Benadryl for Babies

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Pure Innocence
My sister is going to England in August and her Dr. just recommended giving Alyssa benadryl so she sleeps during the plane ride. Alyssa will be 16months old....ok so not really a "baby" anymore. LOL!

Thoughts?!?!
May 11th, 2007, 06:34 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
I don't know the age requirements for Benadryl but I think it would be safe if the doctor suggested it. Flying overseas is long and boring so she might be really fussy and need the Benadryl. Just depends.

</div>
May 11th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I don't know the age requirements for Benadryl but I think it would be safe if the doctor suggested it. Flying overseas is long and boring so she might be really fussy and need the Benadryl. Just depends.[/b]
Medicating a kid due to being bored is not a good reason. If she needs it because of ears popping and not feeling well or something, I don't know...I guess, but I thought Benadryl wasn't good for kids.
May 11th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Benadryl can have the reverse effect on some children and make them restless. Be careful

I wouldn't give my child meds for a flight myself, just warning your sister it doesn't make everyone drowsy.

</div>
May 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Benadryl can have the reverse effect on some children and make them restless. Be careful

I wouldn't give my child meds for a flight myself, just warning your sister it doesn't make everyone drowsy.[/b]

My DD is the same way it makes her realllllllly hyper. I would be careful giving it to her if she dosen't know how she handles it. I personally wouldn't give my DD anything if I were going to be flying. Then again I don't think I would even attempt to take her on a really long flight.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
May 11th, 2007, 07:28 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've taken my 12 month old on 8 roundtrip flights so far, including one international trip, and have never medicated her. It has gotten so much worse since she's been active and mobile, so I'm guessing flying with a 16 month old would be even harder. I hate it. Still, I'd have very mixed feelings about medicating her. I've learned to start booking late night flights so she is much more likely to sleep most of the way. I know that flights to Europe are usually overnight flights, but I don't think there is that option for the way back to the US. I'd certainly be nervous about taking such a long flight. If it were me, I'd pack the Benedryl as a last resort if she is just out of control. I wouldn't try it until I see how she is doing without it first.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Pure Innocence
she knows about the hyperness, her dr. told her to "test it" on her dd first....
May 11th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
One of mine had a terrible allergic reaction to something once and had to have benadryl. It was that or some other meds that I was uncomfortable with. The benadryl didn't make the child sleepy though - very much the opposite.

We haven't used it since. That was at 14 months, I believe.[/b]
Ok, but you used it for it's USE. This is about using it just to keep the kid quiet to make things easier on the parents. What is your opinion on that?
May 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Julia has a medication called Attarax, which is for her chronic itching due to a skin condition, but has a side effect of making her drowsy. I've given her Attarax before a long plane trip before, just because I know it'll chill her out. The medication is not harmful for her in any way, shape, or form, so I don't see why it would make someone bad to give it to their child.

I have given her Benedryl before, because we ran out of Attarax and the docs said it was OK. It made her HYYYYYYPER, holy crap. Never again lol

Julia has a medication called Attarax, which is for her chronic itching due to a skin condition, but has a side effect of making her drowsy. I've given her Attarax before a long plane trip before, just because I know it'll chill her out. The medication is not harmful for her in any way, shape, or form, so I don't see why it would make someone bad to give it to their child.

I have given her Benedryl before, because we ran out of Attarax and the docs said it was OK. It made her HYYYYYYPER, holy crap. Never again lol
May 11th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I suppose as long as it's safe, it's alright. But, if it were me, I would wait to see how she did once the plane was up in the air. Some kids might just be lulled to sleep in a plane anyway because of the sounds of the engines. But, I suppose, if she was truly miserable, I would give it to her.
May 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
mommyKathyX3
She's not really a "baby" anymore, more like a toddler and I dont think its that big of a deal. I personally think its not because of "boredom" its comfort of other passengers, the mothers state of mind, the comfort of the child ect. I think if its used occasionally, its not a big deal. Its SO weird how it effects differnt kids differntly. I'd definatly test it first.
May 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know when I take long flights I take a gravol (which is an OTC here in Canada) and it makes me drowsy enough to sleep for the flight, and I have many friends who are nervous flyiers who do the same thing. If it were me I'd pack the Children's Benadryl as a backup if it was needed, but try to distract the toddler with other activities. However, if it was needed than atleast I'd have my backup. I've been on many flights were there were crying babies and restless kids and it was a horrible experience. Nothing worse than being stuck in a flying tin can and getting no peace.

It's true it can have the opposite effect so it would be wise to try it before you fly.
May 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I would try it beforehand and then pack it just in case. There's no way to know how a child is going to react on a plane. I wouldn't use it if the child was just bored, but if she ends up screaming for half the flight it's good to have it in the carry-on. Flying scares me and kills my ears, I can't imagine what it would be like for a little one.
May 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would take it along as a backup, but I wouldn't drug her to start out with.

May 11th, 2007, 01:10 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
If you are concerned about medical risk Dani has been taking Benadryl weekly since 5 months as recommended by her Hemonc Dr prior to infusions and no ill effects. But I totally agree with testing it prior because it makes Dani hyper also. Originally it would help with putting her to sleep but I think she has gotten use to it so it has the exact opposite reaction now.
May 11th, 2007, 01:21 PM
donomama
I have mixed feelings on the situation. My sister gave her 6 month old Benadryl for 6 hour plane ride. I think that it was totally wrong. My SIL, on the other hand, used to live in China. She would fly home to the US alone with her 2 kids on a flight that was about 24 hours. Her kids get so crazed on the flight that they flat out refuse to sleep, and then they are crying, having fits, etc. These kids are 3 and 5. She started giving them Benadryl on the flight and I totally would have done the same, if I was in her situation.
May 11th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
I would take it along as a backup, but I wouldn't drug her to start out with.[/b]
I understand giving it to a child if they totally freak out on the plane. Her Dr. was more saying as just do it for convenience sake so you don't have to hassle with her. THAT I don't agree with.
May 11th, 2007, 01:34 PM
donomama
How long is the flight?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search