PM
That is beautiful!!!! I am adding it now. Thank you so much!!!
May 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Quote:
That is beautiful!!!! I am adding it now. Thank you so much!!![/b]
Oh, no problem! Glad to help...
May 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Perfect!! YAY! And I'm sorry parts of your thread got deleted!

May 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In answer to your general question "what do you classify as spam?", spam is sending identical or nearly identical unsolicited messages to numerous recipients.

I didn't see your post, but I'll explain what I think could be problematic about it. This is an issue that is close to your heart for reasons that I'm sure everyone understands. Consider your audience though. My dad has Parkinson's Disease. Support and awareness of stem cell research is close to my heart. I have met members on JM who have Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, etc. and whose children and extended family members have various ailments as well. Understandably, support and awareness of each of these things are close to these people's hearts. All of JM would be littered with spam for these good causes if we were all permitted to put posts on multiple boards to encourage support and awareness of each one.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
May 7th, 2007, 08:59 PM
donomama
I was going to say what Jacquie did. Although it's a good cause, by definition, it is spam. I don't put it in the same category as the raunchy spam I get in my email, but it's still spam.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search