Baby starves, parents get life in prison

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM
donomama
This was brought up in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own:

Quote:
A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.

Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell imposed the mandatory sentences on Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31. Their son, Crown Shakur, weighed just 3 1/2 pounds when he died of starvation on April 25, 2004.[/b]

Quote:
Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

But prosecutors said the couple intentionally neglected their child and refused to take him to the doctor even as the baby’s body wasted away.[/b]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

What do you think - do they deserve their sentence of life in prison?
May 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Pure Innocence
Yes.
May 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
A baby should not suffer a agonizing death because of the parent's belief. I think I would buy the parent's naive ways if they were younger but they were 27 and 31.
May 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I just read about this too! If this child really did die from starvation then of course they should be sentenced. Life in prison sounds fair to me (although my meaner side would say starve them!).

Why were they feeding a 6 week old soy milk? Why not soy formula? Are there animal products in soy formula?

May 9th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Pure Innocence
Why not breastmilk? lol~~ oh wait, that comes from an animal....
May 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Quote:
I just read about this too! If this child really did die from starvation then of course they should be sentenced. Life in prison sounds fair to me (although my meaner side would say starve them!).

Why were they feeding a 6 week old soy milk? Why not soy formula? Are there animal products in soy formula?[/b]
We looked this up at work (nothing better to do ) and yes there are animal products even in the soy formula.

Quote:
Why not breastmilk? lol~~ oh wait, that comes from an animal....[/b]
I totally agree with this also but from what people said at work (I did not see a picture) they did not look the healthiest either.
May 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes they deserve life imprisonment..
May 9th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Why were they feeding a 6 week old soy milk? Why not soy formula? Are there animal products in soy formula?[/b]
We looked this up at work (nothing better to do ) and yes there are animal products even in the soy formula.

Quote:
Why not breastmilk? lol~~ oh wait, that comes from an animal....[/b]
I totally agree with this also but from what people said at work (I did not see a picture) they did not look the healthiest either.
[/b]

Thanks, I was just going to look that up. Now I'm wondering what other vegans feed their babies. Do they generally use breastmilk? If so, why didn't this woman do that.

Off to do some research!

May 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think vegans typically breastfeed their children. I don't know why this couple didn't... it is such a sad story!!

May 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM
donomama
They said that they didn't know the baby was starving to death, but I just read another article that said when the baby was brought into the hospital, just before his death, doctors could count every bone in his body through his skin. I'm trying to find out how much he weighed at birth.
May 9th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Pure Innocence
Did the Dr.'s not do anything? If not, they should be stripped from practicing medicine ever again.
May 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
donomama
He was brought into the hospital the same day he died, apparently. I'm sure they tried to do all they could. The parents never took him to a doctor until they brought him to the hospital in the very end.
May 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ok I did find formula that is almost completely organic and vegan. The only non vegan component in it is add vitamin D that has been derived from sheep's wool.

Here's a link about soy formula. It mentions that babies that are fed soy formula receive the equivalent of 5 birth control pills a day.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/soy.htm

May 9th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Pure Innocence
I just don't get it....they want their baby to be vegan because it's healthier but yet they are starving their kid. And THAT'S healthy? w/e....lol
May 10th, 2007, 06:00 AM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to EmilysMommy04
They should get life in prison. What kind of idiot doesnt give there child the food they need. To me its selfish to take a baby and feed them vegan style . That baby cannot survive . As they have already learned. Personally If it were me reguardless of my beliefs my childs health would come before my beliefs. grrrr people like this make me so flipping mad and sick to my stomach.

May 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
If the mum had nursed, it wouldn't happened!

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

May 10th, 2007, 07:11 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
They absolutely deserve a life sentence. It is one thing to be Vegan and be EDUCATED about it, it's quite another to not BF the baby and feed it soymilk and juice. ***?! I read that the baby was 3 lbs when he was brought to the hospital How could they not know?!!?
May 10th, 2007, 07:37 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I agree. If you can't BF for some reason, then you need to bite the bullet and do what you need to do to ensure your baby doesn't starve. Gaaah... That upsets me.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 10th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes!!!!! I understand they have their own beliefs as vegans but a child may not be able to sustain himself/herself on that kind of diet (obviously, look what happened). If BFing was not possible and they did not know of the existence of vegan formula (they didn't do much research did they if one of the posters could find it at a moment's notice), then they should have used regular formula and switched the child to a vegan diet at a year old! I don't know if this is stupidity or what, but life in prison seems fair to me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search