Do you (and your husband) let your kids....

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Pure Innocence
play unsupervised in the backyard/front yard alone? Do you have a fence? How long do you let them play? How often do you check on them? If you do, do you have a pool? Is there a gate/lock on it?
May 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Tofu Bacon
Nope, never. We only have a tiny patch of unfenced yard.
May 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Ok ... Normally the boys do not play in the backyard because they have to pick up Dog Poo before they do. I do not want it tracked in and they, no matter how often I pick it up, will step in it. They are front yard kind of boys. They can go three houses down on either side. I check on them every fifteen minutes to a half hour. They have to stay out of the street unless riding their bikes (with helmets) or playing basketball. They are 8 and 10. Also our street is not through so there is not that much traffic.

Dani is not allowed outside unsupervised.
May 8th, 2007, 07:09 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We have a 40-acre property, about 2 acres of "yard". No fence, but no real road close by either. The kids are allowed to come and go outside as they please according to season and whether or not they've done their chores. I keep a close eye on Thomas and Joseph, but I don't mind if the older three do a bit of wandering. They know the woods and they know the rules.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 8th, 2007, 07:10 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, Emilee is only 10 1/2 months old, so obviously the answer to this is no.

We won't let any of our kids play unsupervised outside until they're probably at least 10 years old, and that would be in our fenced in backyard for a very short period of time.

May 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
My older boys(13, almost 10, and 8 yrs old) are allowed outside alone in our yard. I check on them every once in a while, but they are good kids and follow the rules(or they know they won't be out again for a while) and I don't worry about them. Nick(3) and Kiera(almost 2) are never outside without an adult watching at all times. I don't have a fence yet, but I will in a couple of months.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
May 9th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Veteran
I have a hard time letting my DD play in the backyard by herself. I have done it, but I always keep an eye on her. We have a known child molester who likes to ride his bike through the neighborhood. He once saw some neighborhood girls playing in their backyard. He got off his bike and went back there to play wrestling with them. He was kicked off the property very quickly when discovered there. Now I see him every now and then glancing over their fence at the girls playing. I've told DD if anyone comes up to the fence to come inside immediately. I wish we lived in a world where we could give the freedom to our children to play in their own yard without fear.

</div>
May 9th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I have a hard time letting my DD play in the backyard by herself. I have done it, but I always keep an eye on her. We have a known child molester who likes to ride his bike through the neighborhood. He once saw some neighborhood girls playing in their backyard. He got off his bike and went back there to play wrestling with them. He was kicked off the property very quickly when discovered there. Now I see him every now and then glancing over their fence at the girls playing. I've told DD if anyone comes up to the fence to come inside immediately. I wish we lived in a world where we could give the freedom to our children to play in their own yard without fear.[/b]
wth ?? he should have had his butt thrown in jail!!
May 9th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son is almost 8 and we let him play unsupervised in both the front and back yards. We do have a pool, but he knows how to swim - plus he prefers the front anyway because there's more running room with his buddies. I'll check on him every now and then when he's on our property. He knows that if he goes anywhere else on the block (our street is basically a loop, one way in and one way out), he is to come and ask me first and tell me where he is going.

My daughter is 3 1/2 and is not allowed to play outside without supervision. Sometimes she's in the front yard with DS and one or two of his buddies, and DS is very good about keeping an eye on her. But I'll still keep glancing out the window, going outside to check on her, etc. - and I prefer to be out there with her myself.
May 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hailey is still little so she is outside with one of us.

However, we have a TINY yard with a privacy fence. The gate to the fence stays locked. I *MAY* when she's older let her play out there while, say I'm cooking dinner, since that is the room the back door is in and I can keep the door open and keep an eye on her that way. Again, I probably wo uldn't do that until she's at least 4-5ish.

The front yard is a totally different story because we have some not so great nieghbors who let kids run wild. I don't wnat my daughter associated with that, so if she plays out front it will be with a responsible adult supervising.
May 9th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
Yes we do!
For Mačva (almost 4) and my DF's daughter (almost 7) we let them play in the back yard.
We let the back door window opened. We don't have a fence.
I trust my DD....

Mom to Mačva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

May 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
just in the backyard with the privacy fence being locked. if they are out front i am out front no questions asked.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 9th, 2007, 06:41 AM
mommyKathyX3
Neither of the girls are allowed in the front yard (not fenced) alone, but if they are together, we will let them play there. The windows are always open so I can see and hear them. They know the rules, and watch out for each other. Our neighborhood is pretty close though, and the people have a tendancy to watch out for each other. In the back yard (which is fenced) I'll let them be out there alone WITH the dog. I know if ANYBODY tries to come even close to the fence our dog will flip out. They also know to come right inside if anybody tries to talk to them. I also keep the patio door open so I can see and hear them, and if I dont see or hear them after about 2-3 minutes, I'll call for them. They are really good about it. In our old neighborhood I'd never let them outside without an adult though.
May 9th, 2007, 06:57 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh and I own 5 acres of property in the country so we allow Ds (4) to play in the front yard alone sometimes. Most of the time Dh is out there, but on occasion, we let him go out and play on his swingset or play in the front with the neighbor boy, but we are constantly looking out the front window or door checking on him! We don't have a fenced-in yard. Our driveway is about 1/8th mile long so he is nowhere close to the road!

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
May 9th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope never. I hate even running in the house to grab something while she's outside. Or yard is not fenced in and is on the corner of 2 roads. She knows not to go near the road, but I'm so afriad she'd be all caught up in chasing a ball or something. Besides the weirdo's in the world... I don't even want to think about that.

</div>
May 9th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have 5 acres that is about 1/4 mile off the main road, so we let our kids play outside. DD has been playing outside by herself for the past two years or so, and we just started letting DS go out with her. We have two close neighbors, and they are both nice families with children. To be honest I don't worry about criminals/molesters--I really worry more about black widow spiders and rattlesnakes!

May 9th, 2007, 08:01 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NO, not at this age. Brinlee just turned two yesterday and honestly, the only thing we let her to unsupervised is sleep

I will let her play on the screened in back porch while I'm doing the dishes or something else in the kitchen (the back porch is off the kitchen and I keep the door to outside locked) and I'll keep the door that leads through the kitchen to the back porch open... I can see and hear her at all times.

She does not pay outside in the yard alone because #1 we live on a busy street (busy because the hospital is just down the road from us), #2 our yard isn't fenced all the way around (only partly), #3 she just turned two years old and #4 even if she were a bit older, she would still be supervised because I do not trust a single person in this world unless they are family or close friends. Too many crazy people out there and I don't want to make it anymore easy for them to snach up a kid by leaving my child unsupervised.

My nephew is seven years old, and I still have issues with my sister about letting him play outside unsupervised. I guess I just have major trust issues and I'm over protective with my child and the kids in my family. But hey, that is fine with me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search