Polygamy

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so this is something i've wondered about for quite some time... What exactly is everyone's opinions on polygamy?

For me, i actually have nothing against the IDEA of it. So long as it's all consenting adults involved, i don't see how they're actually hurting anyone...

But i guess the problem comes in when you start looking at the practice. There's SO many other issues involved, that it makes it kind of murky. But i wonder, like in the case of those communities in Utah, why we don't just prosecute for the other crimes, like child abuse and stuff... Why focus on the POLYGAMY aspect, which isn't technically hurting anyone.

I dunno, this is a weird one for me... Any one else have any thoughts?
May 12th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
this is also weird for me

I know it seems the norm for some people ... be it relgious purposes or culture ... hey ... if it works for those folks and its all consenting adults then okay

it's just not for me though ... there's no way I'd be comfortable with it

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
May 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm not sure that it isn't hurting anyone. I think it can be very confusing and possibly even disturbing for the children who end up involved. I have seen some interviews with teenagers who have left the groups (such as the one in Utah) and these teens talked about living life in polygamist families. They said they often felt like they weren't good enough for their father which is why he would go on to make other families.

I think mentally it has to be difficult for some of the women. Most of them were raised in that life so it is the only way they know but it doesn't mean that they are happy in that life. I think a lot of them feel trapped in that lifestyle.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if my husband wanted to form families with other women and have sexual relationships with them.

May 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I cannot get on board with polygamy, I just cannot accept it as okay. In many instances that I have read, regarding the FLDS group in Utah headed by Warren Jeffs, it is not all consenting adults. It is young girls being forced to marry older men, to, basically, become a slave to his wants and needs. After reading all the stories of Utah's "Lost Boys" who were cast out by their families, under direct order of Warren Jeffs, because they were competition to the older men seeking to marry teenage girls. These boys, some as young as 13, were tossed out with the clothes on their backs and left to fend for themselves on the streets, ordered never to see their families again.
These women and children are subjected to irreparable damage as a result of Polygamy. They are nothing more than victims caught in an endless cycle. Plural marriage is, and should remain, illegal because it only promotes and tolerates spousal abuse, child abuse, child neglect, pedophilia, incest, tax evasion and welfare fraud.

May 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
my mom's side of the family are all Muslim and this is something that I just don't understand at all

not all ... but for some it seems the norm for them to marry either their own cousins and have polygamous (is this a word??0 relationships

Personally ... and its just MY opinion ... I think its yuck and I've voiced that MANY times around family members lol ... yeah ... I need a muzzle for my mouth sometimes but I'm not about to just smile and pretend to be happy about things that just crawl my blood.

As far as I'm concerned .. if it floats their boat then great ... don't expect any pat on the back from me cause really I think its sort of abusive in a way for everyone involved.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
May 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I think it is hurting people because God intended for one man to be married to one woman, and I don't think that one man can seriously share himself equally between more than one woman. And we're not living in the dark ages here where a man needs more than one wife so he can have a bunch of kids to work the land and herd sheep and stuff like that. I think one wife is always going to be favored, or certain children will be favored.
I don't approve of it, I think it's sinful and wrong and i agree that a lot of people are hurt by it, especially the young girls that are forced to marry their 40 year old uncles and crap like that.
May 12th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Quote:
I think it is hurting people because God intended for one man to be married to one woman, and I don't think that one man can seriously share himself equally between more than one woman. And we're not living in the dark ages here where a man needs more than one wife so he can have a bunch of kids to work the land and herd sheep and stuff like that. I think one wife is always going to be favored, or certain children will be favored.
I don't approve of it, I think it's sinful and wrong and i agree that a lot of people are hurt by it, especially the young girls that are forced to marry their 40 year old uncles and crap like that.[/b]
Actually, the Bible condones polygamy, it is mentioned in both the old and new testament. Soloman, for instance, was said to have 700 wives. The catch, though, is that the Bible allows polgyny(one man with multiple women) and condemns polyandry (one woman with several men). The mindset is, obviously, that women are beneath the man, the head of the household, the leader. Women are possessions for men to own, not real people, not equal.

May 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Okay, so this is something i've wondered about for quite some time... What exactly is everyone's opinions on polygamy?

For me, i actually have nothing against the IDEA of it. So long as it's all consenting adults involved, i don't see how they're actually hurting anyone...

But i guess the problem comes in when you start looking at the practice. There's SO many other issues involved, that it makes it kind of murky. But i wonder, like in the case of those communities in Utah, why we don't just prosecute for the other crimes, like child abuse and stuff... Why focus on the POLYGAMY aspect, which isn't technically hurting anyone.

I dunno, this is a weird one for me... Any one else have any thoughts?[/b]
I think they are definitely hurting people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Boys_of_Polygamy

http://www.childbrides.org/boys.html

Boys are excommunicated from the group for breaking simple rules. They are also excommunicated because there is a surplus of men. They are ordered out of the group to reduce the number of male competition for brides. The older men don't want to compete with younger men for the young women.

May 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It definately isn't something I would ever consider, and I see huge red flags when I hear of older men marrying underaged teenaged girls, and sororal polygamy (sisters marrying the same man). Then again I also have issues with men being the "owner" and treating women like chattels (personal property with no rights). I've yet to see a healthy example of polygamy to base an informed decision. I've only seen the horror stories, and stories about people who try to justify what they're doing when you can blatantly see the distrust, fear or sense of inferiority in the women (that isn't communicated verbally).

Then again...I've always been interested in Polyandry that takes place in many Papua New Guinea & Native American tribes (i.e Plateau Indians). It's a great anthropoligical study of how men & women interact.
May 12th, 2007, 06:06 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really understand it. It just doesn't make sense to me, but if there's a group of consenting adults and they're all ok with it, then fine... I don't see a problem with why it should be against the law, KWIM?

May 12th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Quote:
I don't really understand it. It just doesn't make sense to me, but if there's a group of consenting adults and they're all ok with it, then fine... I don't see a problem with why it should be against the law, KWIM?[/b]

Because it is more than a group of consenting adults. Innocent children are usually brought into the equation.

May 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM
chloe82
Quote:
Quote:
I don't approve of it, I think it's sinful and wrong and i agree that a lot of people are hurt by it, especially the young girls that are forced to marry their 40 year old uncles and crap like that.[/b]
Actually, the Bible condones polygamy, it is mentioned in both the old and new testament. Soloman, for instance, was said to have 700 wives. The catch, though, is that the Bible allows polgyny(one man with multiple women) and condemns polyandry (one woman with several men). The mindset is, obviously, that women are beneath the man, the head of the household, the leader. Women are possessions for men to own, not real people, not equal.
[/b]

WRONG!!!!

The Bible does NOT "condone" polygamy, just because someone in the Bible practiced it or it is mentioned at some point doesn't mean it is condoned. There is a big difference between something being having been a cultural reality for some people at the time and something being recommended or taught for people in general, KWIM?? It NEVER says in the Bible that a man should have more than one wife. Actually, any time the Bible speaks of marriage, the commands are given in singular form....only referring to one wife or one husband. I seriously don't know where you're getting the "condone" idea from.
And considering the only commandment the Bible gives to husbands specifically is regarding that they need to love their wives as Christ loved the church and as much as they love themselves and their own bodies, to the point where they they would lay down their life for their wife, hardly sounds like something you'd be willing to do for a "possession" you "own." That is true love, complete self-sacrifice for the sake of another. THAT is what the Bible condones as far as marriage is concerned.
May 12th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't comment on these groups in Utah that you guys are referring to, I know nothing about them. I can comment on a man who used to work for my dad though. I'm not sure where he was from, but wherever it was, he legally (as far as I understand) married 3 women. He married them there and then brought them to Canada with him. The Canadian gov't would only recognize the first wife as a wife, but however he chose to live his life was his business. So he fathered children by these 3 women (8 children total), and they all lived together. I don't know the details of how they worked that all out and don't really care to. I didn't have any negative feelings about his lifestyle until one Christmas Eve. My dad had stepped out for a bit, and he came in to my office and asked if he could leave early. He said that in order to pick up his food hamper basket with his Christmas dinner in it, he had to be at the food bank within the hour. I guess I'm kind of of the opinion that if you can't afford 3 wives, maybe you shouldn't have 3 wives. He was an incredibly kind man, hard working, never came in late and never called in sick. I didn't treat him any differently after that, in fact I kind of felt sorry for him because none of the 3 wives worked outside of the home while he was busting his butt, but it still sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I can respect that other people in other cultures do things differently than we do them here, but I think that one should be able to afford their chosen lifestyle.

Polygamy is not something I agree with, or a lifestyle that I would choose for myself, but again, I can respect that other people in other cultures do things differently. As long as they can afford it and aren't hurting anyone, it's really none of my business.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
May 13th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]

WRONG!!!!

The Bible does NOT "condone" polygamy, just because someone in the Bible practiced it or it is mentioned at some point doesn't mean it is condoned. There is a big difference between something being having been a cultural reality for some people at the time and something being recommended or taught for people in general, KWIM?? It NEVER says in the Bible that a man should have more than one wife. Actually, any time the Bible speaks of marriage, the commands are given in singular form....only referring to one wife or one husband. I seriously don't know where you're getting the "condone" idea from.
And considering the only commandment the Bible gives to husbands specifically is regarding that they need to love their wives as Christ loved the church and as much as they love themselves and their own bodies, to the point where they they would lay down their life for their wife, hardly sounds like something you'd be willing to do for a "possession" you "own." That is true love, complete self-sacrifice for the sake of another. THAT is what the Bible condones as far as marriage is concerned.
[/b]
In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

"And he had forty sons and thirty nephews, that rode on threescore and ten ##### colts: and he judged Israel eight years." Judges 12:14

"But Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives, and begat twenty and two sons, and sixteen daughters." 2 Chronicles 13:21

"Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar." Genesis 16:1

"And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife." Genesis 16:3

"Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah." Genesis 25:1

"Thy silver and thy gold is mine; thy wives also and thy children, even the goodliest, are mine." 1 Kings 20:3

"And Ashur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah." 1 Chronicles 4:5

"that the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, might drink therein." Daniel 5:2

"Thy silver and thy gold is mine; thy wives also and thy children, even the goodliest, are mine." 1 Kings 20:3

"At least 18 wives - Michal, Abigail, Ahinoam of Jezreel, Eglah, Maacah, Abital, Haggith, and Bathsheba, and "10 women/concubines"

"Wherefore David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full tale to the king, that he might be the king's son in law. And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to wife." 1 Samuel 18:27. (See also 1 Samuel 19:11-18; 25:44; and 2 Samuel 3:13-14; 6:20-23.)

"David sent and communed with Abigail, to take her to him to wife. 1 Samuel 25:39

"David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel; and they were also both of them his wives." 1 Samuel 25:43

"But Saul had given Michal his daughter, David's wife," 1 Samuel 25:44

"Absalom the son of Maacah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur;" 2 Samuel 3:3

"And the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith; and the fifth, Shephatiah the son of Abital; And the sixth, Ithream, by Eglah David's wife. These were born to David in Hebron." 2 Samuel 3:4-5

"And David took him more concubines and wives" 2 Samuel 5:13, 1 Chronicles 14:3

"And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things." 2 Samuel 12:7-8

"And David comforted Bathsheba his wife..." 2 Samuel 12:24

"And the king went forth, and all his household after him. And the king left ten women, which were concubines, to keep the house." 2 Samuel 15:16. (See also 2 Samuel 16:21-23.)

"And he had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah" 1 Samuel 1:2

"And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives." Judges 8:30

"And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives." Judges 8:30

"And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him; and he went in unto her." Genesis 29:23

"And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also." Genesis 29:28

"And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her." Genesis 30:4

"When Leah saw that she had left bearing, she took Zilpah her maid, and gave her Jacob to wife." Genesis 30:9

"Jerahmeel had also another wife, whose name was Atarah; she was the mother of Onam." 1 Chronicles 2:26

"And Jehoiada took for him two wives; and he begat sons and daughters." 2 Chronicles 24:3

"And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah." Genesis 4:19

"And Machir took to wife the sister of Huppim and Shuppim, whose sister's name was Maachah and the name of the second was Zelophehad: and Zelophehad had daughters. And Maachah the wife of Machir bare a son, and she called his name Peresh; and the name of his brother was Sheresh; and his sons were Ulam and Rakem." 1 Chronicles 7:15-16

"And Rehoboam took him Mahalath the daughter of Jerimoth and Abihail the daughter of Eliab, he took Maachah the daughter of Absalom; And Rehoboam loved Maachah the daughter of Absalom above all his wives and his concubines: (for he took eighteen wives, and threescore concubines; and begat twenty and eight sons, and threescore daughters.) And he desired many wives." 2 Chronicles 11:18-23

"And Shaharaim begat children in the country of Moab, after he had sent them away; Hushim and Baara were his wives." 1 Chronicles 8:8

"And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart." 1 Kings 11:3

"And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife." Genesis 20:12

May 13th, 2007, 04:09 AM
chloe82
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usmcgirl05 @ May 12 2007, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>I think it is hurting people because God intended for one man to be married to one woman, and I don't think that one man can seriously share himself equally between more than one woman. And we're not living in the dark ages here where a man needs more than one wife so he can have a bunch of kids to work the land and herd sheep and stuff like that. I think one wife is always going to be favored, or certain children will be favored.
[/b]

WRONG!!!!

And considering the only commandment the Bible gives to husbands specifically is regarding that they need to love their wives as Christ loved the church and as much as they love themselves and their own bodies, to the point where they they would lay down their life for their wife, hardly sounds like something you'd be willing to do for a "possession" you "own." That is true love, complete self-sacrifice for the sake of another. THAT is what the Bible condones as far as marriage is concerned.[/b][/quote]
In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

"And he had forty sons and thirty nephews, that rode on threescore and ten ##### colts: and he judged Israel eight years." Judges 12:14

"But Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives, and begat twenty and two sons, and sixteen daughters." 2 Chronicles 13:21

"Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar." Genesis 16:1

"And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife." Genesis 16:3

"Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah." Genesis 25:1

"And Ashur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah." 1 Chronicles 4:5

"that the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, might drink therein." Daniel 5:2

"At least 18 wives - Michal, Abigail, Ahinoam of Jezreel, Eglah, Maacah, Abital, Haggith, and Bathsheba, and "10 women/concubines"

"Wherefore David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full tale to the king, that he might be the king's son in law. And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to wife." 1 Samuel 18:27. (See also 1 Samuel 19:11-18; 25:44; and 2 Samuel 3:13-14; 6:20-23.)

"David sent and communed with Abigail, to take her to him to wife. 1 Samuel 25:39

"David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel; and they were also both of them his wives." 1 Samuel 25:43

"But Saul had given Michal his daughter, David's wife," 1 Samuel 25:44

"Absalom the son of Maacah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur;" 2 Samuel 3:3

"And the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith; and the fifth, Shephatiah the son of Abital; And the sixth, Ithream, by Eglah David's wife. These were born to David in Hebron." 2 Samuel 3:4-5

"And David took him more concubines and wives" 2 Samuel 5:13, 1 Chronicles 14:3

"And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things." 2 Samuel 12:7-8

"And David comforted Bathsheba his wife..." 2 Samuel 12:24

"And the king went forth, and all his household after him. And the king left ten women, which were concubines, to keep the house." 2 Samuel 15:16. (See also 2 Samuel 16:21-23.)

"And he had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah" 1 Samuel 1:2

"And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him; and he went in unto her." Genesis 29:23

"And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also." Genesis 29:28

"And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her." Genesis 30:4

"When Leah saw that she had left bearing, she took Zilpah her maid, and gave her Jacob to wife." Genesis 30:9

"Jerahmeel had also another wife, whose name was Atarah; she was the mother of Onam." 1 Chronicles 2:26

"And Jehoiada took for him two wives; and he begat sons and daughters." 2 Chronicles 24:3

"And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah." Genesis 4:19

"And Machir took to wife the sister of Huppim and Shuppim, whose sister's name was Maachah and the name of the second was Zelophehad: and Zelophehad had daughters. And Maachah the wife of Machir bare a son, and she called his name Peresh; and the name of his brother was Sheresh; and his sons were Ulam and Rakem." 1 Chronicles 7:15-16

"And Rehoboam took him Mahalath the daughter of Jerimoth and Abihail the daughter of Eliab, he took Maachah the daughter of Absalom; And Rehoboam loved Maachah the daughter of Absalom above all his wives and his concubines: (for he took eighteen wives, and threescore concubines; and begat twenty and eight sons, and threescore daughters.) And he desired many wives." 2 Chronicles 11:18-23

"And Shaharaim begat children in the country of Moab, after he had sent them away; Hushim and Baara were his wives." 1 Chronicles 8:8

"And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart." 1 Kings 11:3

"And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife." Genesis 20:12
[/b][/quote]

I appreciate your input, however....
1. Those are all Old Testament references....as far as Christians go, we do not live by the letter of laws written in the OT because Christ came to be the fulfillment of that law and make it possible for people to live free of it under grace. Polygamy is not endorsed by the Christian church neither is it endorsed by the Bible because...
2. As I stated before, the Bible mentioning the act of polygamy (keep in mind cultural practices of the time) does not mean the Bible is CONDONING it. I never denied that some people in the Bible practiced it or that the Bible makes mention of it, I just stated that when you say the Bible "condones" it, you are wrong. Again, find me a verse in the Bible that CONDONES polygamy (commands followers of Christ to take part in it) and maybe we'll have something to debate. Rahab was a prostitute, Zaccheus ripped off taxpayers, King David had an adulterous affair and committed murder, does that mean the Bible condones prostitution, theft and fraud, adultery and murder? hardly.
May 13th, 2007, 05:25 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Chloe. The Bible does not condone polygamy, but like you posted, Stacey, it was practiced in the Old Testament. God never said it was okay and it actually caused a LOT of problems for both the men and the women in the stories. It is not a good idea.

Also, someone asked why they don't just prosecute for the child abuse and marrying of minors that goes on within polygamy in Utah (and other states). The answer is that is exactly what they do. They don't prosecute people for practicing polygamy because they refuse to do so in Utah. They say there are WAY too many people doing it to round them all up and throw them in jail. Also, if you were to jail all these men and women who are practicing it, then what do you do with the TONS of kids who now have no parents to look after them. I really don't know what the answer to the problem is, as I do live and Utah and can see the government's point about the problems that jailing these people presents. I guess they are doing the right thing by finding the groups that are marrying and intermarrying their 12 year olds and prosecuting those people. THIS is what I really have a problem with. It's so sad to hear some of the stories of these young girls who get out of polygamy or run away because they don't want to marry their 30 year old uncle. It just makes me sick, really. Also, many times, they have already been sexually abused by their relatives before they are even married.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

May 13th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Synth_Rag_Doll's Avatar Veteran
I don't have any problems with it, if thats the type of relationship you want to be in then do it. But I'd never consider it.
May 13th, 2007, 07:16 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
There was a show that aired on TLC a while back called "My Husband's Three Wives", and it was about a family in Texas where the husband didn't believe in monogamy, so a while after he married his first wife, he "married" the second one. They hated each other at first, but then they ended up getting along eventually. Then 20 years later he decides to bring another woman into his home and the two original wives hate her and just band up against her. I just wonder why any woman would put up with him in the first place becuase he was a controlling, egotistical jerk.
But anyways if anyone can find out if that show is going to be airing you should watch it because it's pretty interesting.
May 13th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Quote:
There was a show that aired on TLC a while back called "My Husband's Three Wives", and it was about a family in Texas where the husband didn't believe in monogamy, so a while after he married his first wife, he "married" the second one. They hated each other at first, but then they ended up getting along eventually. Then 20 years later he decides to bring another woman into his home and the two original wives hate her and just band up against her. I just wonder why any woman would put up with him in the first place becuase he was a controlling, egotistical jerk.
But anyways if anyone can find out if that show is going to be airing you should watch it because it's pretty interesting.[/b]

I saw that. It was interesting. I just kept wondering what in life made these women think that this was the type of life they deserved. I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't want your husband to love you and only you.

May 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
If you can not stay true to one person then do not get married. We are beyond (in most parts of the country) looking down on people for have children outside the marriage. I am not a religious person so will not debate that issue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search