Distrust of medical profession on JM

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
So get a second opinion. The main instance I am thinking of was one of a diagnosis - the woman's doctor gave her a diagnosis, but, according to her own "internet research" she diagnosed the condition as something different.[/b]
That point has been debated before. Some of us HAVE been given incorrect diagnosis and went back to our doctors with our "internet research" and ended up getting the correct diagnosis after that. We have every right to try be informed participants in our own healthcare.
May 10th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Quote:
I totally agree with you Ann. I have literally seen people on here say that their doctor told them one thing, and they did their "internet research" and went against doctor's orders. I'm not talking about stuff like supplementing formula or anything like that - I'm talking real issues. I am amazed at the number of people that think that doctors are out to get them. I totally think that you should do as much research as you can, but never, ever, does doing internet research equal a medical degree.

And doctor's aren't out to get us![/b]

That's the stuff I'm talking about...just a general distrust. Taking research on the internet over their doctor's 8 years of medical school....that stuff. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think Docs are the be all, end all of knowledge but I definately take what they say into consideration and don't conclude that they are screwballs. This is something I've noticed my entire time on JM and not just recently.....and it's not just OB's that are the target....pediatricians and other docs come into play on occasion too.
[/b]
8 Years of medical school in an industry constantly envolving in a field that women have been having and raising kids without for thousands of years and now have access to much of the information the current doctors do.

Quote:
That point has been debated before. Some of us HAVE been given incorrect diagnosis and went back to our doctors with our "internet research" and ended up getting the correct diagnosis after that. We have every right to try be informed participants in our own healthcare.[/b]
The power of being informed is what scares people into thinking they are not educated.. yet would be the first to speak of motherly instinct.
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I totally agree with you Ann. I have literally seen people on here say that their doctor told them one thing, and they did their "internet research" and went against doctor's orders. I'm not talking about stuff like supplementing formula or anything like that - I'm talking real issues. I am amazed at the number of people that think that doctors are out to get them. I totally think that you should do as much research as you can, but never, ever, does doing internet research equal a medical degree.

That's the stuff I'm talking about...just a general distrust. Taking research on the internet over their doctor's 8 years of medical school....that stuff. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think Docs are the be all, end all of knowledge but I definately take what they say into consideration and don't conclude that they are screwballs. This is something I've noticed my entire time on JM and not just recently.....and it's not just OB's that are the target....pediatricians and other docs come into play on occasion too.
[/b]
8 Years of medical school in an industry constantly envolving in a field that women have been having and raising kids without for thousands of years and now have access to much of the information the current doctors do.
[/b]
Okay. 8 years of medical school, continuing education and how ever many years of experience they have. Once again, I'm not just talking about the OB field. Other docs are questioned too.
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
By the way, I do think there's a difference between being informed about your choices regarding your health and completely ignoring what your doctor has to say. While doctors may be trained only one way, it isn't like they're all close-minded idiots who are only focused on one method.

May 10th, 2007, 08:18 AM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

[/b]
But we're talking all doctors here, not just OB/GYN's.
May 10th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Pure Innocence
There are so many possiblities when it comes to pregnancy and childbirth, that is why women choose to be informed and edcuated and to question their Dr's opinions.

When it comes to health, regular Dr's.....there aren't too many opinions on "what to do if you have Bronchii"...
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Okay. 8 years of medical school, continuing education and how ever many years of experience they have. Once again, I'm not just talking about the OB field. Other docs are questioned too.[/b]
Right and moms have been around for how long?

Quote:
By the way, I do think there's a difference between being informed about your choices regarding your health and completely ignoring what your doctor has to say. While doctors may be trained only one way, it isn't like they're all close-minded idiots who are only focused on one method.[/b]
I agree!

Quote:
But we're talking all doctors here, not just OB/GYN's.[/b]
And we are speaking of moms. Moms have been around way longer than any doctor.
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Quote:
Quote:
So get a second opinion. The main instance I am thinking of was one of a diagnosis - the woman's doctor gave her a diagnosis, but, according to her own "internet research" she diagnosed the condition as something different.[/b]
That point has been debated before. Some of us HAVE been given incorrect diagnosis and went back to our doctors with our "internet research" and ended up getting the correct diagnosis after that. We have every right to try be informed participants in our own healthcare.
[/b]
Absolutely. Be informed, take the info to the doctor (especially if you feel its significant info). But be aware that YOU know your normal more than a doctor will know your normal. They go on facts. I recently had strep throat. I could have called and said "I have a sore throat". It has never been THAT sore in my life...so, I KNEW that was something out of my "normal" range. The doctor did a rapid test that came back positive. This illustrates that we know ourselves. Doctors aren't perfect and can make mistakes and misdiagnose. Sometimes I think that comes from people not giving doctors all their symptoms etc though. At any rate...no one is suggesting not doing research or trusting your own instincts. But I would never rely on the internet to diagnose a problem. I use that for GUIDANCE ONLY...and to use in helping point the doctor in a possible direction. Ultimately, I trust THEIR medical education.

May 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
And I'm not so naive that I am ignorant to the fact that medical mistakes happen. I know they do. If internet research proves your doc wrong and you go back with that info. and he/she changes your treatment and diagnosis...that's great! I don't know. I guess I'm biased cause my mom is the nursing director in a well-known pediatrics practice in Indy, so I hear other sides of the story. One example is that docs prescribe antibiotics all the time and there have been debates on JM on evil docs prescribing unneeded antibiotics to patients. Most docs are bombarded by ticked off parents that demand their child be put on antibiotics over the phone, without being seen and are even more p!ssed when the doc refuses. Moms don't always know best. I feel like I'm rambling...sorry!
May 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
And I'm not so naive that I am ignorant to the fact that medical mistakes happen. I know they do. If internet research proves your doc wrong and you go back with that info. and he/she changes your treatment and diagnosis...that's great! I don't know. I guess I'm biased cause my mom is the nursing director in a well-known pediatrics practice in Indy, so I hear other sides of the story. One example is that docs prescribe antibiotics all the time and there have been debates on JM on evil docs prescribing unneeded antibiotics to patients. Most docs are bombarded by ticked off parents that demand their child be put on antibiotics over the phone, without being seen and are even more p!ssed when the doc refuses. Moms don't always know best. I feel like I'm rambling...sorry![/b]
You know I agree with you here too. There are many parents that expect doctors to have all the responsibility (which I already covered in my first post) when they need to be taking responsbility in rearing their own kids and being informed to help their kids.
May 10th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Okay. 8 years of medical school, continuing education and how ever many years of experience they have. Once again, I'm not just talking about the OB field. Other docs are questioned too.[/b]
Right and moms have been around for how long?

Quote:
By the way, I do think there's a difference between being informed about your choices regarding your health and completely ignoring what your doctor has to say. While doctors may be trained only one way, it isn't like they're all close-minded idiots who are only focused on one method.[/b]
I agree!

Quote:
But we're talking all doctors here, not just OB/GYN's.[/b]
And we are speaking of moms. Moms have been around way longer than any doctor.
[/b]

So, you would take a mom's opinion on your child's illness over a docs? I don't believe that for a second. You would not go to a dermatologist if you had a severe rash because the mom down the street says it's no big deal?
May 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
And I'm not so naive that I am ignorant to the fact that medical mistakes happen. I know they do. If internet research proves your doc wrong and you go back with that info. and he/she changes your treatment and diagnosis...that's great! I don't know. I guess I'm biased cause my mom is the nursing director in a well-known pediatrics practice in Indy, so I hear other sides of the story. One example is that docs prescribe antibiotics all the time and there have been debates on JM on evil docs prescribing unneeded antibiotics to patients. Most docs are bombarded by ticked off parents that demand their child be put on antibiotics over the phone, without being seen and are even more p!ssed when the doc refuses. Moms don't always know best. I feel like I'm rambling...sorry![/b]
I also agree with this. There are two sides. There are two extremes, and I don't agree with the extremes, but I do agree with becoming informed and educated yourself and working WITH your Dr. for your health.

I wonder if it would be best if Dr.'s offered "hey I think antibiotics would work, would you like to go this route?" or something like that. I don't know...
May 10th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I also agree with this. There are two sides. There are two extremes, and I don't agree with the extremes, but I do agree with becoming informed and educated yourself and working WITH your Dr. for your health.

I wonder if it would be best if Dr.'s offered "hey I think antibiotics would work, would you like to go this route?" or something like that. I don't know...
[/b]
You're right; the extreme of total control over your health and not listening any medical professional would be bad and the extreme of being blindly led by a medical professional without doing your own research and educating your self would be bad too.
May 10th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
You're right; the extreme of total control over your health and not listening any medical professional would be bad and the extreme of being blindly led by a medical professional without doing your own research and educating your self would be bad too.
[/b]
Exactly, I completely agree with this.
May 10th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
So, you would take a mom's opinion on your child's illness over a docs? I don't believe that for a second. You would not go to a dermatologist if you had a severe rash because the mom down the street says it's no big deal?[/b]
Why the assumption I would take someone else's word for anything? We are talking about educating ourselves as responsible parents because we all know that the medical community is limited. If my mom was a midwife or someone who I know had knowledge in that field, I would consider her opinion just like a doctors. It's a judgement call and my judgement isn't that bad either.
May 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
And we are speaking of moms. Moms have been around way longer than any doctor.[/b]
True, but I haven't been a mom for as long as my doctor has been an ob, or a parent for that matter as he has a couple of kids my age. As much as I read to try to stay informed, there are times when his knowledge is going to be greater than mine and I have to trust it. That doesn't mean that I would necesarily do a complete 180 on an issue, but if I'm on the fence about something I would trust his opinion.

It's about finding a doctor that will work with you and seriously consider concerns you have, or research you present. A doctor that explains his reasoning instead of just saying yes or no and has a more team mentality toward care.

There are some doctors who are only in it for the prestige and money. Those are the individuals who tend to think they're god and the ones we have to do our best to avoid. The majority of people become doctors because they love the study of medicine and genuinely want to help people. I'm willing to bet those type of people want to listen and work with their patients.

May 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
You're right; the extreme of total control over your health and not listening any medical professional would be bad and the extreme of being blindly led by a medical professional without doing your own research and educating your self would be bad too.[/b]
This statement shows me you and I aren't that far from understanding each other.
May 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't trust a certain medical field, not because they are wrong, or not out for my best intrest but due to my own fears and knowing their sulution would not be the best for me. I take everything with a grain of salt and look it up when I get home. Not that I don't follow the dr.'s advice but so I can call with any conserns.

May 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I'm one of those people who thinks that every ailment can be cured by going to the chiropractor LOL! (well not really but I rarely go to an actualy doctor)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search