At what age to kids start school in your country?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was just on the potty training thread and I realised (from most of your awnsers) that your kids arent in school by the age of 3?
I was wondering what you thought of how things are here and what age your kids have to start school.Im talking about real school here,not kindergarden
Here,our kids have to start school (by law) at the age of 3 years old.But depending on what month the child was born in,some kids are alot younger than 3.
When my son started school,I imagined he´d have a little ruck sack for his lunch,and that they would play or draw etc,so when I had to pay $300 for his books and saw what they were like and how heavy they were..I was horrified!
At 3 years old,our kids have to carry their lunch,their books,do homework and they have to be 100% potty trained,and know how to dress them selfs because they have to shower on their own after gym class.
I used to make up all kinds of exuses so that my son didnt have to shower alone at that age..I was horrified..and one day,when I flat out refused,they told me that they wouldent let him play if he didnt shower
With my daughter it was the same,I feel like Iv missed out on so much of their babyness because they are forced to look after them selfs at such a young age .I dont know,I just feel that here,they expect way to much from little kids,and I have often wondered if things are the same in other countries.
I actually took a picture of my daughters first day (I made a special page for her scrap book out of it):

Its in Spanish (obviously).Mi primer dia de cole means My first day of school.
Look at how tiny she is! (my son is with her in the other picture.Hes 5 there).In the plastic bag she is carrying her new books,and in her back pack is her lunch and her gym shoes.
At what age do kids start school everywhere else?

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Wow 3 just seems way too young. I guess it is just all what you get used to. I live in the U.S in New Jersey. Here kids don't start Kindergarten until they are 5. Sometimes it isn't even full day. Some kindergartens are only half day. We also have preschool here for the year before kindergarten but it isn't mandatory.

May 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
3 seems young to me too. I am in Canada, and in this city, kids go to kindergarten for a half day at 5 years old. You can put them in pre-school as early as 3, but pre-school is typically less than half a day and usually only 2-3 days a week.

At 6, they start doing a full day at school where they bring their lunches, etc., but as far as I know, they still aren't expected to shower on their own at that point.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
May 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Here kids don't start Kindergarten until they are 5. Sometimes it isn't even full day. Some kindergartens are only half day. We also have preschool here for the year before kindergarten but it isn't mandatory.[/b]

Quote:
3 seems young to me too. I am in Canada, and in this city, kids go to kindergarten for a half day at 5 years old. You can put them in pre-school as early as 3, but pre-school is typically less than half a day and usually only 2-3 days a week.

At 6, they start doing a full day at school where they bring their lunches, etc., but as far as I know, they still aren't expected to shower on their own at that point.[/b]
Wow..you are lucky! Our kids do a full day of school by the age of 3 Thats 9 till 3:30 and if they miss a day or two,you get a phone call demanding an explination (if they are sick,you need a doctor to sign a letter).
It seems strange to hear that kids in other countries dont start real school until the age of 6.My kids were doing homework at the ages of 3 I hated taking my kids into school at 3 years old.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
DD started kindergarten right after she turned 5, and it is a full day of school 845-345, M-F. She was also in preschool at the age of 4 but that was only for 2 1/2 hours a day. I can't imagine at 3 years old! That just seems too young.

May 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
donomama
Wow! That seems way too young to me. We have full day kindergarten where I live, which is why I'm putting DD in a private kindergarten. I think 5 is too young to go 8 hours a day. 3?!?!?! That is definitely too young to go all day everyday. Here, people generally put their 2 1/2 and 3 year olds in preschool. I started DD at 3, but it is only a couple days a week, and isn't very academic. It's more singing, playing and developing social skills.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons the US is falling behind with their education? Gina, how old is the average kid when they learn to read?
May 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Pure Innocence
That is too much responsibility for a 3 year old CHILD.
May 8th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally started Montesorri at 3, and went full day, 5 days a week, and alot of Montessori's are like that. We plan on doing the same (and Montessori was formed in Italy so I"m not surprised that their ideas on school and age are similar to Spain). They also treat children much like adults, refusing to use plastic items, but clay pots and pitchers, and glasses, and real forks knives and plates. I remember helping make lunch every day, and being held responsible for cleaning my things and my area. It seems young, but we weren't forced to do anything that we werent ready to do, and I think kids are capable of more than we are aware of. I also skipped a grade when I got to public school because I was so advanced due to Montessori. I learned cursive writing at age 3 and never really learned to print, so second grade was a big bore!

May 8th, 2007, 04:46 PM
mommyKathyX3
I think 3 yrs old is too young for that kind of responsibility. I think at 3 you should be working with kids at home some, but I seriously would do homeschooling if that was the case in america. i think sometimes 5 is too young!
May 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
3 is way to young for a full day of school, and to know how to shower on their on, in my opinion. I'm sure it's possible for them to do it but why force them to grow up so fast.

May 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
because for some its not forcing them to grow up, its just part of how their culture raises and views children.. its just part of child development to them

for 3 to be too young is still just an opinion, and doesnt mean its too young for everyone

May 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is SO young! I am homeschooling my kids anyway, even here in the US, and would definitely- if the law permits- homeschool them if I lived in Spain. I feel that 5 is often too young for so much structure. There are a lot of parents already where I live who put their kids in preschool at age 3 and expect that I should too. WAY too young in my opinion. There is a lot to be said for the unstructured learning and for a kid being able to play and be a kid. "School", especially government public school is not the only way to learn and IMO not even the best way either. I already am going to homeschool my kids because I can see that my now 3 year old, at 5 would hate so much structure and the love of learning would be sucked out. Not to mention she has just been starting to potty train well and felt so much pressure when I pushed her to be done before baby came. When I backed off, she decided on her own. Which I think can be hard on so many 3 year olds if they are pushed to potty train just to make the date of school. So many parents have their kids out of the house so early and it is sad to me. When do kids ever get to have a few years of being kids? And I can see how you feel you missed out on your kids if you only get them for a few short years. Anyway, just my thoughts on it.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
You know this makes me wonder if this is one of the reasons why American children are so far behind educationally. I think we do tend to coddle children too much here. We don't always give them the credit they deserve.

I think I'm going to have to go look up some statistics about this.

May 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
You know this makes me wonder if this is one of the reasons why American children are so far behind educationally. I think we do tend to coddle children too much here. We don't always give them the credit they deserve.

I think I'm going to have to go look up some statistics about this.[/b]
this is true
May 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Oh my, that almost made me want to cry!
Kids grow up waaaay to fast anyway and somehow it seems so over the top to push academics and independence that early. I don't like it in the U.S. public school system that kindergarten at 5 has become so academic. (Reason #983 that I homeschool!)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 8th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Maria Montessori believed the child’s mind from birth to six years is quite different from the adult’s and labeled it “an absorbent mind.” The child effortlessly soaks in everything in his culture and environment. Modern scientists are now, almost a century later, finding scientific data to support her discoveries. She saw a tremendous need for the child to have respectful and intelligent help during this absorbent mind stage. She saw the child as constantly unfolding and developing himself, and saw the adults that were trying to train him as obstacles to his progress. Her life’s work could be summed up as defining the nature of the child and the role of the adult in helping him, thus easing the tug-of-war that exists when two completely different natures meet[/b]
http://www.a-childs-place.com/montes...odhistory.html

Children learn in the early years, just as they do in later years.
Toddlers can learn complex things at an early age.
http://www.apa.org/releases/picture-books.html
Quote:
“This research shows that very young children can learn to perform novel actions with novel objects from a brief picture-book reading interaction. This common form of interaction that takes place very early in children’s lives, may provide an important source of information to them about the world around them,” said lead author, Gabrielle Simcock.[/b]
Children develop literacy at an early age, indictating that their brain structure can become quite complex at an early age

May 8th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, 3 seems so young to be attending school full time. My son is currently in J/K. He goes full days (8:45 - 3:15) every monday and wednesday and every other friday. Typically a child (in Ontario) starts kindergarten around the ages 4-5.

<span style="color:#A0522D">"No my windows aren't dirty ....that's my boxers nose artwork!"</span>
May 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
donomama
Just FYI for those that think preschool is too structured for kids at the age of 3 -- there are different types of preschool learning models. Lauren talked about Montessori, which is a pretty popular one. My daughter goes to a preschool that uses the DAP (Developmentally Appropriate) style of teaching, where they focus more on learning through play, and taking opportunities for teachable moments in everyday classroom settings. I'm not too concerned with her learning a ton at this point. We enrolled her in preschool because, since she's at home all day with me, we felt that she needed opportunities to develop her social skills and have fun.

ETA: You just need to research and find the type that is right for your child. I'm not saying that homeschooling is not a valid choice, I just want people to know that a traditional public school-type setting isn't the only option.
May 8th, 2007, 07:21 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Maria Montessori believed the child’s mind from birth to six years is quite different from the adult’s and labeled it “an absorbent mind.” The child effortlessly soaks in everything in his culture and environment. Modern scientists are now, almost a century later, finding scientific data to support her discoveries. She saw a tremendous need for the child to have respectful and intelligent help during this absorbent mind stage. She saw the child as constantly unfolding and developing himself, and saw the adults that were trying to train him as obstacles to his progress. Her life’s work could be summed up as defining the nature of the child and the role of the adult in helping him, thus easing the tug-of-war that exists when two completely different natures meet[/b]
http://www.a-childs-place.com/montes...odhistory.html

Children learn in the early years, just as they do in later years.
Toddlers can learn complex things at an early age.
http://www.apa.org/releases/picture-books.html
Quote:
“This research shows that very young children can learn to perform novel actions with novel objects from a brief picture-book reading interaction. This common form of interaction that takes place very early in children’s lives, may provide an important source of information to them about the world around them,” said lead author, Gabrielle Simcock.[/b]
Children develop literacy at an early age, indictating that their brain structure can become quite complex at an early age
[/b][/quote]

I agree with the bolded. I learned to read the newspaper at age 3, because I was bored and an only child I got kicked out of preschool though, and didn't start school until age 5, and I went for a half-day in the afternoon. I'm a bad seed like that
May 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
because for some its not forcing them to grow up, its just part of how their culture raises and views children.. its just part of child development to them

for 3 to be too young is still just an opinion, and doesnt mean its too young for everyone[/b]

I certainly don't mean to offend anything that's a part of someones culture. I am just giving my opinion, and I said it was just an opinion in my first post on it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search