Foreign Exchange Students

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
donomama
Would you ever consider hosting a foreign exchange student for the school year? How about sending your child to be a foreign exchange student in another country for a school year?
May 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Would you ever consider hosting a foreign exchange student for the school year? How about sending your child to be a foreign exchange student in another country for a school year?[/b]
Hm...probably not because we are very private ppl and get very uncomfortable and nervous around ppl we don't know. And I'd NEVER send my child to a different country for a whole year without me. If I had bukoo bucks then I'd be willing to relocate my family or go WITH my child for an entire year just to study abroad, but there is no way in hell my child is going to a different country without me.
May 8th, 2007, 08:26 AM
mommyKathyX3
I'd LOVE to have a teen (high school age) spend a semester with us. I would also consider sending my TEEN to SOME other countries (it really depends) for a semester, but not for the whole year probably. I think its an awesome experience!
May 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Would you ever consider hosting a foreign exchange student for the school year? How about sending your child to be a foreign exchange student in another country for a school year?[/b]
I would probably consider it if I had the resources (ie. extra room, finances, etc.), As for my child, for a whole year No. For a school year I would consider it, depending where they were going and what age they were.

May 8th, 2007, 08:42 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I can't see myself taking in a foreign exchange student... We're pretty private people when it comes to our home, I don't think I'd be very comfortable with that. However, I would be willing to send my teen on a foreign exchange depending on the circumstances (length, country, etc); I think it would be an incredible, once in a lifetime experience.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I would send a teenager to be a foreign exchange student. I think it would be a great experience, especially to learn a different language.
May 8th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure about sending her away. I want to say no as an overprotective mom and yes as a mom who wants to give her daughter the best out of life. I don't think I would have a problem sharing my home with an exchange student though. I don't know why they would want to come to Indiana but I would love to show them the sites! I also don't know about having them an entire year.....maybe a semester or so.
May 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Katzchen
I would host a student or send my child (if they are mature enough) in a heartbeat!

I went to Costa Rica with Rotary International my senior year in high school since I already had the needed credits to graduate, and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I was really sheltered and very shy before I went and came back with a whole new perspective on the world. I think I did much better in college because of my experience abroad.
May 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
The year after I graduated from high school my family took in a foreign exchange student from Brazil. His brother came and stayed with us for a while too. It was a great experience for all of us.

They had a bit of culture shock when they came here. Most of Brazil is either very poor or very rich, there isn't much of a middle class. They were very, very rich! They, even though they were teenagers, still had their clothes picked out for them by a maid in the morning.

I would definitely take one in someday, if I ever get a bigger house!

I'm not sure I would want my kid away for that long but I might consider it for a few weeks.

May 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
donomama
Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't want to do either. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a teenager coming to live in the same house as my children - it would be a complete stranger. I just don't think it is that safe. As for sending my kids, same thing. I wouldn't feel comfortable with them living with strangers that I don't know - in their house. I would feel much more comfortable with a study abroad situation in college or something, where they go and stay in dorms with other kids from their same university.
May 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I am too much of a worry wart to send them away for a year. I would probably drive myself and them nuts calling all the time to make sure all is well.

We do not have a big enough house to be able to support another person nor is life calm enough at the moment to even consider it. If circumstances where right though I would not have an issue with hosting a student.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search