My daughter is a guinea pig!

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Purdue University is about 5 miles away from us. I found out through a neighbor that the university “Baby Lab” is always looking for infants to use for their research. So, I signed my DD up for one tomorrow. The research focus is on how infants “learn language and make sense of objects.”

I called and basically, she will sit on my lap and look at pictures on a screen. At some point, they will have a word played and they are timing to see how long she looks at the picture before and after the word is played. I have to wear headphones so I don’t influence her in any way. The whole thing is supposed to take less than 10 minutes.

I think this is so interesting and I’m thrilled that my DD can help scientists learn more! But, when I told a friend about it, she didn’t seem too impressed and said something about not wanting her child to be “used” that way.

Does anyone else feel this way? Would you allow your child to participate in research studies?
May 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM
donomama
I would definitely do it. It sounds completely harmless to me, and I'm with you that I think it's cool that she is helping further research about babies and how they think and learn. My FIL is a psychology professor and they do stuff like this all the time. I think it's fascinating!
May 15th, 2007, 09:07 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I would absolutely do it. I don't see how she's being "used" by participating in research that could help other families in the future.
May 15th, 2007, 09:08 AM
mommyKathyX3
Those kind of studies I'm ALL for! Cause nothing is being DONE to your daughter, they are just observing her reactions. I'm hesitant about those ones that they give babies experimental drugs or that kind of stuff. I think the kind you are doing, its facinating!
May 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
mommyofdani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyofdani
Quote:
Those kind of studies I'm ALL for! Cause nothing is being DONE to your daughter, they are just observing her reactions. I'm hesitant about those ones that they give babies experimental drugs or that kind of stuff. I think the kind you are doing, its facinating![/b]

May 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys! I'm confident in my decision to let her participate. But, for a split second, after my friend said that I felt like a bad mom.
May 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH is a child neuropsychologist, and he has a hard time finding subjects for his research. A lot of people are very skeptical of psychological experiments because they think they will mess with your head or something. In the past, there were some really shady experiments done, but nowadays the restrictions are so strict. He has to go through so many ethics panels, etc to get his projects approved. Even so, a lot of parents are reluctant to allow their children to be a part of the research. His latest one was just a written test to test improvement in reading skills throughout the school year and there was a parent upset about that!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
chloe82
I think it's a great thing to do!! You're not in any way harming your daughter, for her it will probably just be an entertaining, interesting thing to do...so I have no idea, really, why your friend has a problem with it. I wouldn't have any qualms at all about it. And, you're doing a good thing, being willing to help out science learn more about children and how they learn!! SOMEbody has to be willing to participate in these studies for doctors, teachers, parents, etc to be able to better understand, teach and raise our children. I don't see any downside at all, I say go for it and don't let anyone make you feel guilty!
May 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I personally have been the subect of various psych research projects and the results are so useful to the further study of behaviour. It's so true, there's an ethics panel, and strict guidelines and the researchers share the results with you once the study is complete. Without studies like this we wouldn't know many things about child development, and it's always evolving and gaining better insight. I wouldn't worry and if the opportunity arises for my child to participate when I would do it.
May 15th, 2007, 02:01 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
It isn't like they are doing anything invasive, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm....I figured there would be at least one mom on here that agreed with my friend. None yet!
May 15th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i would be ok with something like that
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I can't see why your friend would have a problem with it. Did she give any explanation?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SpyderBaby
I don't see a thing wrong with what you've decided to do! I don't see how your daughter is being 'used'.
May 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think it's great. This is how scientists learn about babies so that they can develop products for them or to learn to help them if they are delayed. It isn't like they are pumping her full of experimental drugs or anything.

May 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM
mommyKathyX3
So far looks like your friend was just jealous of your opportunity
May 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I sure would! That sounds cool, too.

Julia's involved in an on-going research study from the U. of Washington regarding Netherton's Syndrome. Periodically they'll ask for hair/blood/DNA samples (cells from mouth on Q-tip) and an update on her progress (skin, health, and development-wise).
May 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Dani has been studied since 5 months and I have no issues with it. As long as other children will benefit and she is not illused.
May 15th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I can't see why your friend would have a problem with it. Did she give any explanation?[/b]

No, not really. Just said something about not wanting her child to be "used" like that and then she muttered something about not understanding why they would need her kid anyway.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search