Baby Wearing Vs. Stroller

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Pure Innocence
YES another mommy war!....bleh...I can't think of anything else to debate about and I don't think I've ever seen this one. So here goes:

What is your take on baby wearing vs. a stroller?
May 8th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Man the last one on this got locked I think! Someone had an article that stroller use damages kids, and it went from there!

May 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Pure Innocence
I must have missed it!! Oh well, we have lots of new peeps..
May 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think one is better than the other. Whatever works for you. I'm a fan of slings, but use a stroller when I get tired.

May 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used a carrier, mostly out of comfort at first, but I have big babies and I'm petite so at this point I can't go around carrying them. So now I use a stroller with Aaron and David walks. I thought I'd have to use one of those kid leasjes that I used to think were horrible but David loves to help me push the stroller.

Sharon
May 8th, 2007, 05:22 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Toting Dani through Children's Hospital as a twosome would kill my back. I LOVE my stroller!!! And actually so does she ... she wants in it all the time.
May 8th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
not even an option for me. i can hardly lift the baby by himself let alone carry his weight on me.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Veteran
I tried a carrier, but it KILLED my back. So stroller or hip it is.
May 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Tofu Bacon
At first I was completely turned off of babywearing because I started out with the ever-popular Snugli. Man, it hurt to wear a little 9 pound baby in that thing! Then I was introduced to the kinds of carriers that mothers have been using all over the world for thousands (millions?) of years. I am telling you, traditional carriers like Mei Tais, Rebozos, Pareos, etc blow away those "modern" carriers. I'm very petite but was able to comfortably wear was son until around 26 pounds; some of my babywearing pals made it all the way up to 40 lbs! Granted, by 18 months I only wore him once in a while, but for me it has been convenient than a stroller.
May 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
donomama
I'm a huge wearing fan (I even wear my 44 pound 4 year old at times). But sometimes, a stroller is just more convenient, such as when I'm at the mall and trying to carry bags and the baby.
May 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM
M4NE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did strollers with my older 2, but I just ordered a mei tai for Zach.....We'll see how that goes. Zach's too heavy to carry in his carrier, my stroller is too bulky for quick trips, so hopefully the mei tai will work. I don't think one's better or worse for the kids...just more of a convience isseue.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only liked front carriers when they were itty bitty, and I liked the back carriers until they could pull my hair. But I LOVE the stroller. I also love the harness! Yes I put my kid on a leash sometimes and he looks adorable and loves it too!! (It's a monkey backpack and the tail is the handle)

May 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm mostly like the carrier better (I <3 my mei tai), but sometimes the stroller is more convenient. It totally depends on the situation. If she will need to get out/down frequently - like when we went to Disney World - the stroller is definitely better.
May 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
I prefer to use my carrier than the stroller. I wear my 31 lb toddler in a carrier just fine. There are times when I use a stroller, but it's not as often.

May 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm.... I think I'm going to do a compromise on this one... I prefer the backpack style carriers. Emilee slept really well in one of those and I wasn't afraid of her falling out. Now that she's older (almost 11 months old!!!), she likes the stroller more, because she can move around and look around. Also, I'm going to have to do a stroller at some point when I'm carrying around two munchkins under the age of 2!!!

May 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
irishxrose
I love my baby carrier and I love my stroller. I use whichever one I feel like using that day. Some days I use the carrier, other days I use the stroller. It totally depends. I don't see anything wrong with using either.
May 8th, 2007, 11:43 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
I love my baby carrier and I love my stroller. I use whichever one I feel like using that day. Some days I use the carrier, other days I use the stroller. It totally depends. I don't see anything wrong with using either.[/b]
Ditto. I have 2 slings, a bjorn, a backpack, an umbrella stroller in each vehicle, a jog stroller, and a single-to-triple pram, and use whichever fits my need. Shopping I am most likely to use the sling, as she doesn't fuss and I can nurse if need be, and my son is in the buggy seat. Last weekend at the fair I put 2 of the seats on the pram and kept my youngest son and baby daughter in that while the older 2 went on rides. If we are going for a walk on uneven terrain like the woods or beach the backpack works best. The jogger for our hilly neighborhood while the older kids ride bikes alongside. The bjorn is hubbys preference. Around the house if she just wants to e close to mama and I need to get things done, one of the slings (usually the one I made, I love it). I don't think either of those options is better than another, I think it depends on personal preference, comfort and convenience.

Quote:
Man the last one on this got locked I think! Someone had an article that stroller use damages kids, and it went from there![/b]
Huh? I have heard that babies are being containerized more these days and that's not a good thing, but not simply strollers being damaging. Phooey.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 9th, 2007, 12:13 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would not say that strollers or car seats are damaging. I will go on record and say I've seen research on attachment that babies benefit from closeness to their caretakers. But we knew that, anyway. It's like the orphans in Russia who got so much press a few years ago because they developed Reactive Attachment Disorder due to being confined to their cribs all day with almost no human contact. Clearly, that's damaging. But I would never presume that a baby who's in a stroller isn't getting any bonding time!

I plan to use both a stroller and a sling/carrier according to baby's weight, mommy's energy level, and convenience. Also, I cannot wait to see my hubby wearing a sling. This is a fantasy I have quite often.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search