Is it possible not to know you are pregnant?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Pure Innocence
Is it possible to go through a full term pregnancy and not know you are pregnant until you give birth?
May 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard stories of it... especially if a woman has an anterior placenta (I think that's the term), she wouldn't feel the kicks. But as for the weight gain and the obvious hardening of the stomach... I don't know; it seems weird.

However, I do have to say at almost 7 months pregnant, there are days that I forget I'm pregnant (of course, until Sebastian kicks me hard!).

May 9th, 2007, 08:36 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I hadn't heard first hand stories of this happening I would say no way in heck! But, I have heard a couple of different people who have been through this. One was on Tv, so it wasn't personal, but the other person was personal. She didn't go unknowing until birth, but it was a good 7 months or so before she figured out she was pregnant. She was overweight and breastfeeding, and a mother of 7 already, so it slipped on by for 7+ months.

Very odd, if you ask me.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

May 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM
donomama
I don't see how I could not know I was pregnant, but I guess it has happened. I actually know a woman IRL that it happened to. She was divorcing her husband and I guess had a "one last time" sort of thing after they separated. Well, she didn't realize that she was pregnant until she was about 7 months along. She is pretty thin too. Although, I do have to say that she doesn't seem to be playing with a full deck, if you know what I mean...
May 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I have heard stories about this too but don't know anyone who has gone through this.

I have an anterior placenta right now and I have felt this little guy kicking me since I was about 22 weeks. I can see missing some of the symptoms. I never had morning sickness.

I wonder how rare it is to not have any pregnancy symptoms. I also wonder if these women experienced symptoms and either ignored them or confused it with something else.

May 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I knew a daughter of a woman who had just had a baby and then got pregnant so she never really changed body shape, and didnt feel any movements or if she did, thought she was just sorta remembering the feelings and missing pregnancy

May 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
We’ve all seen the news that shows a proud mother cradling her newborn, but looking baffled – she didn’t know she was pregnant until she was in labor. (That’s the news portion of the story.) For those who have been pregnant before, we’re perplexed and puzzled. After all, how can you miss all of the pregnancy signs and symptoms of pregnancy? Most women are chomping at the bit to take a pregnancy test the minute their period is late.

According to research, the state of denied pregnancy is not uncommon. In fact, not knowing you are pregnant until you are 20 weeks pregnant happens in about 1 in 475 pregnancies.

They add that denial of pregnancy at 20 weeks' gestation or later (one in 475 pregnancies) occurs more often than Rh disease and some other things we think of as fairly rare.
While it is a bit more rare to not know until you’re in labor, about one in 2,455 births. Though when you put that into perspective, you learn that you’re actually three times more likely to give birth without knowing you were pregnant than you are to give birth to triplets! (1 in 7,225 pregnancies) In fact, when researchers extrapolated the data to a country like Germany, it found that about 300 mothers a year would not know they were pregnant until they started labor.

The researchers are proposing that a specific category of medical classification be added under reproductive dysfunction for negated pregnancies. This would include denied or concealed pregnancies. It may also include false pregnancy (pseudocyesis), obsessive desire to have children and other pathological behavior of a mother towards her offspring.

This is not a problem with only a certain subset of women, it happens in every socioeconomic group, race, religion, etc. Either way the bottom line is that not knowing your pregnant, even for 20 weeks of pregnancy, has the potential to risk the health of the mother and baby.

Source: Denied and concealed pregnancies. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 2006; 61: 723-30.

Surprise births not uncommon. British Medical Journal 2002; 324: 458.[/b]
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/conditionsco...enpregnancy.htm

I think some of the cases are women in denial, and then others are due to medical conditions. Some women do have bleeding through their pregnancies which could be mistaken for a period. Some women have very irregular periods. Some women are overweight and the symptoms might be masked. I agree, it is a crazy phenomenon, I knew I was pregnant with DS even before I could get a positive pregnancy test. I took ten tests over memorial day weekend that all came up negative, my DH thought I was nuts when I still insisted on going to the doc for a blood test.

May 10th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Marissa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Marissa Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa
I've heard it happening, read stories in a magazine etc.

Having the experience of pregnancy, once, i knew i was pregnant, all the synptoms were right in my face, not the meniton AF being completely MIA. I had symptoms really early on, so i knew that it was different to any of my other cycles.

Now i know what to look out for when i do get pregnant again. I guess some woman don't get pregnancy symptoms and continue to have their period, or go into denial about being pregnant which causes this.
May 10th, 2007, 03:59 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
It doesn't make a lot of sense that a woman wouldn't be able to realize she was pregnant. I've heard stories about it though. I think if a woman was overweight, had irregular periods, and didn't suffer with any symptoms then I could see how she wouldn't know right away.

How scary would it be to start going into labor and have NO idea what is going on?

</div>
May 10th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
I've heard stories of it too..
But I don't believe it! lol

I have a virtual friends who found out she was preggo at 28 weeks..
She was not very thin (if you know what I mean) and she didn't gain any weight, but she felt the kicks!

Going into labor without knowing what's going on? don't believe it!

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

May 10th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Just imagine how poor the prenatal care would have been for these women!! If you don't know that you're pregnant, you can't adjust your lifestyle (including eliminating tobacco and alcohol and other items out of your diet).

May 10th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I suppose it's possible since it's happened. I don't understand how it's possible to be that out of touch with your own body though!!
May 10th, 2007, 06:34 AM
The woman I spoke of literally didnt know until she was delivering, she just thought she had HORRIBLE stomach cramps, and delivered in the Ambulance on the way to the hospital. The grandmother (the lady I work with) said the certificate reads born at "intersection road A and B"

May 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM
mommyKathyX3
I had a big ole response typed up cause this is a peeve of mine, but the computer ate it, so I'll just quickly sum it up.

Mother is either mentally in denial, or mentally having something wrong with them, or something is wrong with the baby. Not knowing until youre 6-7 months, yes I can see it, cause of many reasons. Periods continuing, very little wieght gain, anterior placenta, etc. But to go through a full term pregnancy and not ever know. Nope, dont believe a totally mentally stable woman would not know SOMETHING was going on with thier body, something major.
May 10th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I dont think it is that black and white, and certainly dont think you can say that a mom is mentally unstable if she doesnt know!

May 10th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Quote:
I dont think it is that black and white, and certainly dont think you can say that a mom is mentally unstable if she doesnt know![/b]
I agree. I wasn't there when one of my husband's family members experienced pregnancy without knowing it (she thought she had appendicitis when she went into the hospital), but I know that she was not mentally unstable and I think it's wrong to say that if someone is unaware of being pregnant that they are.

And for the record, this woman had what she thought was a period her entire pregnancy, was overweight to begin with so didn't really gain much weight at all, never experienced morning sickness, backaches or anything. And as far as I know, appendix pain is very similar to labor pain (or so I've heard... I haven't had appendicitis myself), and all women have different levels of pain tolerance.

Also, my husband's grandmother was told she had a tumor when she was pregnant with my husband's father... but then again, that was many years ago, so maybe she really just didn't know any better.

I don't know... having been pregnant myself, it seems very odd to me, but I suppose it is possible.

May 10th, 2007, 08:08 AM
mommyKathyX3
I didnt say LABOR, I said pregnancy. I can see how someone could mistaken labor as something else like stomach cramps or whatever. Women who KNOW they are pregnant sometimes end up delivering at home cause they dont think they are in labor. I'm speaking of the pregnancy ITSELF. That last month or two I dont care if you are flippin 700 lbs you can FEEL that baby moving. (unless like I said there is something wrong with the baby) And I'm not talking those flutters, or little kicks, I'm talking like you feel like the movie Alien where the alien gets ready to bust through thier body. Its NOT like gas or indigestion or whatever anyone else thinks, its different. I think if they dont "know" they are pregnant, they know something is major going on, and they just are too scared/stubborn to go to the doctor (denial). You can NOT be completly unaware that SOMTHING is going on. Sorry, not buying it for a second.

I'm makeing sure you understand I mean in the later term of pregnancy. 32 weeks and up. Up to 30-32 weeks, I could see some women mistaking things for other stuff.
May 10th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Quote:
I didnt say LABOR, I said pregnancy. I can see how someone could mistaken labor as something else like stomach cramps or whatever. Women who KNOW they are pregnant sometimes end up delivering at home cause they dont think they are in labor. I'm speaking of the pregnancy ITSELF. That last month or two I dont care if you are flippin 700 lbs you can FEEL that baby moving. (unless like I said there is something wrong with the baby) And I'm not talking those flutters, or little kicks, I'm talking like you feel like the movie Alien where the alien gets ready to bust through thier body. Its NOT like gas or indigestion or whatever anyone else thinks, its different. I think if they dont "know" they are pregnant, they know something is major going on, and they just are too scared/stubborn to go to the doctor (denial). You can NOT be completly unaware that SOMTHING is going on. Sorry, not buying it for a second.

I'm makeing sure you understand I mean in the later term of pregnancy. 32 weeks and up. Up to 30-32 weeks, I could see some women mistaking things for other stuff.[/b]
I still don't know... I think I've read of medical conditions that can hide fetal movement, even at the late stages. I still need to do further research on that.

May 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
Quote:

I'm makeing sure you understand I mean in the later term of pregnancy. 32 weeks and up. Up to 30-32 weeks, I could see some women mistaking things for other stuff.[/b]
I still don't know... I think I've read of medical conditions that can hide fetal movement, even at the late stages. I still need to do further research on that.
[/b]
I know one is sometimes that is possible (hense my "something wrong with the baby" senario) but those are SOOOO rare. If you find some, post them, I'd love to see them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search