Seattle Hospital Broke Law in Treating Deliberately Stunted Girl

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I am sure this has been discussed but I went back 13 pages and could not find it so I am asking....

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3152742&page=1

Is this a circumstance that you would not know what you would do until your in it? If it was between stunting her growth and being able to care for her or letting nature take it's course and having to put her in a home. What would you choose?

Personally I try not to think about the future but this article keeps popping up. I do not want a politically correct answer. I can get those from any newspaper. I want true emotion. I am not there yet either but put yourself in this scenario (or try) and tell me what you think you would do. Or if ANYONE has personally experience I would love to hear about it.
May 8th, 2007, 06:18 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
That is a tough situation that I hope to never be in. I honestly cannot say exactly how I feel about. While I think it's wrong on some levels I can see why it was done.

I do wonder what if this girl was born completely normal and lived a normal life until she was let's say 16 and then suffered some injury that caused these problems. The family would have to deal with her size then and they wouldn't have a choice.

So did they do it only because they could and does that make it right?

May 8th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This came up a couple of months ago. The family has a website that I strongly suggest you read if you want to get the whole story. They made the decision to stunt Ashley's growth and have a hysterectomy performed for a variety of reasons. The first is that it makes her much more comfortable. Being smaller makes her easier to turn and prevent bed sores. The doctors told the family it will also help prevent pneumonia.

Apparantly they had the breast buds removed after they started to grow when she was only six. I guess large breasts run in her family and they were afraid that she'd be uncomfortable with them because it would limit the way that she can lie down. The hysterectomy was performed so she'd never had to endure a period or cramps. The family was very worried about her being in pain during her cycle and unable to tell them. They were also concerned about her looking like an adult and how that might change the way she was looked at by caregivers. There's always the possibility of an unscrupulus caregiver who would love to take advantage of a girl who literally can't say no. They also felt that her modified body more correctly reflects her mental age which is that of a 6 month old.

Right now they use an altered double baby stroller to take her on outings which the family says she loves. (I think they can't use a wheelchair without strapping her down in a way that makes her very unhappy, this would have especially been true if she had her adult size breasts) She's pretty close to the maximum weight limit now. I guess Ashley also loves to be held which would be difficult if she were adult sized. The family did say on their website that if it were only an issue of size they never would have started this process. They truly feel, as do their doctors, that this treatment provides the greatest quality of life for Ashley.

After I read the information on the website, I agreed with the family. Their reasoning makes sense and it really seems like they're operating in the best interest of their daughter.

May 9th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've read the family's site, and I think they do seem to have the child's best interest in mind. I don't know how "ethical" or "moral" it is. I just hope I'm never in that situation.
May 9th, 2007, 07:45 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I also remember reading the family's website. They were incredibly defensive. The summation of their website is "you can't say anything if you haven't been through it". That really put me off, and I was actually more sympathetic to their situation before I read their website.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

May 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess its just how you read it, because I can see it being both defensive and trying to educate/explain there stance.
May 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I agree also that they are doing what they deem is best for their daughter. I wish people would respect that and not try to make them feel guilty about it. Obviously there are no easy answers and they have had none since she was born.
May 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I support their decision. It had to be a difficult one to make but, in the end, I too think it was best for that little one.
May 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM
mommyKathyX3
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...=446667&hl=

here is our other discussion

I think they chose the best thing they thought they could for thier daughter. VERY tough sitation, where there is no "right" answer.
May 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I likely would have done the same. I have a special needs child and honestly, if I could delay or stop him from going into puberty I might. I dread when he gets stronger than me.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search