Smoking in Restaurants

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Smoking in Restaurants
Yes 9 15.00%
No 51 85.00%
The whole place should be smoking 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think there should be a smoking section, yes. Not the entire restaurant though.

May 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No, no and no again! A person's right to breathe fresh, clean air far supercedes a smoker's need to puff!
May 9th, 2007, 09:18 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Absolutely NO, and I'm really curious as to what the argument for YES would be. I'm an ex-smoker (12 years, until I found out I was pregnant) and I had absolutely no problem either waiting to smoke or stepping outside. Why would anyone want to subject other people to their bad habit if it could be avoided?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
No, not in a restaurant. I'm a smoker but I don't want to smoke around my or others' food, gross! We always sit in non-smoking. Bars are a different story but that's another debate.
May 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
mommyKathyX3
I think if its a restraunt, NO SMOKING, if its a bar and grill, after a certain time smoking allowed AT THE BAR (like maybe 10 pm), and if its a bar exclusivly smoking should be allowed in at least an area if not the whole thing.
May 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get irritated at bars, because I'd like a nice drink too, sometimes just that and no dinner, so why should I be forced to breathe that crap if I want a drink, but not for dinner?

May 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Quote:
No, not in a restaurant. I'm a smoker but I don't want to smoke around my or others' food, gross! We always sit in non-smoking. Bars are a different story but that's another debate.[/b]
What about when there is a bar inside the restaurant? Should smoking be allowed in the bar area?
[/b]
No, no smoking in restaurant bars. But if it is a bar ONLY, I think that they should allow smoking. In Baltimore, legislation was just passed that there can be NO smoking in bars, even if the bar wants to allow it. Most of the bar owners are pissed because this will put a huge dent in their business, and even though the bill was supposedly passed "to protect servers and bartenders from second hand smoke", most of them didn't want to see it passed b/c they knew their business would suffer for it. I think they should have the option of allowing smoking in their bar or choosing to run a non-smoking bar. Or if the place is big enough, have one area of the bar that's smoking and separate it from the non-smoking area.
May 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Cigarette smoke drives my allergies crazy. I don't think it should be allowed in restaurants because it is impossible to contain.

Lucky for me NJ passed a law last year that bans smoking in most public places such as restaurants and bars. You can not smoke in a bar period! Before that I used to eat in Delaware (I am only about 5 minutes from there) because they enacted this law several years ago.

I don't believe that a smoker has the right to pollute my lungs!

May 9th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Same here where I live, no smoking anywhere

May 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
I get irritated at bars, because I'd like a nice drink too, sometimes just that and no dinner, so why should I be forced to breathe that crap if I want a drink, but not for dinner?[/b]

Come on Lauren! If you're going to drink you GOTTA smoke too! Thats a prerequesite! They go hand in hand Everyone knows that

Well, generally speaking I think there should be smoking sections in bars out of consideration. That or certain bars are smoking some are not. I know know, its a lose lose situation it seems. Around here in Jan they said no smoking in bars at all, and there has been MAJOR problems becuase of it. There are even bars who are advertising (not publically, but its known) that they will allow smoking even though its against the law. They are willing to pay the fines to get the buisiness.
May 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Quote:
No, not in a restaurant. I'm a smoker but I don't want to smoke around my or others' food, gross! We always sit in non-smoking. Bars are a different story but that's another debate.[/b]
What about when there is a bar inside the restaurant? Should smoking be allowed in the bar area?
[/b]
No, not at all. I'm from Vancouver BC, where there has been no smoking allowed indoors for some time, and it has not stopped people from going to the bar. Smoking is not a basic necessity and right - breathable air is.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 9th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No...I live in Southern Ontario and smoking has been banned in ALL public areas that are indoors. That includes restuarants, bars, bingo halls, places of employment, malls, etc (basically anywhere that is indoors).

We've been smoke free in my city since 2000 and sure there were some smokers who were upset but you learn to deal with it. As a smoker you can choose what air to breath, but as a non-smoker I don't have a choice when somebody near me lights up.

I can't tell you how nice it is to come from from being out for dinner and not having the smell of smoke in my clothes or hair, or my food food for that matter. Even with a smoking section, the second hand smoke still creaps over to the non-smokers section.

It's worked for us and we even have a huge international festival where beer and smoking goes hand-in-hand (Octoberfest) and they even survived and haven't seen a decline in attendance.

Bottom line...it can be done and it's worked for us for over 7yrs!
May 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
No...I live in Southern Ontario and smoking has been banned in ALL public areas that are indoors. That includes restuarants, bars, bingo halls, places of employment, malls, etc (basically anywhere that is indoors).

We've been smoke free in my city since 2000 and sure there were some smokers who were upset but you learn to deal with it. As a smoker you can choose what air to breath, but as a non-smoker I don't have a choice when somebody near me lights up.

I can't tell you how nice it is to come from from being out for dinner and not having the smell of smoke in my clothes or hair, or my food food for that matter. Even with a smoking section, the second hand smoke still creaps over to the non-smokers section.

It's worked for us and we even have a huge international festival where beer and smoking goes hand-in-hand (Octoberfest) and they even survived and haven't seen a decline in attendance.

Bottom line...it can be done and it's worked for us for over 7yrs![/b]

It is the same here. People complained at first and some businesses cried that they'd lose business. Business never changed. If people want to go out to eat, shop, or go to a bar they are still going to do it whether they can smoke or not. If there is no smoking anywhere what other choice do they have?

May 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM
chloe82
I voted no. If people want to risk their health by smoking they can feel free to do so, just not in a public place where their habit is affecting other people's health. And why is it that so many people make such a discernment between smoking being allowed in a restaurant vs. in a bar?? The principle of the matter is the same whether you're at a bar, primarily drinking, or a restaurant, primarily eating. The issue at hand is simply the right to breathe clean air in a public place, is it not?
May 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm happy to see all of the "no" replies here! I totally agree with Lauren about the bars though. Any public place indoors should be non-smoking I think. Between allergies and asthma, I seriously can't breathe around cigarette smoke. Why should a person who WANTS to smoke have more rights than a person who NEEDS to breathe? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
May 9th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I also dont agree with it harming the people who work there. I know they always have a choice where they work, and some dont care, but even if they dont care, its affecting their health

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search