Travoltas refuse to treat autistic son

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Since Scientology does not recognize any psychiatric disorders or their treatments, the Travolta's son Jett has Autism, which is being left untreated. Jett is 14, and is said to be unable to communicate in any way, the Travolta's refuse to even admit he has it. Neighbors are asking that CPS get involved, feeling that this is abuse.

http://www.hollywoodinterrupted.com/archiv...treatment.phtml

What do you think?

May 14th, 2007, 07:30 AM
donomama
Wow! What shocked me most about this was the fact that John Travolta has an autistic son at all. I have heard about his son before, but never heard that he was autistic. It suprising to me, because most celebrities with kids with disabilities seem to talk a lot about it, how to find a cure, fundraising for it, etc. Interesting. The article said that they are embarrassed of their son's condition and I think it sounds like that may be the case.

Normally, I'm a very strong advocate of respecting religious freedom and preferences. But when it comes to a child's wellbeing, all bets are off. I don't think a parent's religious freedom should override a child's right to healthcare. If this is true, I think it is horrible. What confuses me is that, while I know that psych meds are off limits for scientologists, why haven't they done other types of treatment with him, like teaching him sign language, putting him in occupational therapy and stuff like that?

This just makes me really sad.

ETA: And yes, if everything in this article is true, then I do think it abuse and CPS should get involved, and possibly place him in another home.
May 14th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I was shocked to hear it too, they were talking about it on the radio today. The Travolta's insist that Jett has Kawasaki's syndrome, resulting from environmental toxins.
Quote:
It’s not only Kenny who thinks Jett is autistic and is being mistreated by his parents. Cure Autism Now and The Autism Perspective have also released statements urging the Travoltas to accept their son as autistic and not suffering from Kawasaki syndrome, as they reportedly believe.[/b]
http://hollywoodsnark.com/2007/05/10/the-t...e-autistic-son/

I think someone needs to step in and advocate for this boy. His parent's don't seem to be doing it.

May 14th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't believe some of the assumptions that this guy has made about the Travoltas here.

First, I have heard rumors in the past about how they have neglected Jett's condition - enough that you begin to know that where there's smoke, there's at least a little fire. Given their Scientologist beliefs about psychiatry, I wouldn't be surprised that they don't follow traditional treatments for their son. And if any of this is true, then yeah... that pisses me off.

That being said... how on earth does this restaurant manager know about everything that goes on in the Travoltas' home? I can't imagine that this guy has actually been to their house; sounds like he just knows him because the family came to his restaurant (we don't even know if he visited more than once). If that's the case, he's making some pretty bold assumptions here or just going on hearsay.

Also, I think it was kind of presumptuous for this guy to just come out and say "as one autistic child's father to another" that way. It's a little nosy if you ask me, especially if this is a celebrity who normally doesn't elaborate on family. And while they're not wallflowers, I haven't seen many cases where either John or Kelly blabber on about their families in interviews (to the point of revealing truly private things). If someone assumed something about my child like that, I'd be a little taken aback myself.

And just because someone is a celebrity, it doesn't mean that they have to set up their children as poster children for a disorder or disease. Maybe they just want it to be private, if for no other reason than for the sake of their own kids. Yes, they could raise awareness (and being in central Florida myself, I know that he does a ton of good for the Marion County area). But there's no reason to crucify him if he chooses not to.

Like I said before, I hope that he is offering some sort of treatment for his child if Jett is indeed autistic. But we don't have anything solid to go on from just this article or the gossip I've seen otherwise. And the restaurant owner is going on nothing but speculation.

Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
It’s not only Kenny who thinks Jett is autistic and is being mistreated by his parents. Cure Autism Now and The Autism Perspective have also released statements urging the Travoltas to accept their son as autistic and not suffering from Kawasaki syndrome, as they reportedly believe.[/b]
http://hollywoodsnark.com/2007/05/10/the-t...e-autistic-son/

[/b][/quote]

How do they know? Yes, they've obviously got a lot of insight as to how autistic children behave. But unless they've met Jett themselves, conducted an observation, how on God's green earth can they say they KNOW this is what he has? I have a lot of respect for some of these organizations, but they have no right to issue statements like that.
May 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought autism was a nuerological disorder?
May 14th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Quote:
I can't believe some of the assumptions that this guy has made about the Travoltas here.

First, I have heard rumors in the past about how they have neglected Jett's condition - enough that you begin to know that where there's smoke, there's at least a little fire. Given their Scientologist beliefs about psychiatry, I wouldn't be surprised that they don't follow traditional treatments for their son. And if any of this is true, then yeah... that pisses me off.

That being said... how on earth does this restaurant manager know about everything that goes on in the Travoltas' home? I can't imagine that this guy has actually been to their house; sounds like he just knows him because the family came to his restaurant (we don't even know if he visited more than once). If that's the case, he's making some pretty bold assumptions here or just going on hearsay.

Also, I think it was kind of presumptuous for this guy to just come out and say "as one autistic child's father to another" that way. It's a little nosy if you ask me, especially if this is a celebrity who normally doesn't elaborate on family. And while they're not wallflowers, I haven't seen many cases where either John or Kelly blabber on about their families in interviews (to the point of revealing truly private things). If someone assumed something about my child like that, I'd be a little taken aback myself.

And just because someone is a celebrity, it doesn't mean that they have to set up their children as poster children for a disorder or disease. Maybe they just want it to be private, if for no other reason than for the sake of their own kids. Yes, they could raise awareness (and being in central Florida myself, I know that he does a ton of good for the Marion County area). But there's no reason to crucify him if he chooses not to.

Like I said before, I hope that he is offering some sort of treatment for his child if Jett is indeed autistic. But we don't have anything solid to go on from just this article or the gossip I've seen otherwise. And the restaurant owner is going on nothing but speculation.[/b]
They won't even admit that he has Autism. They insist it is Kawasakis syndrome, caused by environmental toxins (carpet cleaner, to be exact).
I am not saying that they must take Jett out and make him the poster child for autism or put him on public display. But, when even organizations such as Cure Autism Now and The Autism Perspective are getting involved, there is a problem. They are making their child suffer because they "don't believe" in psychiatric and neurological disorders.

Quote:
I thought autism was a nuerological disorder?[/b]
Scientologists don't acknowledge neurological disorders.

Quote:
How do they know? Yes, they've obviously got a lot of insight as to how autistic children behave. But unless they've met Jett themselves, conducted an observation, how on God's green earth can they say they KNOW this is what he has? I have a lot of respect for some of these organizations, but they have no right to issue statements like that.[/b]
They do if they believe that child is being neglected. Given the background and belief system of the Scientologists, do you honestly believe that this is such a stretch. Sorry, but, IMO, someone needs to step in, someone needs to help this child.

May 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Ms.Michelle
I really don't like Hollywood gossip this horrible. I don't think we have any business here and it's sounds more like a smear campaign against their religion. Until we take away kids for getting circumised, I don't think we have a right to assume they aren't caring for their son in the best way possible.
May 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
They won't even admit that he has Autism. They insist it is Kawasakis syndrome, caused by environmental toxins (carpet cleaner, to be exact).[/b]
How do we know they're not right? Who exactly has examined this child?

I looked up Kawasaki's and don't see symptoms that coincide with ASD characteristics, so I wouldn't see a valid point of confusion. I guess that's the explanation as to why Jett isn't taken out as much (exposure to chemicals). But who exactly has seen Jett exhibit ASD symptoms? Are they just basing it on how they don't take Jett out and about? That could be for any number of reasons.

Again, if he does indeed have ASD then they're doing him a grave disservice if they're denying him any treatment. Absolutely. But there is so much being assumed here, that nailing them to a wall on this doesn't seem right to me.
May 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
First of all, I am not "nailing them to the wall", I am participating in a discussion in the debate forum, if you don't want to participate, feel free to move to the next topic. Second, given the cultish nature of the Scientology religion, and their failure to recognize psychiatric and neurologic treatments as anything more than "pseudoscience", I don't see this as such a stretch. The speculation has existed for years that Jett is autistic.
Kawasaki syndrome:
Quote:
Kawasaki Disease is an illness that involves the skin, mouth, and lymph nodes, and typically affects children who are under the age of 5. The cause of Kawasaki Disease is unknown, but if the symptoms are recognized early, kids with the disease can fully recover within a few days. If it goes untreated, it can lead to serious complications that can involve the heart.

Kawasaki disease occurs in 19 out of every 100,000 kids in the United States. It is most common among children of Japanese and Korean descent, but the illness can affect all ethnic groups.

This illness can't be prevented, but you can help your child by learning the telltale symptoms and signs, which typically include a fever that lasts for at least 5 days, red eyes, a body rash and severely-chapped lips and mouth. If your child shows these symptoms it's a good idea to call the doctor.

Signs and Symptoms of Kawasaki Disease
The symptoms of Kawasaki Disease typically appear in phases.

The first phase, which can last for up to 2 weeks, usually involves a persistent fever that is higher than 104 degrees Fahrenheit (39 degrees Celsius), and lasts for at least 5 days. The other symptoms that typically develop include:

severe redness in the eyes
a rash on the child's stomach, chest, and genitals
red, dry, cracked lips
swollen tongue with a white coating and big red bumps
sore, irritated throat
swollen palms of the hands and soles of the feet with a purple-red color
swollen lymph nodes
During the second phase of the illness, which usually begins within two weeks of when the fever first begins, the skin on the child's hands and feet may begin to peel in large pieces. The child may also experience joint pain, diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain.

Complications of Kawasaki Disease
Doctors can manage the symptoms of Kawasaki disease if they catch it early. The symptoms typically disappear within just two days of when treatment begins. Usually, if Kawasaki disease is treated within 10 days of when the first symptoms begin, no heart problems develop.

But if the illness goes untreated (time period can vary, but likely for 10-14 days and sooner in young infants), it can lead to more serious complications that involve the child's heart. Kawasaki disease can lead to vasculitis, which is an inflammation of the blood vessels. This can be particularly dangerous because it can affect the coronary arteries, which supply blood to the heart.

In addition to the coronary arteries, the heart muscle, lining, valves, or the outer membrane that surrounds the heart can become inflamed. Arrhythmias (changes in the normal pattern of the heartbeat) or abnormal functioning of some heart valves can also occur.

Diagnosing Kawasaki Disease
There is no one test to detect Kawasaki disease, so a doctor typically diagnoses it by evaluating the child's symptoms and ruling out other conditions.

Typically, a child who is diagnosed with this illness will have a fever lasting 5 or more days and at least 4 of the following symptoms:

redness in both eyes
changes around the lips, tongue, or mouth
changes in the fingers and toes, such as swelling, discoloration, or peeling
a rash in the trunk or genital area
a large swollen lymph node in the neck
red, swollen palms of hands and soles of feet
If Kawasaki disease is suspected, a doctor may order tests to monitor the child's heart function, which can include an echocardiogram, and other tests of heart function. A doctor may also take blood and urine samples to rule out other conditions, such as scarlet fever, measles, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, and an allergic drug reaction.

Treating Kawasaki Disease
Treatment should begin as soon as possible, ideally within 10 days of when the fever first begins. Usually, a child is treated with intravenous doses of gamma globulin (purified antibodies), an ingredient of blood that helps the child's body fight off infection. The child may also be given a high-dose of aspirin to reduce the risk of heart problems.[/b]
Edited because I thought you said that KS and ASD were similar, I just reread.

Is it so unbelievable, given that many of the symptoms of autism are just observations of behavior, that there is a CONCERN about him having the condition and it going unrecognized and untreated.

May 14th, 2007, 08:17 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
First - how the heck does this restaurant owner, who met the Travolta's ONCE and comped them a meal, know everything that happens (or doesn't happen) in that household? From the article: "The Kennys also claim that Kelly and John "let Jett sit in front of video games all day eating junk food, while they eat the best organic food money can buy. " How could he POSSIBLY know that?

Second - is it even proven that the kid has autism in the first place? Who examined him and said "Yes this is definately autism"? Is it now against the law for a family to privately care for their child?

Third - So just because the Travolta's didn't accept the restaurant owner's invitations to an Autism Awareness thingy, he's automatically not taking care of his kid?! From the article: "Joking aside, the Kennys are "disgusted by" Travolta. They claim that Travolta has turned down invitations to participate in autism fundraisers"

??

I'm sorry, this article isn't even credible. I looked through their archives and all of the articles in there are filled with random Hollywood gossip. Find me an article that has some sources that don't include he-said-she-said, and I can debate it.
May 14th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
First - how the heck does this restaurant owner, who met the Travolta's ONCE and comped them a meal, know everything that happens (or doesn't happen) in that household? From the article: "The Kennys also claim that Kelly and John "let Jett sit in front of video games all day eating junk food, while they eat the best organic food money can buy. " How could he POSSIBLY know that?

Second - is it even proven that the kid has autism in the first place? Who examined him and said "Yes this is definately autism"? Is it now against the law for a family to privately care for their child?

Third - So just because the Travolta's didn't accept the restaurant owner's invitations to an Autism Awareness thingy, he's automatically not taking care of his kid?! From the article: "Joking aside, the Kennys are "disgusted by" Travolta. They claim that Travolta has turned down invitations to participate in autism fundraisers"

??

I'm sorry, this article isn't even credible. I looked through their archives and all of the articles in there are filled with random Hollywood gossip. Find me an article that has some sources that don't include he-said-she-said, and I can debate it.[/b]
((nods head in agreement))
May 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Ms.Michelle
I don't think they would even have a case for CPS involvement.

Quote:
There is no single best treatment package for all children with ASD.[/b]
National Institute of Mental Health, Autism Spectrum Disorders.
May 14th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
First of all, I am not "nailing them to the wall", I am participating in a discussion in the debate forum, if you don't want to participate, feel free to move to the next topic.[/b]
I never said that you were specifically. I was speaking about the speculation in general. Read the nature of the articles posted, and they're rather presumptuous and accusatory. I'm no fan of Scientology myself - in fact, a good friend of mine from high school wound up being brainwashed by them and had to escape. But the articles and quotes have the mean-spirited undercurrent usually reserved for gossip instead of factual reporting.

Quote:
Is it so unbelievable, given that many of the symptoms of autism are just observations of behavior, that there is a CONCERN about him having the condition and it going unrecognized and untreated.[/b]
There's a difference between concern and out-and-out accusasions that he is not being treated properly. I have not seen any evidence that people from Cure Autism Now or The Autism Perspective have directly observed his behavior at all. From what I have read, they've only observed his parents.
May 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I am the first person to normally jump on the bandwagon against Scientology, but in this case I need more info. This is NOT at all a credible source of information, and I can't base my opinion on a Hollywood gossip blog. If it were true that he absolutely was autistic, and being denied treatment, then yes, CPS should get involved. But there's no way to know whether it is true or not from a gossip blog that has no real source besides a restaurant manager.
May 14th, 2007, 09:14 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Well I'll be the first to admit that I think people who practice Scientology must suffer from some type of psychiatric problem!

As far as that article goes, I don't think it's proof that Jett has Autism. If it turns out that he does and that his parents are doing anything to treat it I'm not sure that even CPS can do anything about it. Autism isn't really an "illness" that needs to be treated with medication. Children with Autism tend to benefit more from different types of therapies and intervention. Since no medication is required that would effect his health I'm not sure that anyone can be forced to put their child into things like occupational therapy.

If it is true that he has Autism and his parents refuse to recognize it then I truly feel sad for the boy. I think the article said he is 14 years old. If he has Autism and no intervention has been made yet, it isn't likely that he will ever improve drastically. Autism intervention works best at younger ages.

May 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:

??

I'm sorry, this article isn't even credible. I looked through their archives and all of the articles in there are filled with random Hollywood gossip. Find me an article that has some sources that don't include he-said-she-said, and I can debate it.[/b]
Ditto the points I was going to make exactly! Malicious gossip like this ticks me off to no end. Blog BS IMO.
Kelly Preston has been actively campaigning for healthier environments for children. she's the spokesperson for the Children's Health and Environmental Coalition, she has given lots of interviews about the effects of these toxins in the home on children, including her son, who contracted Kawasaki's Disease - why would she hide it if he was autistic, or deny him healthy food when healthy organic living is her "pet cause" - honestly, it doesn't add up. And lets just say Jett is autistic - who's to say he isn't getting help at home, what do these people know - he could have private therapists - it's not like they could speak up and say they were treating him, that would be confidential! My son is autistic, and other than him going to a special needs preschool and getting speech therapy, he doesn't get any specail medical treatment. Everyhting they do at his preschool and speech, we could be doing at home, either ourselves or with private therapists if we had the money or resources - IF their son does have autism, whose to say the Travolta's aren;t ding just that. Why would they share their private business with a restauarnt owner? As celebrities they probably don't share personal information with just anyone thinking that person would likely run traight to the press - gee I wonder why they might think that Give me a break. Give them a break.
So what do I think? In a word, phooey.

eta no time to edit all the NAK typos, sorry

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Well if he really is Autistic they might deny it because Scientology does not recognize such disorders. This of course, does not mean he does or does not have it. If he does it really is their business and who knows if we will ever find out for sure.

May 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Well if he really is Autistic they might deny it because Scientology does not recognize such disorders.[/b]
Ah. But just because they might not recognize him as autistic, doesn't mean he is being abused or neglected.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 14th, 2007, 10:57 AM
The religion considers anyone with a psychological or neurological disorder as "degraded beings".
Quote:
DB, Degraded Being. Someone so infested with Body Thetans, evil spirits, as to be in-auditable or insane. Also used as a general derogatory term. "These psychs are all DBs; without the tech, they won't make it."[/b]
http://www.xenu.net/archive/dictionary/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search