American vs. Foreign made cars

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: What type of car do you think is best
American made 2 18.18%
Japanese made 5 45.45%
European made 1 9.09%
Other 0 0%
I think they're all about the same 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM
donomama
Which kind of car do you think is most reliable? My whole life, I would have said Japanese made. I had never had an American made car until we got our SUV a few years ago. I didn't even want it because it was American made, but I have to admit, I love it! I am starting to think that maybe they're equal? Am I crazy?
May 8th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The only reason I said Japanese is because of the production methods used. NA vehicles are built on the philosophy of quantity and quotas whereas most Asian made vehicles are made with Lean principles with an emphasis on quality over numbers.

The Lean principles stress quality and reducing excess waste (i.e. time, materials, ergonomics, organization of materials, teamwork, etc). They strive to be efficient and those little details show up in the work and product. There's a reason why Toyota is now #1 and the other Asian companies are closing the gap. Just look at the depreciation value of a NA vehicle vs an Asian made vehicle. There's no real comparison.

I've also seen 1st hand the difference between a company that uses Lean principles vs companies that don't. It's day and night.
May 9th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Subaru, Toyota and Honda all the way baby!!!
May 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I voted all the same. My family has always had Fords, and I rebelled and bought an Acura before I had Ryleigh. I liked my Fords alot better! I like the way they drive, the way they feel. They feel a lot tougher I think. I felt like I was in a tin can in the Acura, so I traded up and got a Ford Escape. I love my car I think a Ford can be just as reliable as a Japanese car, but it's all about the scheduled maintenance and taking really good care of the car. I had my old Explorer until 155,000 miles and all it needed were oil changes, no major issues at all.
May 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Veteran
Quote:
I voted all the same. My family has always had Fords, and I rebelled and bought an Acura before I had Ryleigh. I liked my Fords alot better! I like the way they drive, the way they feel. They feel a lot tougher I think. I felt like I was in a tin can in the Acura, so I traded up and got a Ford Escape. I love my car I think a Ford can be just as reliable as a Japanese car, but it's all about the scheduled maintenance and taking really good care of the car. I had my old Explorer until 155,000 miles and all it needed were oil changes, no major issues at all.[/b]

I bought a Hyundai Accent after driving a Mustang and I always felt SO unsafe in that thing. I ended up selling it and getting an Explorer which I LOVE!! It is almost paid off and when it is we are going to trade it in on a diesel Excursion. My Explorer is a 2000 and has 111,000 miles on it and hasn't had any problems at all. We also have a 1990 Mustang (Our very first car we bought together and I refuse to get rid of it!) with over 200,000 miles on it and it runs like a dream and a 2006 Mustang. DH owns an automotive shop and takes excellent care of our cars. It's all in the maintenance!!
Cadence~ 1/11/2007 2lbs 3ozs 13"

May 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Quote:
I voted all the same. My family has always had Fords, and I rebelled and bought an Acura before I had Ryleigh. I liked my Fords alot better! I like the way they drive, the way they feel. They feel a lot tougher I think. I felt like I was in a tin can in the Acura, so I traded up and got a Ford Escape. I love my car I think a Ford can be just as reliable as a Japanese car, but it's all about the scheduled maintenance and taking really good care of the car. I had my old Explorer until 155,000 miles and all it needed were oil changes, no major issues at all.[/b]

I bought a Hyundai Accent after driving a Mustang and I always felt SO unsafe in that thing. I ended up selling it and getting an Explorer which I LOVE!! It is almost paid off and when it is we are going to trade it in on a diesel Excursion. My Explorer is a 2000 and has 111,000 miles on it and hasn't had any problems at all. We also have a 1990 Mustang (Our very first car we bought together and I refuse to get rid of it!) with over 200,000 miles on it and it runs like a dream and a 2006 Mustang. DH owns an automotive shop and takes excellent care of our cars. It's all in the maintenance!!
[/b]
My FIL has a Hyundai Accent and I am TERRIFIED of being in the backseat of that car!! The safety ratings in the back are crap, and plus my FIL drives like a total #####. YIKES! I don't blame you for trading it!
May 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I voted American. Chevy's seem to last a long time from what I've seen and they are not unreasonably priced either. And it's easy to get parts for them and fix them if they break, unlike a European car where the parts are hard to find and/or expensive.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search