Do you agree with this?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Veteran
I got this in an Email from a friend. Do you agree with this way of thinking? Why?

Subject: Fw: The Tampa Article

Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of
offending someone-----YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM !!!!

Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we
continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other
countries that came to live in America because it is the Country of
Choice??????

Think about it!

All we have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS?

I celebrate Christmas...........but because it isn't celebrated by
everyone..............we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it
has to be Season's Greetings.

It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how
this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?

We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend
anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a
problem with that. This says it all!

This is an editorial written by an
American citizen, published in a
Tampa newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT AMERICANS,
MUST ADAPT.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist
attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge
in patriotism by the majority
of Americans. However...... the dust from the attacks had
barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began
complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending
others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone
who is seeking a better life by coming to ! America. Our population
is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However,
there
are a few things that those
who have recently come to
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.
This idea of America being a
multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity.
As Americans...... we have our own culture, our
own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture
has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and
victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese,
Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to
become part
of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian,
right wing, political slogan.. We adopted this motto because
Christian men and women.......on Christian principles.............
founded this nation..... and this is clearly documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it
on the walls of our schools.
If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the
world as your new home.........because
God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or
you don't like Uncle Sam, then you
should seriously consider a move
to another part of this planet.
We
are happy with our culture and have
no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where
you came from.
This is
OUR COUNTRY,
our land, and our lifestyle.
Our First Amendment gives every citizen the
right to express his opinion and we
will allow you every opportunity to do so!
But once you are done complaining....... whining...... and
griping....... about our flag....... our pledge...... our national
motto........or our
way of life....I highly encourage you to
take advantage of one other Great American Freedom.......

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
Cadence~ 1/11/2007 2lbs 3ozs 13"

May 7th, 2007, 07:09 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Nope, for the most part I don't agree. I am supposed to be studying for finals so I'll be back to elaborate later on
May 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Pure Innocence
I need about 10,000 buckets of popcorn.
May 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I need about 10,000 buckets of popcorn.[/b]

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!!

May 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok I"ll get to popping!

May 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I just got this same email not too long ago. I do agree with it. This country is made up of people who came here from all different countries. Those people had to learn and adapt to the way of life here. We had a very large population of Italians and Irish. We didn't go around posting every sign in English, Italian, and Irish (I know that isn't correct but I can't think of the proper word at the moment).

I love the fact that this country is made up of so many cultures but I think we are all a part of an American culture and that is something that shouldn't be lost.

May 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Pure Innocence
I think everyones mind is spinning to comment on this yet. LOL!!!
May 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I will not agree with the contents of any e-mail that says I have to forward this to everybody I know otherwise I am not a real American/Christian/Human/Whatever simply as a matter of principle.

That said, I'm VERY interested to hear the above-promised elaboration!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 7th, 2007, 07:22 PM
The problem is that there are elements of this that I agree with, but its totally how its packaged. I do believe we should adopt English and have said that multiple times in other debates, however the packaging and the idea of the email isnt something I agree with

May 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Geez doesn't anyone else have anything to say about this?

I agree with some points of it. Think about it...if you picked up and moved to..let's say France. Do you think they'd bend over backward to make sure you could read and understand everything?

Yes, we need to all be tolerant of others but at the same time there doesn't seem to be a way to make everyone happy all of the time. It's getting to the point where no matter what you say someone is offended.

I don't understand why someone would come here with no intention to learn English but yet expect me to find a way to communicate with them.

May 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
The problem is that there are elements of this that I agree with, but its totally how its packaged. I do believe we should adopt English and have said that multiple times in other debates, however the packaging and the idea of the email isnt something I agree with[/b]
Ditto
I think I agree with parts of it. The issue of language, for instance, is something that I agree with. There's no reason why my grandparents had to learn English 70 years ago when they came to this country (from France and Italy) and why immigrants (legal or not) nowadays don't seem to be required to do that. This isn't to say that it's wrong to be an immigrant and that they don't need more time to learn English. Certainly, help them learn English.

I don't know that I agree with the rest of the article, though.

Now we're getting somewhere!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM
threadjacking for a minute...Jhmomofmany..I LOVE your politics blinkie! That is one of the best ones I have ever seen

May 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Quote:
threadjacking for a minute...Jhmomofmany..I LOVE your politics blinkie! That is one of the best ones I have ever seen[/b]
LOL! Thanks. It perfectly sums up my political position.

May 7th, 2007, 07:33 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
The problem is that there are elements of this that I agree with, but its totally how its packaged. I do believe we should adopt English and have said that multiple times in other debates, however the packaging and the idea of the email isnt something I agree with[/b]
I agree with the part of the e-mail about using English as our official language. I'm not that passionate about it, and it certainly doesn't bother me that street signs in areas that are more predominantly Hispanic have Spanish on their street signs (such as Miami), but I do think that all citizens should speak English. But, I think what many fail to realize is that all Americans are descendents of immigrants unless any of us here are full-blooded American Indian. I feel like this e-mail, although it acknowledged that point, is implying that those who have immigrated (legally) more recently should not be entitled to an opinion, and must simply "adapt" to the way things are done with no question. That is what I do not agree with, because if they have immigrated legally, this is as much their country as it is ours (I know, I said they and us, but bear with me I can't think of a better way to say it), and they are entitled to an opinion.

I have more to say but I think my brain is officially fried from studying for finals I'll be waiting with Jiffy Pop to see how this turns out
May 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow... I agree with learning english. I agree with being allowed to say "Christmas". I think that's about it... Even the stuff i DO agree with, i have to agree with Lauren, it was packaged very poorly, and is quite off-putting. I hate the whole "if you don't like it, LEAVE" attitude. I hate the whole "there is only one way, the right way, and if you disagree, you're WRONG" attitude. Ugh... Yeah. Those are my immediate thoughts. Let me go grab some popcorn, and i'll probably be back.
May 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with the part of the e-mail about using English as our official language. I'm not that passionate about it, and it certainly doesn't bother me that street signs in areas that are more predominantly Hispanic have Spanish on their street signs (such as Miami), but I do think that all citizens should speak English. But, I think what many fail to realize is that all Americans are descendents of immigrants unless any of us here are full-blooded American Indian. I feel like this e-mail, although it acknowledged that point, is implying that those who have immigrated (legally) more recently should not be entitled to an opinion, and must simply "adapt" to the way things are done with no question. That is what I do not agree with, because if they have immigrated legally, this is as much their country as it is ours (I know, I said they and us, but bear with me I can't think of a better way to say it), and they are entitled to an opinion.

I have more to say but I think my brain is officially fried from studying for finals I'll be waiting with Jiffy Pop to see how this turns out
[/b]
Our ancestors are immigrants, NOT us. This country was founded on immigrants and then generation after generation were citizens.
May 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I agree its the all or nothing attitude that turns me off, and to ME at least, is un-American in the sense that we've been the nation that takes in the poor, the meak and the huddled masses...or at least we used to be. I"m still ok with that, and those previous generations assimilated well and became part of this culture and we became a new culture.. I dont like an all or nothing type of stance

May 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

That's what I think too! I don't think we should try and impact their religious beliefs, because though I am a Christian, I don't try to force my beliefs on anyone else (except maybe here in the debate boards.... lol... j/k!!). I don't think I'd ever be guilty of saying that a certain person should have to ignore their heritage or ethnicity to just "fit in" but I do think that they should be required to learn some English... enough to be able to do everyday things, such as speaking with a landlord, going to the bank, going grocery shopping. KWIM?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search