Distrust of medical profession on JM

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The seems to be a general distrust and, dare I say, hatred of medical personnel with some mommies on JM. I'm all for holistic healing and herbs but, I personally put more creedence into people who have attended medical school (with the exception of trained and certified midwives). What's the deal ladies? Do you not like doctors?
May 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
The seems to be a general distrust and, dare I say, hatred of medical personnel with some mommies on JM. I'm all for holistic healing and herbs but, I personally put more creedence into people who have attended medical school (with the exception of trained and certified midwives). What's the deal ladies? Do you not like doctors?[/b]
I love doctors I would prefer to go to a physician who has 8 years of schooling, including specialized training. It's not even a question for me. But, I agree with you, I have seen this general distrust of the medical profession and as much as I try, I cannot understand it.
May 10th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Tofu Bacon
I haven't noticed a distrust...do you have some examples?
May 10th, 2007, 07:31 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love doctors, but I don't like it when doctors demean the women they are treating. I feel like I got that once or twice (before I switched doctors). I don't distrust the medical profession, but I think that gaining a patient's trust is important. I won't go to a doctor who acts as if he/she is God.

May 10th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I love doctors, but I don't like it when doctors demean the women they are treating. I feel like I got that once or twice (before I switched doctors). I don't distrust the medical profession, but I think that gaining a patient's trust is important. I won't go to a doctor who acts as if he/she is God.[/b]
May 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
The seems to be a general distrust and, dare I say, hatred of medical personnel with some mommies on JM. I'm all for holistic healing and herbs but, I personally put more creedence into people who have attended medical school (with the exception of trained and certified midwives). What's the deal ladies? Do you not like doctors?[/b]
I think the more I learn about childbearing and doctors, I think there has been a huge shift in responsibility and understanding..

For example, I went to a waterbirthing seminar and the guest speaker spoke of going to the American OB/GYN convention and set up a booth. They were the only booth that had a video's of childbirth. Of course they were not only natural, but also in the water. She had so many medical professionals come up to the booth and say they had no idea that birthing could be done like that..

I bring this story up because it's not even the medical community's fault. We have allowed the medical community complete control over the childbearing experience. And honestly, that's not fair to them, us or the actual baby being birthed. There are places in the US where there is a 98% epi rate. Why? Because it's just standard and women agree to it. The lack of education about choices isn't out there to the medical community nor the women having babies. This is not the doctor's fault. Insurance companies, hospitals and lawyers have to have standards for their doctors. So whatever the newest recommended guidelines are, that becomes standard. This area is one of the fastest growing levels of information of the medical fields so of course the policies of hospitals and recommended standards aren't keeping up. To their credit, many women have given their power over to them anyway so it's not really a horrible crisis. (It's just not what I accept.)

I absolutely feel that doctors and their knowledge have a place ~ for about 5-10% of births. (10% being overly conservative.) But that would require women to take back their knowledge of childbearing. Honestly, I think there is a huge amount of women happy with the status quo. On the flip side, there are lots of women who are indeed met with hostility for taking back some claim to the way birthing could be.. those are the stories we hear lots of because we are on a mommies forum.
May 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ agree.

Docs are just doing what they've been taught and how they are taught to think, but I think moms are learning that they are consumers, and have a right to be in charge of their choices and care

May 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
I think the more I learn about childbearing and doctors, I think there has been a huge shift in responsibility and understanding..

For example, I went to a waterbirthing seminar and the guest speaker spoke of going to the American OB/GYN convention and set up a booth. They were the only booth that had a video's of childbirth. Of course they were not only natural, but also in the water. She had so many medical professionals come up to the booth and say they had no idea that birthing could be done like that..

I bring this story up because it's not even the medical community's fault. We have allowed the medical community complete control over the childbearing experience. And honestly, that's not fair to them, us or the actual baby being birthed. There are places in the US where there is a 98% epi rate. Why? Because it's just standard and women agree to it. The lack of education about choices isn't out there to the medical community nor the women having babies. This is not the doctor's fault. Insurance companies, hospitals and lawyers have to have standards for their doctors. So whatever the newest recommended guidelines are, that becomes standard. This area is one of the fastest growing levels of information of the medical fields so of course the policies of hospitals and recommended standards aren't keeping up. To their credit, many women have given their power over to them anyway so it's not really a horrible crisis. (It's just not what I accept.)

I absolutely feel that doctors and their knowledge have a place ~ for about 5-10% of births. (10% being overly conservative.) But that would require women to take back their knowledge of childbearing. Honestly, I think there is a huge amount of women happy with the status quo. On the flip side, there are lots of women who are indeed met with hostility for taking back some claim to the way birthing could be.. those are the stories we hear lots of because we are on a mommies forum.
[/b]
May 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Tofu Bacon
^^Its more about trusting our own bodies than about "distrusting doctors"
May 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I haven't noticed a distrust...do you have some examples?[/b]
Please tell me you are being sarcastic?

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
May 10th, 2007, 08:05 AM
donomama
I totally agree with you Ann. I have literally seen people on here say that their doctor told them one thing, and they did their "internet research" and went against doctor's orders. I'm not talking about stuff like supplementing formula or anything like that - I'm talking real issues. I am amazed at the number of people that think that doctors are out to get them. I totally think that you should do as much research as you can, but never, ever, does doing internet research equal a medical degree.

And doctor's aren't out to get us!
May 10th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
No... this thread explains about there not being a distrust. If she can provide an example of someone saying all Dr.'s are stupid idiots who don't care about the well-being of anyone they practice medicine on....THAT would be distrust.
May 10th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I dont think they are out to get us, however I dont think they are fully informed on ALL issues of pregnancy and childbirth... they are trained on ONE method, their method, and there are many that aren't fully informed on all the options for moms... even midwives and docs disagree

May 10th, 2007, 08:07 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
No... this thread explains about there not being a distrust. If she can provide an example of someone saying all Dr.'s are stupid idiots who don't care about the well-being of anyone they practice medicine on....THAT would be distrust.
[/b]
This thread can't speak for everyone who participates in the debate board I have seen it, and it wasn't from any of the ladies that have already posted.
May 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I also think insurance liability fuels many of their decisions, like inducing, higher sections, using pitocin to speed labor, not letting mom go more than a certain number of hours in labor... I really do understand, and know that they are restricted in some of their options by what the hospital tells them. I'd rather not be dictated to by an insurance company and doc liability

May 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I totally agree with you Ann. I have literally seen people on here say that their doctor told them one thing, and they did their "internet research" and went against doctor's orders. I'm not talking about stuff like supplementing formula or anything like that - I'm talking real issues. I am amazed at the number of people that think that doctors are out to get them. I totally think that you should do as much research as you can, but never, ever, does doing internet research equal a medical degree.

And doctor's aren't out to get us![/b]
What women are referring to in instances such as this is a Dr's opinion on what is best for mom and baby based on their previous experience and opinion. Not their medical degree. Of course their opinion given to their patient also follows the correct practice of the medical degree they have, but it's also not always the best advice given to the patient as it's give to the patient for the purpose of making things easier on the Dr.
May 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM
and I think we've all posted before on things like formula where these companies pay millions and millions to docs and their professional boards and agencies... that HAS to have an effect on how docs speak to their patients about options

May 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:

What women are referring to in instances such as this is a Dr's opinion on what is best for mom and baby based on their previous experience and opinion. Not their medical degree. Of course their opinion given to their patient also follows the correct practice of the medical degree they have, but it's also not always the best advice given to the patient as it's give to the patient for the purpose of making things easier on the Dr.
[/b]

So get a second opinion. The main instance I am thinking of was one of a diagnosis - the woman's doctor gave her a diagnosis, but, according to her own "internet research" she diagnosed the condition as something different.
May 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I trust my doctors. Not blindly of course, I think that's when people get into trouble. But with some of your own knowledge of yourself and what's "normal" for you coupled with a doctor's opinion...to me, that seems to be the way to go.

May 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

That's the stuff I'm talking about...just a general distrust. Taking research on the internet over their doctor's 8 years of medical school....that stuff. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think Docs are the be all, end all of knowledge but I definately take what they say into consideration and don't conclude that they are screwballs. This is something I've noticed my entire time on JM and not just recently.....and it's not just OB's that are the target....pediatricians and other docs come into play on occasion too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search