Smoking and Children

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I think smoking indoors where there is a child present, in a car, or any other enclosed space with children present under the age when they are allowed to smoke themselves should be considered a form of child endangerment or abuse, perhaps even carrying it's own charge, subjecting a child to toxic substances or something like that. Thoughts?

ETA If you disagree with making it illegal to smoke indoors with a child what about just in cars?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I think smoking indoors where there is a child present, in a car, or any other enclosed space with children present under the age when they are allowed to smoke themselves should be considered a form of child endangerment or abuse, perhaps even carrying it's own charge, subjecting a child to toxic substances or something like that. Thoughts?[/b]
I don't know about calling it child endangerment or abuse, I'll have to see opposing sides to form my opinion. But I most certainly don't agree with doing any of these things.
May 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that it would be impossible to enforce this. What are we going to do- start knocking on random doors of private homes for no reason just to see if anyone is smoking?

And, smoking is legal. So I don't see how it would be a charge- unless smoking became illegal altogether.

May 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Quote:
I think that it would be impossible to enforce this. What are we going to do- start knocking on random doors of private homes for no reason just to see if anyone is smoking?

And, smoking is legal. So I don't see how it would be a charge- unless smoking became illegal altogether.[/b]
Drinking alcohol is legal. But you cannot give alcohol to a child. If you are smoking around a child you are subjecting them to many of the ill effects of smoking. I guess because they can't get addicted to second hand smoke, this is okay?

I agree it would be imposible to completely enforce. But there are many laws that are difficult to enforce but that we can ticket people for doing that may cut down on people doing those things. Like car seat and seat belt laws for example. Not wanting to get a ticket for having their belt unbuckled has made people more likely to wear their seatblet. If you could be fined for smoling in the vehicle with your children people would be less likely to do it. Those children would then at least have cleaner air while in the car...

May 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
I think smoking indoors where there is a child present, in a car, or any other enclosed space with children present under the age when they are allowed to smoke themselves should be considered a form of child endangerment or abuse, perhaps even carrying it's own charge, subjecting a child to toxic substances or something like that. Thoughts?[/b]
I don't agree with smoking around children, and I wouldn't ever do it, but I'm hesitant to slap yet another law down. It's a slippery slope. If the government can regulate whether or not you can smoke in your house or your car, then what's next? And how are they going to enforce this, by doing home raids whenever they smell smoke? It would never happen.
May 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well, I am mainly concerned about cars. I just cant stand when I see people smoking in the car with their kids in it. What if it was just in cars? Would you be for that? It would actually be in everyone's best interest because smoking while driving is a distraction.

May 9th, 2007, 11:41 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Well, I am mainly concerned about cars. I just cant stand when I see people smoking in the car with their kids in it. What if it was just in cars? Would you be for that? It would actually be in everyone's best interest because smoking while driving is a distraction.[/b]
No, I wouldn't. It's still that person's private property and I still think that's a slippery slope to go down legally. Does that mean I endorse smoking around children? NO! I've never smoked near my daughter, b/c I care about her health and wellbeing. But I don't want a law that tells me what I can and can't do on or in my own private property.
May 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Well, I am mainly concerned about cars. I just cant stand when I see people smoking in the car with their kids in it. What if it was just in cars? Would you be for that? It would actually be in everyone's best interest because smoking while driving is a distraction.[/b]
Sure I'd be for this. You can smoke in your car, just not if kids are around, so it's not really telling you WHERE you can smoke.
May 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to EmilysMommy04
Ok I smoke. I do not smoke in my house or in my car. I smoke outside. I will not smoke around my kids inside my house or in my car. It is my choice to smoke not theres. They are more important to me then to smoke inside and near them.

May 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Why not just make smoking illegal altogether?

And while we're at it, any other substance that is bad for you. Fast food. Alcohol. Videogames. All these things are bad if you do them in excess.

Why is it the government's job to protect me from myself?

May 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:

And while we're at it, any other substance that is bad for you. Fast food. Alcohol. Videogames. All these things are bad if you do them in excess.

Why is it the government's job to protect me from myself?[/b]
This isn't about protecting you from yourself. This is protecting children from those who smoke. If someone eats fast food, it's not going to put the lbs on the kid. The kid doesn't drink the alcohol if the parent does.
May 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Quote:
Quote:

This isn't about protecting you from yourself. This is protecting children from those who smoke. If someone eats fast food, it's not going to put the lbs on the kid. The kid doesn't drink the alcohol if the parent does.
[/b]
But what if an expectant mother eats fast food? Should that be illegal? Where does it end?
May 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Pure Innocence
Of course there is always the extreme everyone will bring up.

EVERYBODY knows the difference between drugs/alcohol/tobacco and OTHER unhealthy choices, so lets not get off track.
May 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is a hard one for me, I see both sides of the debate as being valid. I don't think a parent should be smoking with their child in an enclosed area whether it's their living room or a vehicle. But, the bottom line is that it would be too hard to police something like that (perhaps cars would be easier, like spotting someone not wearing a seatbelt).
May 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
A town in NJ just recently passed a law about this. It is illegal to smoke in a car with passengers who are under the age of 17. You cannot be pulled over for this violation alone though. You have to be pulled over for another violation (such as speeding) in order to be ticketed for smoking.

I can't believe that people smoke around children. My dad smoked like a chimney until I was 12. My brother and I were always sick. Funny enough about 6 months after he quit smoking everyone in the house was a lot healthier.

Personally, I think if you smoke around your children you are selfish because you are putting your child's health at risk in order to satisfy your own wants (no it isn't a need).

May 9th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
A town in NJ just recently passed a law about this. It is illegal to smoke in a car with passengers who are under the age of 17. You cannot be pulled over for this violation alone though. You have to be pulled over for another violation (such as speeding) in order to be ticketed for smoking.

I can't believe that people smoke around children. My dad smoked like a chimney until I was 12. My brother and I were always sick. Funny enough about 6 months after he quit smoking everyone in the house was a lot healthier.

Personally, I think if you smoke around your children you are selfish because you are putting your child's health at risk in order to satisfy your own wants (no it isn't a need).[/b]
I agree.
May 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Quote:
A town in NJ just recently passed a law about this. It is illegal to smoke in a car with passengers who are under the age of 17. You cannot be pulled over for this violation alone though. You have to be pulled over for another violation (such as speeding) in order to be ticketed for smoking.[/b]
Awesome! That's a start
Quote:
Personally, I think if you smoke around your children you are selfish because you are putting your child's health at risk in order to satisfy your own wants (no it isn't a need).[/b]
I agree. I have friends who are hardcore smokers and they will be "dying for a smoke" and will wait until the kids go to bed and go outside. It's part of being a responsible parent and making personal sacrifices for your childs well-being.

Quote:
I don't believe it is. I believe it should be legal to use or abuse any substance you want as long as you are only harming yourself in the process. In a perfect world, I don't think it should be the government's job to protect people's children, but since many people seem either incapable or unwilling to do it themselves, somebody has to look out for their health and welfare.

May 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Quote:
A town in NJ just recently passed a law about this. It is illegal to smoke in a car with passengers who are under the age of 17. You cannot be pulled over for this violation alone though. You have to be pulled over for another violation (such as speeding) in order to be ticketed for smoking.[/b]
Awesome! That's a start
Quote:
I agree. I have friends who are hardcore smokers and they will be "dying for a smoke" and will wait until the kids go to bed and go outside. It's part of being a responsible parent and making personal sacrifices for your childs well-being.

Quote:
Why is it the government's job to protect me from myself? Why is it the government's job to protect me from myself?[/b]
I don't believe it is. I believe it should be legal to use or abuse any substance you want as long as you are only harming yourself in the process. In a perfect world, I don't think it should be the government's job to protect people's children, but since many people seem either incapable or unwilling to do it themselves, somebody has to look out for their health and welfare.
[/b]

Laws like not allowing you to smoke around your children aren't meant to protect you from yourself. They are meant to protect children from parents who put their own needs before the health of their child. These are the reasons we need to have laws to prevent child abuse. Some people just aren't smart enough to know it isn't something you should do. We have to spell out the fact that it is dangerous!

May 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:

And, smoking is legal. So I don't see how it would be a charge- unless smoking became illegal altogether.[/b]

Quote:
Quote:
I don't agree with smoking around children, and I wouldn't ever do it, but I'm hesitant to slap yet another law down. It's a slippery slope. If the government can regulate whether or not you can smoke in your house or your car, then what's next? And how are they going to enforce this, by doing home raids whenever they smell smoke? It would never happen.
[/b]

Quote:
Quote:
No, I wouldn't. It's still that person's private property and I still think that's a slippery slope to go down legally. Does that mean I endorse smoking around children? NO! I've never smoked near my daughter, b/c I care about her health and wellbeing. But I don't want a law that tells me what I can and can't do on or in my own private property.
[/b]

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
But what if an expectant mother eats fast food? Should that be illegal? Where does it end?
[/b]
Ditto to all of the above!
Quote:
Of course there is always the extreme everyone will bring up.

EVERYBODY knows the difference between drugs/alcohol/tobacco and OTHER unhealthy choices, so lets not get off track.[/b]
I don't see it as off track at all, it is all relative.

May 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Pure Innocence
^^^ I don't. There is an obvious difference.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search