Why is it such a bad thing?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
The name "perfect" gets thrown around in debates a lot as an insult. Why is being perfect a bad thing? Every morning I wake up and I try to be a "perfect" mom. I know it's an unattainable goal, but I think everyone should strive to be a perfect mom, pet owner, worker, wife, ect... because if you strive for perfection you'll at least end up being a ###### good "whatever". so why is being called "perfect" an insult? I think from now on when someone says I'm perfect, I'll just say "thank you."
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I am perfect. I have a tshirt that says so.

May 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM
donomama
It's true - Stacey is perfect. I don't try to be perfect, I try to be Stacey.
May 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
You ladies are great!

I think when someone uses "perfect" as an insult they are just implying that you think you are perfect. Right?

Nobody's perfect but wouldn't it be cool? We can always pretend!

</MARQUEE>
May 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I'm not perfect by any means, but I do try! I don't get irritated when someone says that I think I'm perfect in a debate, b/c it's usually said by a poster who is getting their panties in a bunch about something and I try to ignore those posts anyway!
May 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
I am perfect. I have a tshirt that says so.[/b]
Stacey what DONT you have a t-shirt for?
May 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Quote:
It's true - Stacey is perfect. I don't try to be perfect, I try to be Stacey.[/b]
That should be the new rebuttle. "oooooh, you all think you are soooo STACEY, don't you!". I really like it.

Quote:
Stacey what DONT you have a t-shirt for?[/b]
Green peace.

May 15th, 2007, 05:14 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Stacey what DONT you have a t-shirt for?[/b]
Green peace.
[/b][/quote]

Is that something you WANT? If it is, I'm sure we could find one for you?
May 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hubby says I can be a perfect "witch with a b" sometimes but that's about the only way I can see that adjective used to describe me
I actually don't even strive for perfection, I'd be bound to disappoint myself...

I have a t-shirt that says "Pobody's Nerfect" - silly but I like it

You're right though, I really only ever see the term "perfect" used sarcastically, as an insult.
To me, perfect means cold, and boring, and superficial. The best things (and people) in my life are often messy and flawed and real - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 15th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>Stacey what DONT you have a t-shirt for?[/b]
Green peace.
[/b][/quote]

Is that something you WANT? If it is, I'm sure we could find one for you?
[/b][/quote]
Oh yeah, I want the one with pictures of toilet paper rolls on each boob that says "don't squeeze the Charmin". But, no, not really interested in the green peace one.
OH YEAH! And I need one that says "I ##### ROCK!"

May 15th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Honestly, I don't even strive for perfection. Mostly because I will never be perfect and that will just cause me too much stress. I don't need the pressure. I just prefer to do the best job I can. Even in parenting...I'm bound to make mistakes, which I'm sure my son will find a way to tell me (likely during his teen years). Until then...I do what dh and I find to be appropriate for our family.

May 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The name "perfect" gets thrown around in debates a lot as an insult. Why is being perfect a bad thing? Every morning I wake up and I try to be a "perfect" mom. I know it's an unattainable goal, but I think everyone should strive to be a perfect mom, pet owner, worker, wife, ect... because if you strive for perfection you'll at least end up being a ###### good "whatever". so why is being called "perfect" an insult? I think from now on when someone says I'm perfect, I'll just say "thank you."[/b]
I don't think being perfect is the problem. The thing is that NO ONE is perfect, no matter how much we try, we ALL make mistakes. I think when someone uses "perfect" as an insult, it's because the other person is acting as if she's perfect. And to be honest, that's very annoying. It's the whole holier-than-thou attitude that often goes with the Mommy Wars.

Sharon
May 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I get too stressed out when I strive to be perfect, because what I tell myself when I get anxious is "It's OK to not be perfect"...so it's sort of counter-active lol
May 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
LMAO I actually do not go for the perfect category. I go for the ##### one. Now I will consider myself the perfect #####.
May 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Quote:
LMAO I actually do not go for the perfect category. I go for the ##### one. Now I will consider myself the perfect #####.[/b]
LOL! You are way too good at it, Kelly. Personally, I am with you. I really don't take it as an insult to be called a #####, not one little bit. I am not ashamed to say, it is slightly empowering to me. Only because, stereotypically, if a woman has an independent thought or a controversial one, she is automatically labeled as such. I have worn the label proudly for quite some time now.

May 15th, 2007, 08:00 PM
chloe82
Quote:
Quote:
LMAO I actually do not go for the perfect category. I go for the ##### one. Now I will consider myself the perfect #####.[/b]
LOL! You are way too good at it, Kelly. Personally, I am with you. I really don't take it as an insult to be called a #####, not one little bit. I am not ashamed to say, it is slightly empowering to me. Only because, stereotypically, if a woman has an independent thought or a controversial one, she is automatically labeled as such. I have worn the label proudly for quite some time now.
[/b]
I don't think women are labelled a ##### for having independent or controversial thoughts....I think they're labelled that when they present those thoughts in an abrasive, aggressive and/or obnoxious manner. A woman can be a ##### when she says things that aren't all that original or controversial but when she presents herself in that way, no matter what the viewpoint.
As for the perfect mom argument, sure we all try our best and we all strive to be the perfect mom to our own children, but I think that term gets thrown as an insult when someone starts acting like they are a better mom than other moms, not taking into account individualities between moms, kids, families, situations, etc, and come across as all-knowing and self-righteous. I can understand why it was thrown out there in the other debate, I dare not speak it's name.
May 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM
chloe82
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdhdtrue @ May 15 2007, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>LMAO I actually do not go for the perfect category. I go for the ##### one. Now I will consider myself the perfect #####.[/b]
[/b]
I don't think women are labelled a ##### for having independent or controversial thoughts....I think they're labelled that when they present those thoughts in an abrasive, aggressive and/or obnoxious manner. A woman can be a ##### when she says things that aren't all that original or controversial but when she presents herself in that way, no matter what the viewpoint.
As for the perfect mom argument, sure we all try our best and we all strive to be the perfect mom to our own children, but I think that term gets thrown as an insult when someone starts acting like they are a better mom than other moms, not taking into account individualities between moms, kids, families, situations, etc, and come across as all-knowing and self-righteous. I can understand why it was thrown out there in the other debate, I dare not speak it's name.
[/b][/quote]

*whispers* I know!!! That spelling debate was HARSH, man.
[/b][/quote]

Haha, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not becuase I never even read the spelling debate...so obviously that's not the debate i'm referring to!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search