Do you find this odd or just different?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Breastfeeding video. I'm not sure of my opinion yet. I think I'm still in shock.

http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/17749

May 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hmmmm.....I vote for odd. I'm sorry, that's just too long to continue breastfeeding.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I wouldn't be comfortable with it.
I don't know enough about child psychology to know whether or not it's a healthy thing to do for a child that age.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This has actually been discussed on the breastfeeding debate board, but obviously not as many people go there...

My thoughts? I personally see nothing wrong with it. Breastmilk doesn't suddenly stop being good at age 3, or 4, or whatever age people would like to deem "the limit". These children aren't being abused... so what's the problem?
May 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
This is definitely the first time I have actually seen a child that old still breastfeeding. I guess it works for their family. I kind of wonder if the kids are forming an abnormal attachment to it though.

I guess it is hard for me to decide because it's not everyday that you see a kid that age hanging on mom's boob.

May 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Quote:
This is definitely the first time I have actually seen a child that old still breastfeeding. I guess it works for their family. I kind of wonder if the kids are forming an abnormal attachment to it though.

I guess it is hard for me to decide because it's not everyday that you see a kid that age hanging on mom's boob.[/b]
But the older one DID give it up! And soon, i'm sure the younger one will too... It's only natural. So how can they be having "an unhealthy attachment"??
May 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Well I wonder if the older one chose to give it up or had to because of supply or something. They didn't say why she stopped.

May 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Well I wonder if the older one chose to give it up or had to because of supply or something. They didn't say why she stopped.[/b]
I highly doubt that after THAT many years of successful nursing, supply all of a sudden became an issue. I bet you it was just the normal child-led weaning. Children WILL naturally wean themselves... i think the worldwide average is 4-5 years or something like that. But it stands to reason if that is the AVERAGE, some children can still go on for a couple years longer, and be perfectly normal, healthy, and well-adjusted.
May 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I wonder if people who think that this is ok would feel any differently if the child was a boy?

May 9th, 2007, 05:19 PM
chloe82
Blech. Sorry, but it grosses me out. I find it inappropriate.
May 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
I too find it inappropiate. I agree with you, sbwolfer on whether or not she will/has developed an abnormal attachment to it. I definately think some ppl would react diffrently i fit was a boy. I remember a couple of yrs back a mother was charged w/ child abuse for still continuing to BF her son who was 9(the charges were later dropped) .Let me see if i can find a link or something.

eta: nope couldn't find one right now

May 9th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That family seems to all be comfortable and happy with their arrangements. The child is not being forced to continue to bf, and the mother even tells her "no monkey business", so it definitely seems as though it is a choice that the child is making. I think that it's inappropriate that they have been allowed to play with mom's breasts as she gets dressed, and that they have named them - that definitely goes beyond the realm of feeding and I feel that the inappropriateness would be amplified if the children were boys.

All said and done, it's not something that I'm comfortable with for myself and my own family, but everyone is different.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
May 9th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Quote:
I wonder if people who think that this is ok would feel any differently if the child was a boy?[/b]
Nope... why would i? It's not a sexual thing... it's a feeding and comfort thing.

Quote:
Blech. Sorry, but it grosses me out. I find it inappropriate.[/b]
Why?

Quote:
I too find it inappropiate. I agree with you, sbwolfer on whether or not she will/has developed an abnormal attachment to it. I definately think some ppl would react diffrently i fit was a boy. I remember a couple of yrs back a mother was charged w/ child abuse for still continuing to BF her son who was 9(the charges were later dropped) .Let me see if i can find a link or something.

eta: nope couldn't find one right now[/b]
Could it be that the charges were dropped because THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT? Hmmm...
May 9th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I find it strange. Never heard of a child BF that long. I did watch that video and found it disturbing.
May 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Honestly, I don't like it, and I think it's stupid for an 8 year old child to be breastfeeding. She can eat FOOD, she doesn't need breastmilk! That said, they have the right to breastfeed as long as they want, so whatever. As long as I don't have to look at it lol!
And yes, I do think it's a little bit of an unhealthy attatchment.
May 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if people who think that this is ok would feel any differently if the child was a boy?[/b]
Nope... why would i? It's not a sexual thing... it's a feeding and comfort thing. Nope... why would i? It's not a sexual thing... it's a feeding and comfort thing.

Quote:
Blech. Sorry, but it grosses me out. I find it inappropriate.[/b]
Why?

Quote:

eta: nope couldn't find one right now[/b]
So would you expose your breasts to an 8 year old boy? If there is nothing sexual about breasts would it bother you if some other woman exposed her breasts to your 8 year old boy?

Yes, breastfeeding is for feeding purposes and comfort. But at age 8 the child is able to eat on her own and should have developed other more independent ways to comfort herself.

Could it be that the charges were dropped because THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT? Hmmm...
[/b]

May 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
It's different because it's his mom, it's not just some random woman showing him her breasts.
May 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Quote:
It's different because it's his mom, it's not just some random woman showing him her breasts.[/b]
Exactly...
May 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I just think if we are going for nature and such that there are no other mammals that breastfeed that long.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search