Insurance

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It seems you need insurance for everything these days- to drive a car, homeowner's insurance, insurance for your profession.

Do you agree with insurance, or do you think people should just be able to drive their car without it? Buy a house without it? Practiced nursing/medicine without it, Etc.

I disagree with insurance. I think if someone doesn't want it, they shouldn't HAVE to get it. And in South Carolina if you own your car outright, you can opt out of getting insurance. I am not sure if other states have this.

I am just against it in general I think it's a waste of money. And if you wreck your car, (unless it's a really nice car) it is probably cheaper to just pay to fix it than to pay insurance for years and years. I think if people were less sue-happy we wouldn't need insurance. We are paying such high premiums because of all the lawsuits out there and just lining the pockets of the company and the lawyers.

Any other opinions, thoughts?

May 9th, 2007, 09:44 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think it has its good points and its bad points. I can see why professionals (doctors and such) need to have it. It is in place to help protect them as well as their patients. I do, however, think that malpractice insurance has gone completely overboard. It is to the point now where some Drs can't even afford to practice anymore.

I went without medical insurance for 3 years because my job didn't offer it. I was always worried that something would happen but luckily nothing serious ever occurred. I didn't have insurance for the first 6 months of my pregnancy.

When I got an ultrasound they only charged my $120 because I didn't have insurance. I have had another ultrasound since I got insurance. They charged the insurance company $638 for it. The insurance paid $500 I was sent a bill for the remaining $138.

It cost me more with insurance than it did without not to mention that they had already received $500 from the insurance company.

That is ridiculous!

May 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think insurance is a necessity for most people because most people can't afford to cover a major disaster. A person who supports a family with their income needs insurance to replace that income if they die. If you cause an accident and destroy someone else's property, you need to be able to replace that person's property. If you don't have health insurance and have a heart attack or a premature birth, good luck coming up with the $75,000 or $100,000 or even more that you will need to cover those expenses.

That being said, I don't think that all people should be FORCED to have insurance. For example, if a person has a million dollars in the bank and doesn't want to carry car insurance, fine with me. But if they crash into me, they better be willing to write a check.

May 9th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have home owner's, auto, 3 life insurance policies, insurance on my engagement and wedding ring and I have malpractice insurance (it's required for me to work where I do, but I would have it even if it weren't required). If I could afford it, I would insure my SLR camera.

So, I like my insurance. You also have to remember that malpractice insurance not only protects the doctor, but their practice (and other doctors who might be a part of that practice) as well.

I'm not totally educated about insurance, but most mortgate companies won't accept you without an home owner's policy. And isn't auto insurance needed so we don't have fools driving...well....foolishly and causing wrecks they can't pay for. You could sue them but then it would be a legal battle and who has time for that?

As for life insurance, I suppose that's up to you.
May 9th, 2007, 10:32 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
In MD it is illegal to drive without insurance, and I prefer to keep it that way. I don't want to get hit by someone only to find out they have no insurance, can't pay for the damage to my car, or that they've given me fake contact information. I have uninsured motorist coverage on my car insurance in case that happens. I prefer to have insurance for health, car, life, etc. but right now I don't have renter's insurance. It's so cheap, but I just keep forgetting to order it... and we've been here for over a year

ETA: The only problem with the insurance law in MD is that we have to have a fund for low-income drivers to obtain insurance, MAIF, and it SUCKS. DF and I have been fighting with them for nearly 3 years to get our medical bills paid because a driver w/ MAIF blatantly ran a red light at 60 mph and T-boned us. They still won't accept that he was responsible - ***?! Sorry, rant over!
May 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think insurance is a necessity for most people because most people can't afford to cover a major disaster. A person who supports a family with their income needs insurance to replace that income if they die. If you cause an accident and destroy someone else's property, you need to be able to replace that person's property. If you don't have health insurance and have a heart attack or a premature birth, good luck coming up with the $75,000 or $100,000 or even more that you will need to cover those expenses.

That being said, I don't think that all people should be FORCED to have insurance. For example, if a person has a million dollars in the bank and doesn't want to carry car insurance, fine with me. But if they crash into me, they better be willing to write a check.[/b]

I'm probably over insured, but it's worth it to me. We have car insurance with really high limits, homeowners insurance, health insurance, paycheck protection (disability) insurance, & life insurance.

If I had a boat-load of cash in the bank, I wouldn't feel the need to have insurance, but until then I'm covering my bases.

May 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM
donomama
I think it is a horrible idea to make it legal to be uninsured (auto). My sis lives in Kentucky. She just moved there last year and they aren't required to carry auto insurance. As a result, she has to pay nearly twice what she did in Colorado on her insurance. How is that fair?

Also, I would have insurance, even if I had bazillions of dollars. If someone either gets really, really injured, or decides to sue for any reason, I would much rather they sue my insurance company than me.
May 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My problem with insurance is that it in itself is impossible to afford sometimes... And in a lot of ways, i think our insurance systems do more harm than good. For instance the ultrasound that cost more WITH insurance. Or homeowner's and car insurance where you get penalized for making a claim. How is that right? I don't know... I honestly see both sides on this issue...
May 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM
donomama
Quote:
My problem with insurance is that it in itself is impossible to afford sometimes... And in a lot of ways, i think our insurance systems do more harm than good. For instance the ultrasound that cost more WITH insurance. Or homeowner's and car insurance where you get penalized for making a claim. How is that right? I don't know... I honestly see both sides on this issue... [/b]

How did your ultrasound cost more with insurance? How much did it cost? I was worried that my insurance wouldn't cover mine, because I had 3, so I found out exactly how much they were - it was over $500.00 each. With my insurance, I paid $20 - how much did you pay?

I also wanted to add that yes, the cost of insurance seems daunting...until you are caught without it. Growing up, my dad was self employed, so sometimes we had it, sometimes we didn't. It was all fine and good until my mom had a heart attack while uninsured and they are now up to their eyeballs with $100,000 of hospital bills.
May 9th, 2007, 01:35 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad to know anyone who might hit me in this state is insured, so I don't have to cover damages myself. However, it really irritates me that I've never had an incident that was my fault in the more than 10 years I've been driving. If I were to get in a fender bender tomorrow, though, my rates would go up. Why? What happened to the thousands of dollars I've been paying you for over a decade? I understand that high-risk drivers should pay more, but I don't get why the average (or even better than average) person is almost always penalized for using their own insurance. What's the point?

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
FYI--my DH had his first wreck this year at the age of 40, and our rates DIDN'T go up. So it's not always true that rates go up every time you have a wreck.

May 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
So far in Dani's short life she has used $350,000 of her medical insurance and that is after the insurance company reduces the cost charged. So I am all for medical insurance. I definitely think the Pharmaceutical and Medical industry make way to much money off of us but until they get laws into place I will keep my insurance.

Life, House, and Rental is a necessary evil to make sure we are covered in case of a disaster of some sort (as posted above). Car Insurance is more for me to be covered if someone hits me that is not covered. I can not afford to be with out a car.
May 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Quote:
My problem with insurance is that it in itself is impossible to afford sometimes... And in a lot of ways, i think our insurance systems do more harm than good. For instance the ultrasound that cost more WITH insurance. Or homeowner's and car insurance where you get penalized for making a claim. How is that right? I don't know... I honestly see both sides on this issue... [/b]

How did your ultrasound cost more with insurance? How did your ultrasound cost more with insurance? How much did it cost? I was worried that my insurance wouldn't cover mine, because I had 3, so I found out exactly how much they were - it was over $500.00 each. With my insurance, I paid $20 - how much did you pay?

I also wanted to add that yes, the cost of insurance seems daunting...until you are caught without it. Growing up, my dad was self employed, so sometimes we had it, sometimes we didn't. It was all fine and good until my mom had a heart attack while uninsured and they are now up to their eyeballs with $100,000 of hospital bills.
[/b]

I think she was referring to my PP. For my first 2 ultrasounds I didn't have insurance. The radiology company charged me $120 because I didn't have insurance (this was their way of being nice). I have had another ultrasound since I got insurance. The total bill was $638. The insurance company paid $500 of it. I was sent a bill for the remaining $138. Therefore, it is costing ME more by having insurance. Not only did I have to pay more for the bill I also have to pay for my insurance.

May 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How did your ultrasound cost more with insurance? How did your ultrasound cost more with insurance? How much did it cost? I was worried that my insurance wouldn't cover mine, because I had 3, so I found out exactly how much they were - it was over $500.00 each. With my insurance, I paid $20 - how much did you pay?

[/b]

I think she was referring to my PP. For my first 2 ultrasounds I didn't have insurance. The radiology company charged me $120 because I didn't have insurance (this was their way of being nice). I have had another ultrasound since I got insurance. The total bill was $638. The insurance company paid $500 of it. I was sent a bill for the remaining $138. Therefore, it is costing ME more by having insurance. Not only did I have to pay more for the bill I also have to pay for my insurance.
[/b]

But the doctor's office is eating the rest of the fee when you don't have insurance. Most offices wouldn't do that - I think it was very nice of them to charge you a lesser amount since you weren't insured.
May 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caeden @ May 9 2007, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

But the doctor's office is eating the rest of the fee when you don't have insurance. Most offices wouldn't do that - I think it was very nice of them to charge you a lesser amount since you weren't insured.
[/b][/quote]

Oh it was nice of them to do that. It is just weird that now that I have insurance, which I am paying for, it costs me even more. These type of places do charge much more than they really need to. I know they need to cover a lot of costs but I can imagine that they also make a fairly large profit.

May 9th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Alaynna
I think auto insurance is a must...to not so much cover yourself but if your at fault for an accident..insurance is usually the only way that the not at-fault party can get their car fixed...

I think that collision coverage should be optional..because it's up to you if you want you vehicle to be fixed.

Same thing for home insurance...it's up to the owner if they want to cover themselves.

We have full coverage on everything (car, house) because I would rather pay a low monthly bill and have them pay a huge lump sum if something happens than the other way around..
May 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Car insurance is a must. What if you are in a serious accident and have to be in the hospital for awhile or require surgery. You know how much that racks up?
May 10th, 2007, 05:07 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Insurance is important under certain circumstances.

Health insurance is a must these days. How many people can pay for medical expenses outright? It all adds up in the end and health insurance helps. What about people that get severely injured? Most people don't have several thousands of dollars to cover major medical bills.

Car insurance is an interesting topic. I think it's good to have when an accident happens. When I was in my major accident there was $8,000 worth of damage done to my car. The guy who hit me drove off and didn't have insurance. There is no way without car insurance would I have been able to afford to fix my car.

I don't know much about other insurance issues though.

</div>
May 10th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So what would you do when the person with no insurance causes a wreck and your car is totaled. say oh well i dont like insurance anyways so i will find a way to pay to get the vehicle fixed out of my pocket???

not all health insurance is that way. we have tricare through the military and pay nothing out of pocket and it is really cheap also. we dont even have to pay for OTC meds.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
not all health insurance is that way. we have tricare through the military and pay nothing out of pocket and it is really cheap also. we dont even have to pay for OTC meds.[/b]
Uhh... You do realize everyone else's insurance IS that way, right? Yours is only that great because you ARE military, and those costs are paid by the tax dollars. Count yourself lucky... For the rest of us, health insurance is much harder to obtain, and for a lot of people... simply out of reach.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search