Safe Haven Laws

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2007, 09:32 PM
mommyKathyX3
Recently here there was a story about a lady who found a newborn (under 24 hrs old) wrapped up with umbillical cord still attatched laying next to a dumpster abandonded. If there was safe haven laws here this would have NEVER happened I really think! Why I say that is that if the mother didnt care about what happened to the baby she would have put it IN the dumpster or put it somewhere that is not nearly as populated, but she didnt. It was actually laying in a fairly populated area, like it was wanting to be found. I know some people dont think Safe Haven laws are good, and they encourage abandonment, but I really dont think so. I think lots of women just dont know what to do with the babies. It would get lots of kids out of possible bad situations, abusive situations and neglect and even the possiblity of death. What do you guys think about Safe Haven Laws?

Link to Story
May 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I posted a debate about something like this a while ago. The story involved 3 abandoned babies. Through DNA testing they were able to determine that all of the babies came from the same mother. The state had Safe Haven laws in place but the woman abandoned her babies in the back of truck beds. One baby died.

Honestly, I do think Safe Haven laws. I think if it even saves some children it is better than nothing. However, just because they are in place doesn't mean that everyone will use them unfortunately. It makes me so sad that someone would abandon their child by a dumpster.

May 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
chlodoll
People just dont know about them. If someone has gotten no medical help throughout their pregnancy and hasnt even told anyone they were pregnant there is a good chance they dont know about these places and the rules of it.
May 15th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think they're good laws, if they save a few babies thats better then nothing. I don't know that it encourages abandonment, as much as it encourages those in a bad sitaution to have a safe place [or presumably safe] for the child to go with no questions asked.
May 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm all for them! Obviously, I would much rather see a baby dropped off at a safe place than left in the elements or in a dumpster!
May 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM
donomama
I don't know if we have safe haven laws around here. If we do, they are not very well advertised at all. I think that more needs to be done to get the word out, because I think it is much better than a woman ditching her baby somewhere. (obviously)
May 15th, 2007, 08:31 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I don't know how are laws are here either... I think we may have them, but I'm not sure... that makes me sad that I don't even know, because I am a person that is out and about all the time and if I don't know I can't imagine someone in the situation where they would want to do that actually knowing about the laws.... I wish every state had them and really let people know.... Like PP's said even if it saves 1 baby that's one that could have otherwise left to die in a ditch or a dumpster.... I don't think it would encourage abondment at all, actually I would hope that if it becomes a bigger oppurtunity women would choose that over abortion.

May 15th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Ms.Michelle
I don't think safe haven laws are advertised everywhere.. Like a few people have said, they don't even know if it's in their area.. Honestly, I just assumed they were here. I support safe haven laws and want there to be more understanding for those scared.
May 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM
mommyKathyX3
http://www.robynsnest.com/statesafehaven.htm

to find out what your state laws are click here. 37 states have SOME sort of law
May 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
We have Safe Haven laws in MD and I 100% support them. They are even advertised on TV with the former first lady explaining how it works.
May 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM
asianmama
we have a safe haven law but not many people use it
May 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm for them.

I don't know if we have them here though.

On Mothers Day a newborn baby was left outside a hospital here in Australia. There is a huge row going on now about a healine by the Sydney Telegragh paper's healine yesterday. Perhaps if we did have safe haven laws here then what this women felt she had to do would not be looked at as badly as it is being done by some media folk.

Baby Catherine.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search