Child Seats

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Grrrr, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I want to throttle people who don't put their kid in a car seat. I spent 3 years working the drive thru window at a bank. I can't tell you how many times I saw kids just bouncing around the car. I'd see them from newborn on up not being secured properly. Not only were they not in car seats most of the time they didn't have seat belts on either.

I say the laws should be MUCH stricter for it. I say instead of issuing a fine you should be charged with child endangerment!

May 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Pure Innocence
When I was 12 I was with my mom and my 2nd cousin who was like 2 at the time I believe. My mom had me hold her on my lap because the backseat was packed full of stuff because my grandmother was moving. I didn't know any better....it's what mom said to do..

WHAT AN IDIOT!! Thank God there was an off duty police officer in the next windo aisle who saw me and yelled at my mom and made us put her in her carseat. My mom got all miffed! WTH?!? I guess I shouldn't be surprised though....she drank and drove with us when we were young children.
May 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Here in WA I believe it is 6 years or 60 lbs. I heard that it was going up to 8 years or 80 lbs for booster seat laws. I think somone told me that the police will not pull someone over for a child seat infraction but if you get pulle dover for anyhting else and they see it they will tack it on, likewise if you go through a checkpoint of anykind (drinking driving, border, whatever). I guess I can understand that, if they were pulling over everbody for not having their kids in boosters that would be an awful lot of pulling people over, but then again if they stuck a hefty fine on it, maybe it would only take a short time before people caught on and didn't want to be ticketed.
I think it's sad that people would even need the threat of a fine to protect their children.
I think a Federal standard would be a good idea. Make things easier for travelling, military people who move etc.

I have an Explorer and 4 kids who all need a booster or infant seat but no 3rd row, so I had to buy a special airbag-shielded rear facing infant seat for my baby because my vehicle is older and the airbag can't be disabled. It cost me about $300 but since I can't afford a minivan that's what I had to do. It was really hard to find that car seat! Safe comfortable car seats need to be more affordable. Maybe there could be a basically safe one that parents could get for free, like through WIC or welfare, if they can't afford one. People would still buy the fancy ones.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I know my daughter will be in a booster until she gets to 80 lbs. I think it is so irresponsible not to have them in a proper car seat. What does it take for people to learn? Are they going to wait until their child is killed in a car accident before they realize how dangerous it is?
I think they should give really really heavy fines for being caught with your kid not in a car seat. And I also think they should make booster seats for older children mandatory by law, because a seat belt is not going to protect a five year old in an accident.
May 9th, 2007, 08:20 PM
donomama
My DD is 4 and 44 pounds, but I still put her in a 5 point harness. I don't even think that the over the shoulder booster seats are safe enough.
May 9th, 2007, 08:30 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
My DD is 4 and 44 pounds, but I still put her in a 5 point harness. I don't even think that the over the shoulder booster seats are safe enough.[/b]

Where did you find a seat with a 5 point harness that suited her height? That's been my biggest problem. My child is too tall for anything else I can find.
[/b]

It's made by Britax. We have the Marathon, and it fits up to 65 pounds. They also have one (called Husky???) that fits up to 80 pounds. They're a little pricey, but I think the extra safety and piece of mind is worth it.
May 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donomama @ May 9 2007, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
My DD is 4 and 44 pounds, but I still put her in a 5 point harness. I don't even think that the over the shoulder booster seats are safe enough.[/b]

Where did you find a seat with a 5 point harness that suited her height? That's been my biggest problem. My child is too tall for anything else I can find.
[/b]

It's made by Britax. We have the Marathon, and it fits up to 65 pounds. They also have one (called Husky???) that fits up to 80 pounds. They're a little pricey, but I think the extra safety and piece of mind is worth it.
[/b][/quote]

I'm on a waiting list for a Regent, which is good up to 80lbs (and I think 8 years, but I can't remember) but those have a huge demand here and little supply. Sigh. I wish I could get one.
[/b][/quote]

REGENT!!! Yes, that's the name I was looking for. Do you have Buy Buy Baby near you? I saw them there not too long ago.
May 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I have an Explorer and 4 kids who all need a booster or infant seat but no 3rd row, so I had to buy a special airbag-shielded rear facing infant seat for my baby because my vehicle is older and the airbag can't be disabled. It cost me about $300 but since I can't afford a minivan that's what I had to do. It was really hard to find that car seat! Safe comfortable car seats need to be more affordable. Maybe there could be a basically safe one that parents could get for free, like through WIC or welfare, if they can't afford one. People would still buy the fancy ones.[/b]
State Farm insurance has one that sells for $25. I believe that most firestations have car seats available for about that cost and they will install it properly for you. They aren't fancy and they don't have all the pretty covers you can get now, but they are safe and at our firestation they will show you how to put an infant in the seat properly. They helped me get one of my seats adjusted once when I was having a hard time with it.
[/b]
MORE INFO!!! We need a second car seat, and $80+ for an approriate seat isn't in our budget.

Back on topic: I thought police COULD pull you over, if they saw it? I was older at the time, but my grandma had me sitting on my aunts lap inthe front seat, "double buckled", and the police said I needed my own seat belt inthe back seat and gave my grandma a ticket. [This was in New York, about 13 years ago - so things may hav echanged since then.]
May 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
A friend just emailed me this (we live in WA)
Quote:
In less than two weeks, Washington's child safety restraint law will go into effect.

Children under 8 years old or under 4 feet 9 inches need to be in a booster seat.

After June 1, those violating the law will be ticketed.
As part of the child restraint law, children under 13 will be required to ride in the back seat. Infants must also be placed in rear-facing car seats until age one.[/b]

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search