Mother's Day

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Well, I'm sure if you were to e-mail Hallmark they could get a campaign for "Aunt's Day" going. They could use another new excuse for selling cards.

Seriously, I'm with you. But, I guess there wouldn't be any harm in sending her a note or calling her just to make her happy. You just have to humor some people.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 13th, 2007, 11:37 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think that makes her a really good aunt. Like you said, if she had raised you that would be different. I have to admit though that I am a stepmom and it bothers me a bit that no one acknowledges that on Mother's Day. My stepdaughter's mother will not let her call me on Mother's Day even though when she is with us on Father's Day we make sure she calls her stepfather. Oh well!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

May 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Veteran
I dunno. Maybe to her, having you living with her is as close as being a mother as she'll ever get.

I agree with the poster that said that sometimes, you just have to humor some people

And a very happy mother's day to you, btw!
May 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly Cece, it sounds to me like maybe your aunt has some insecurities going on regarding her non-mother-status. I have an aunt who is child-free by choice and she does not make people call her on Mother's Day! It's never even crossed anyone's mind! I mean, some holidays (Hallmark Holidays or not) are exclusive by nature. Not everyone can celebrate everything, and it's not meant to hurt or offend those who are "left out". It really makes me wonder what's going on with her (emotionally) that she would feel she deserves recognition on that level.

On the other hand, I do believe in honoring people who take on a certain role. For instance, my DH's bio dad was never in the picture, but he lived with his mother, grandma and grandpa until he was 15. His grandpa was his paternal figure so he does celebrate his grandpa on Father's Day. Ditto for stepparents or others who take on an actual parenting role.

ETA: I guess there isn't any harm in humoring her... I do have to agree with that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search