Texas Community Outlaws Renting to Illegals

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
The link doesn't seem to work.

However, based on the quotes you have I wouldn't say it is discrimination. Renting generally requires a legal document to be signed and most landlords require proof of certain things (identity, income, etc.). This is all in order to protect the landlord and the renter.

I think if you know someone is in the country illegally and you choose to rent to them it could actually be considered aiding and abetting a criminal (or something along those lines). If they want to rent property than all they have to do is to enter the country legally. Having the proper documents will help to protect the landlord in case he should need to press charges in regards to the rental (property damage, failure to pay rent).

Now I'm sure there are those who are going to consider me discriminatory for saying all this.

May 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I always hate threads about illegal immigrants because my opinion seems so much different than my values that I'm uncomfortable with it. But, here it goes: I agree with this restriction. People need to enter this country legally. If they do not abide by our means of entering this coutry legally, they should not be given medical benefits, employment or housing.
May 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Quote:
I always hate threads about illegal immigrants because my opinion seems so much different than my values that I'm uncomfortable with it. But, here it goes: I agree with this restriction. People need to enter this country legally. If they do not abide by our means of entering this coutry legally, they should not be given medical benefits, employment or housing.[/b]

Oh thank goodness! I always feel like the outsider in debates like these.

May 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
Link to full article.

Excerpts from article:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Texas residents know the woes of the growing illegal immigrant problems. But in Farmer's Branch, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, residents took the law into their own hands on a public ballot when they became the first in the entire country to make it against the law for landlords to rent to illegal immigrants.[/b]
Quote:
Opponents of the band will battle it out in court to prevent the city from enforcing this new anti-illegal immigrant law. Such opponents include civil rights groups, residents, business and property owners who believe the law discriminates and puts landlords in the position of "border control" officers.[/b]
So, what do you think of this? Is this discrimination? Civil rights violations? Or is it simply towns taking control of a problem the federal government hasn't been able to get a handle on?
[/b][/quote]

I don't know...do you have civil rights in a country that you're in illegally? I don't see it as a problem to not rent to people who choose to be in this country in an illegal manner. I'm glad that the town passed the law that it did and hope that more towns follow suit.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Two thumbs up. I had to provide legal proof of my residency when I rented an apartment, why shouldn't they? I see it much like employment for illegals, it shouldn't be allowed. I'm glad this law passed.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure how this would violate their "civil rights." I went and looked up the term civil rights just in case I was mistaken. Here is what I found.

civil rights
pl.n.

The rights belonging to an individual by virtue of citizenship, especially the fundamental freedoms and privileges guaranteed by the 13th and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution and by subsequent acts of Congress, including civil liberties, due process, equal protection of the laws, and freedom from discrimination.
adj. or civ·il-rights (sĭv'əl-rīts')

1. Of or relating to such rights or privileges: civil rights legislation.
2. Of or relating to a political movement, especially during the 1950s and 1960s, devoted to securing equal opportunity and treatment for members of minority groups.

http://www.answers.com/topic/civil-rights

Seems that civil rights are granted to those who have citizenship.

May 15th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
This should be a federal law.

May 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM
donomama
I agree that this should be a law everywhere. I'm sure that they'll just find a way around it anyway. Everywhere I have ever rented you need to supply your SSN. Many illegals have fake SSN's anyway.
May 16th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Link to full article.

Excerpts from article:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Texas residents know the woes of the growing illegal immigrant problems. But in Farmer's Branch, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, residents took the law into their own hands on a public ballot when they became the first in the entire country to make it against the law for landlords to rent to illegal immigrants.[/b]
Quote:
Opponents of the band will battle it out in court to prevent the city from enforcing this new anti-illegal immigrant law. Such opponents include civil rights groups, residents, business and property owners who believe the law discriminates and puts landlords in the position of "border control" officers.[/b]
So, what do you think of this? Is this discrimination? Civil rights violations? Or is it simply towns taking control of a problem the federal government hasn't been able to get a handle on?
[/b][/quote]

I am for it.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 16th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think this is a great idea. The only way that this would bother me is if they also made it illegal to rent to non-citizens who are here legally. But it's not - it targets illegal immigrants only.
May 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Quote:
I think this is a great idea. The only way that this would bother me is if they also made it illegal to rent to non-citizens who are here legally. But it's not - it targets illegal immigrants only.[/b]
They can't target legals, it would then become a matter of discriminating on a basis of national origin - which is illegal. Those of us who have green cards, visas, or are otherwise in the country legally have most of the same protections in place as citizens do.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search